Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-09, 11:12 PM   #1
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default crankbait rod and reel

i know it has been on here but i can't find the answer i am looking for. i am gonna get a new setup for crankin but i don't know what to get. i know i need a moderate action but what length, and why the lower gear ratio for cranks. i have a pennical baitcaster laying around i could use but its a 6.4.1. is that too fast? i fish mainly coal mine ponds light cover mostly some grass and leaves is all thats there. i fish from both a boat and the bank equally.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 08:47 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

way too fast.. cranks need a 5.1 at most the deeper diving the crank the slower you need to go..i use mostly 7 foot rods medium if your slinging small cranks mh if they are the bigger ones..

zooker
Old 07-30-09, 08:54 AM   #3
Bassboss

Ya, that's way to fast! For shallow cranks it's not though. But if you're gonna be fishing anything more than 6' dive depth, using a lower gear ratio. It will give you more power with the hard pulling cranks.

if you don't believe us, go get a Norman DD25 and cast it on any reel that has a 6.4:1, and try fishing it all day! You'll be lucky to do it for an hour and a half!

Good luck!
Old 07-30-09, 12:01 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

if you don't believe us, go get a Norman DD25 and cast it on any reel that has a 6.4:1, and try fishing it all day! You'll be lucky to do it for an hour and a half!

Good luck!
BB is right...I fish Norman DD22's a lot. They dive to 17 feet or more. Switching to a reel with a 4.6:1 ratio made a tremendous difference over a 6.2:1 reel I was using. Sooooooo much easier to retrieve.
Old 07-30-09, 02:39 PM   #5
wareagledc

i don't get it. it seems you would crank it down faster with a higher gear then just reel slower. i don't use the dd22 i hardley ever go over 10 feet, mostley a dt6 is deep enough. in a few years when i get bit by the boat monkey i will upgrade to fishing deeper cranks. i am going to gander mt saturday to look around and see what they have. i hope they have the st croix avid cranking rods. they look good on the iternet but i won't spend money on a fishing rod unitl i hold it.
Old 07-30-09, 02:47 PM   #6
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A crankbait will only go so deep. Cranking faster won't make it go any deeper. A lower ratio is used because it gives you more torque for the big, deepdiving lures. You'll wear out your wrist if you use a fast reel on a big lipped crankbait that dive to 20 feet.
Old 07-30-09, 02:50 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
A crankbait will only go so deep. Cranking faster won't make it go any deeper. A lower ratio is used because it gives you more torque for the big, deepdiving lures. You'll wear out your wrist if you use a fast reel on a big lipped crankbait that dive to 20 feet.
What he said!

Just try, you'll see what we mean! Also are your crankbaits digging into the bottom?

Try to look at it this way. If you where driving your truck up a steep hill, or off road, would you put it in drive, or into 2nd, or 3rd gear?
Old 07-30-09, 02:52 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagledc View Post
i don't get it. it seems you would crank it down faster with a higher gear then just reel slower. i don't use the dd22 i hardley ever go over 10 feet, mostley a dt6 is deep enough. in a few years when i get bit by the boat monkey i will upgrade to fishing deeper cranks. i am going to gander mt saturday to look around and see what they have. i hope they have the st croix avid cranking rods. they look good on the iternet but i won't spend money on a fishing rod unitl i hold it.
Remember, cranking depth has little to do with gear ratio...it only affects how fast you'll need to turn the handle to achieve a given retrieve speed. When you have to turn the reel handle faster, as in a low-gear-ratio reel, you have more power, i.e. you're doing less work per revolution of the handle.

A good way to look at it is, I can exert 1 lb of force on my reel handle all day long, even if I have to reel faster, but if I have to exert 10 lbs on it, I'm going to tire out sooner, even if I'm reeling slowly.
Old 07-30-09, 03:20 PM   #9
wareagledc

ok i saw the little light bulb click on thank yall for the explanations. i will look into the reels at gander.
Old 07-30-09, 06:04 PM   #10
keithdog

I know of a couple reels you might be interrested in. BPS sells the David Fritts reel designed for crankbait fishing. It comes in a 4:7-1 gear ratio which is a good choice. It sells for around $90.00 Shimano makes the Curado which has a gear ration of 5:0-1 in the model CU200E5. It sells for $180.00. Other than the break system on the Shimano, I don't know what the real advantages are in the Shimano to make it so much more expensive. I know several guys here really like the David Fritts reel. At $200.00 you can buy the Garcia Revo winch which has a 5:4-1 ratio. I'm a Garcia man but I would have a hard time swallowing spending that much cash for fishing crankbaits.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 04:10 AM   #11
Memphisbassin
BassFishin.Com Member

I use crankbaits almost all the time and find that a 7' to 7'10" medium action rod with fast action works the best. The reason for the longer rods and the fast action tip is for longer cast. Part of getting the crankbait as deep as the manufacturers say they will get is getting a long enough cast, not how fast you retrieve the lure.

Another thing you have to look at when you are cranking and trying to get the lure as deep as possible is the line you are using. The heavier the line the thicker the diameter of the line which could keep your crankbait from getting as deep as it should.

Since you say you are looking for equipment just for cranking, I would recommend the David Fritts rod and reel from Bass Pro Shops. I'm on a budget so I can't go out and spend three or four hundred dollars and for the money I don't think you can beat it.

The rod I'm using using is a 7' and the reel is 4:7:1 gear ratio. I absolutely love this set up and would recommend it to anyone.
Memphisbassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.