Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-06, 10:47 PM   #1
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman
Default 3 ambassadeur's

i have 3 Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 c reels that i inherited from my grandfather. wanting to know if there is anywhere i can go to get them fixed up and put in working order. i cleanded them myself and greased and oild them but i cant get the braking to work right, its always jerky, and the drag isnt smooth. and when i cast it is all jerky also. i pretty much have to turn the braking off to cast it.
pics:

Last edited by ILfishinman; 08-08-06 at 11:22 PM.
ILfishinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 10:49 PM   #2
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILfishinman
i have 3 Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000 c reels that i inherited from my grandfather. wanting to know if there is anywhere i can go to get them fixed up and put in working order. i cleanded them myself and greased and oild them but i cant get the braking to work right, its always jerky, and the drag isnt smooth. and when i cast it is all jerky also. i pretty much have to turn the braking off to cast it.
any local tackle shop could probably help ya out...or you can get a manual for them and see how to take them apart and look inside to see whats wrong..
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 10:50 PM   #3
ILfishinman

well i totally broke it down exept where all the gears are in the side with the handle. and cleaned it, the only manual i ould find online was a blow up of all the parts
Old 08-08-06, 10:53 PM   #4
bassking22

I have two freshater spinning reels of my grandad, 3 crappie rods, and two more surf casting combos, got them all redone by a neighbor, and 3 of them crapped out during fights. Make sure that when you get them redone, the person id certified to redo them.
Old 08-09-06, 12:12 AM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sure, I think most good reel repairmen could fix those. Garcia reels havent changed all that much over the years. I think those are from the 70s, others might know better though...a collectable reel. Probably each would fetch a few bucks on ebay. And if you can get them working right, I know people who still use Abus that are that old. Maybe its a little bit sentimental, but they arent bad reels.
Old 08-09-06, 01:24 AM   #6
Phydiox
BassFishin.Com Member

since they were grandads i would clean them up and put them in a display case . or if you're determand to fish with them buy a couple of wondewr rods for cat fishin to put them on. the little push button will tear your thumbs all to heck after a day of bass'n. just my thoughts. j
Phydiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 06:12 AM   #7
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

These reels, though HEAVY, can serve you well, assuming they are in decent shape.
My recommendation, IF you want to honor Granddad by fishing (effectively) with them, is: Have a QUALIFIED technician convert two of them to higher speed retrieve...easy to do, and leave one at the old gearing (big cranks, etc.) The Amby's with three zeros (5000, 6000) had a slow rate of retrieve.
The 5500, 6500, were faster, though still slow by today's standards.
As to your other problems: Reels with a "C" suffix had a ball bearing on either side (under those round caps). These may be worn or rusted and need replacement...almost a sure bet on that, especially if G'pa used 'em in salt or brackish water or just wasn't into regular maintenance. This would account for the casting hang-ups.
Also, the "brakes", located on the non-handle side of the spool, consist of two little shafts upon which rode tiny little cylinders, probably made of a hard fiber material. The kit that came with each reel offered three diameters of these, used according to how much braking one desired. These will need to be replaced in all likelihood...the smaller, less braking; the larger, more.
Drag: These reels used fiber or leather washers stacked in the main drive shaft. These deteriorated over time and need to be replaced. Replacements are available that are made of smoother and more durable stuff, most likely.
More Drag: If you've opened up the reel(s) and looked at the stuff stacked on the drive shaft, you may have noticed two small metal washers that resembled bent dimes. THESE are critical to drag performance!
Many folks make the mistake of not LOOSENING their drags when the reels are not in use between trips (or overnight at the motel). Thus, these little "bent dimes", which are actually tensioning "springs", become flattened and ineffective. Unless the ones in G'pa's reels are noticeable bent, they MUST be replaced. Do NOT attempt to rebend them...too inexact.
Lastly: Save what original handles that may remain (the middle reel in the pic, for sure, possibly the one on the left,) and put new "Gator Grips" on them to improve the ergonimics. Make sure that the little retainers that secure the big nut are securely screwed to the handles!
These are quality reels, the "gold standard" of their time. Either have them cleaned and preserved and put the prettiest one on the mantle (original handle) and store the others OR go to the trouble and expense of following the above steps...your call.

F.Rod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 06:56 AM   #8
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I remember Bass Pro Shops having a reel repair service. Not sure if they still do but they did work on a couple of mine once and I was saticfied with their work.

Last edited by keithdog; 08-09-06 at 07:11 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 11:52 AM   #9
bassking22

Those look like the external is in good condition, if the internals are in such good condition, I would fish withe them. I like using older reels because they are all meatal, and if you get them redone properly, they can go through anything.
Old 08-09-06, 02:42 PM   #10
ILfishinman

well i dont really plan on doin alot of fishing with them. so i guess i can put them on display. just wanted to see if there was a way to get them working like new again. thanks guys, especially you flyrod
Old 08-09-06, 07:23 PM   #11
Bender

I have heard goodthings about this place: http://www.heartlandtackleservice.com/
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-06, 12:33 PM   #12
Jackl

ILFISHINMAN,
I sent a couple reels to Heartland tackle service and paid quite a bit to have them cleaned and a couple bearings replaced. When I got the reels back, they did not release properly when I hit the thumb bar. I heard about Armadillo Reel Repair, 903-383-7891, www.hilljumper@peoplescom.net from a friend, so I called them. I told him about the problem and he diagnosed the repairs over the phone and told me about how much it would cost. (A whole lot less than Tackle Repair Service) I sent the reels to him, and had them back in a couple weeks, working like new. Give him a call and tell him what you have. He can probably tell you the cost, including postage. He is located on Lake Fork, in Texas, so I am sure he has repaired and cleaned a lot of reels. (I won't hold it against him for being a Texan, people have no choice about where they are born)

JackL

Last edited by Jackl; 08-10-06 at 11:56 PM.
Jackl is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.