Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-06, 11:26 PM   #1
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Prices Have Gone Up!!!

Last tuesday I hit something in 76 ft of water on Grand Lake in Oklahoma. Did not think too much about it, as it sounded like I ran over a small submerged log or something with the hull of the boat. Made kind of a dull "thud" sound, then the motor started jumping and shaking. Luckily I was on the way to the ramp to load out anyhow, and did manage to get it on the trailer.
I loaded up and headed for Cabela's in Kansas City, where I get all my major motor work done. I pulled up to the repair shed and Glen, the head mechanic came out to look at it. As soon as he got to the wheel of the trailer he said, "You tore out a pinion gear" then showed me the two small dimples on the side of the gear case where the pinion gear had tried to come thru the case when it let go.
Glen looked it up on the computer and a new lower unit was $2654.00 plus labor. I almost chit on the spot. I adjusted a couple gear case repairs when I was still working insurance claims and they cost about $1200 to $1400 including labor. Glen said "thats true, but gas was $1.50 a gallon back then also" THANK GOD FOR INSURANCE!!!

JackL
Old 05-08-06, 06:14 AM   #2
1FASTLASER

Man thats the pits on the l/u. I might be able to save you some serious mulla. What motor and lower are you running? Let me know ASAP as I am going there to pickup a powerhead for a buddy of mine Tuesday and I will see what he has. VERY resonable prices.
Old 05-08-06, 06:07 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yeah jackl post your lower spec's odds are i could find one a dam site cheaper..

zooker
Old 05-08-06, 07:46 PM   #4
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Scream and fly has a forum full of lower units for sale these are good used units usually rebuilt good stuff and put a little insurance money in your pocket
also try fastbass.com and bassboatcentral.com
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 07:27 PM   #5
bass kicker

ya we had the same thing happen to use but we got insurence to cover it

it counted as colision
Old 05-13-06, 11:38 PM   #6
Jackl

Well, repairs are completed and boat is ready to go. Cabela's crew ordered a factory replacement complete lower unit, even has the factory low water pick-up in the tip of the nosecone. Only cost the insurance company $2759.02, plus my $100.00 deductible.
I am going to pick it up Tuesday on the way to Truman reservoir to pre-fish for the Cabela's/Ranger tournament.
At least I will have 250 miles of not pulling the boat, even if gas is down to $2.71 (I thought it was high when it went to $.27 a gallon)
When I pick up the boat, I suppose I will have to go inside the store and feed the bait monkey. ( I thought I had all the snacks he could ever want)

JackL
Old 05-14-06, 05:40 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Glad to see ya got her running again. Its not a good feeling knowing the boat is tore up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.