Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-09, 11:00 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default New line on my setups

I have changed out my line on my favorite spinning rod. The braid was wearing out so hit the BPS that is less than 1 mile from my apartment.

I spooled my spinning setup with 20# Suffix green braid with 15# Pline CFX leader. This is my plastics setup. I was going to put 50# Suffix green braid on my Silvermax baitcaster but I need to take it apart and clean it because I can feel it sticking.
So I put the 50# braid on the Quantum Pro baitcaster that I got from my sister-in-law's mother. I plan on using that setup for cranking. I haven't used crankbaits all that much so I am going to try to fish them this late summer and early fall. Once I clean the Silvermax, I plan on using that setup for my frogs.

Man, I am getting pumped because I know that I am going to have a lot more free time on the weekends to go fishing now that I am divorced.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 12:14 AM   #2
bassboogieman

Sufix 20# braid is perfect on the spinning rod. 50# braid for crankbaits - personally I think that's way to much. Braid is boyant and will restrict the depth your cranks will dive. I much prefer a co-polymer line in 10# - 12# for cranks. That's plenty. Others prefer flurocarbon, and that's a good choice also as it sinks and will help get the crankbaits down. Save the 50# for jigs or frogs. Should you insist on braid for cranks, you should have a Med/mod rod to compensate for the lack of stretch of braid, or you will be pulling hooks. And knock it back to 20# also, baits will run deeper.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 05:11 AM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I know its against the accepted gospel, but I much prefer braid on crankbaits. 10 pound braid is very thin so it will get down good, its strong and don't tell anyone, but I like the sensitivity. You can feel the wobble and where the crank is probing so much that it allows you to navigate around laydowns and brush better. Just give a little on the bites then set the hook judiciously.
Old 09-02-09, 05:52 AM   #4
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I know its against the accepted gospel, but I much prefer braid on crankbaits. 10 pound braid is very thin so it will get down good, its strong and don't tell anyone, but I like the sensitivity. You can feel the wobble and where the crank is probing so much that it allows you to navigate around laydowns and brush better. Just give a little on the bites then set the hook judiciously.
i agree totally with this.
Old 09-02-09, 05:55 AM   #5
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I have changed out my line on my favorite spinning rod. The braid was wearing out so hit the BPS that is less than 1 mile from my apartment.

I spooled my spinning setup with 20# Suffix green braid with 15# Pline CFX leader. This is my plastics setup. I was going to put 50# Suffix green braid on my Silvermax baitcaster but I need to take it apart and clean it because I can feel it sticking.
So I put the 50# braid on the Quantum Pro baitcaster that I got from my sister-in-law's mother. I plan on using that setup for cranking. I haven't used crankbaits all that much so I am going to try to fish them this late summer and early fall. Once I clean the Silvermax, I plan on using that setup for my frogs.

Man, I am getting pumped because I know that I am going to have a lot more free time on the weekends to go fishing now that I am divorced.
after you clean all the dye that bleeds out you can buy a real braid and put it on.
Old 09-02-09, 09:28 AM   #6
Fishnngolfn

I haven't tried Berkley's Fireline braid. At first look I do like that Berkley is an 8 strand braid. When I clean my Silvermax, I might try it on that. It honestly doesn't bother me that the color bleeds out on the Suffix.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 09:59 AM   #7
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ROFL...like death and taxes. Dodge guy pulling out the Fireline Braid advertisement!

But seriously, I switched to it after he mentioned it, and it seems like great line. Smooth, strong, and durable.

I don't see a problem with braid for cranking except in maybe ultra-clear water with a really slow retrieve and picky fish. In deep water, they aren't going to see it. In really shallow water, not much of it will be underwater, so again, they aren't going to see it. Around cover, they're not gonna see it. Et cetera, et cetera.

I still use mono though.
Old 09-02-09, 10:23 AM   #8
fishen green
BassFishin.Com Member

IMHO nothing beats floro for cranking lots of cranking rods are very flexible and that design came out before non stretch braid I believe you need the stretch in this application more then you might need it in others since you will get more fish to the boat
fishen green is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.