Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-05, 04:19 PM   #1
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Help With Spooks

I just got 3 spooks, I got the original one, it is really big, I got 2 of these in Baby Bass, and I got a super spook jr, in rainbow trout. Man these baits are huge!!! Will smaller fish hit them? Also, what is the correct way to fish them??
Old 07-17-05, 04:31 PM   #2
NJBassDevil
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Just rapidly twitch the rod as you reel. It was walk the dog automatically.
Old 07-17-05, 04:34 PM   #3
lockjaw
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Yes smaller fish will hit large topwaters and large fish will hit small topwaters. A Zara Spook has essentially one retrieve, which as known among most anglers as walking the dog.The lure darts or pivots right to left all the way back to the boat. Walking the dog is acomplished by holding the rod tip down toward the water and twitching the rod with short downward jerks with you wrists.At the same time the reel is cranked half a turn with each jerk to make the spook move forward at the same time it is pivoting from side to side. It takes some practice. Until you get used to it its kind of hard to get down just the right timing.
Old 07-17-05, 05:02 PM   #4
Justin Case
BassFishin.Com Member

Powerbass, They are big ,but they catch fish. I only throw the spook jr anymore.You want a heavier line ,like a 14lb test mono.Cast it out , let it sit until all of the ripples are gone. Twitch it a few times but don't move it much.After a few more seconds, lower your rod tip and work the bait as Lockjaw said.change your cadence speed until you get results the fish want.Lighter line will foul up on the front hooks, once you fish the bait alot you will have confidence in it. I always have a spook Jr tied on , sometimes it will work during bright sunny days when they are suspended.The northern Pike will scare the daylights out of you when they hit the bait. I use the chrome color alot of the time. P N J
Old 07-17-05, 06:12 PM   #5
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks for the Info guys, cant wait to try them!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.