Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-07, 08:38 PM   #1
Charlie Brown
BassFishin.Com Member

Default high pressure bass

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on what type of bait to use and how to fish it in high pressure areas this time of year.
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 09:04 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

I'm guessing when you say high pressure you mean fishing pressure. In that case downsizing and fishing slower can pay off-something like a drop shot or shakey head rig.
Old 09-02-07, 09:05 PM   #3
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

High pressure as in a lot of people fish it?

If so, then one thing to do, would be to ask around local bait shops and see what people are fishing. Then pick a lure completely the opposite. Pressured lakes can be really difficult to fish, and you will need to look at even the smallest detail to insure fish. You may want to single out areas where you never see anyone fishing, or even get a smaller boat or get a kayak and get to places that no one else can reach. Now this time of the year the fish will want to be deep in the afternoon, but if they are getting so pressured they will move into shallow areas where there is plenty of structure, such as grass beds, lilly pads, etc. that will provide shade. If you cant figure out what people are fishing, then I would suggest using a lure that mimics and looks as close as possible to the natural bait in the area. And its very important that you have a swift catch and release, as pressure can put a lot of strain on fish, and if people are keeping the fish it makes it even worse. Good luck.
Old 09-02-07, 09:17 PM   #4
JB

If you mean barometric pressure being high, we sure had that today, bluebird skies and the fish have lockjaw.
Fish slower and downsize, but that didn't help denny an me today lol
any time the barometer is rising and bluebird skies and east winds, I usually flip a plastic in shade areas and slow down. Its too bright for the bass to be cruising around, look for shade or first dropoff.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 08:35 AM   #5
Mac10

Texpose a zoom speedworm in watermelon/red and cut off the tail. Fishing weightless, cast to likely cover/structure and let the lure sink to the bottom....watching line at all times..... If nothing grabs it on the slow fall, let set for 30 seconds then slowly lift about two feet off bottom, give it a small quick short twitch and let re-fall.....let set for 20 seconds and lift once again...if nothing on, reel in and cast to another likely spot. If you are not taking a full minute per cast, you are going too fast.

This is an incredibly versatile lure, casts like a bullet, skips well under docks, limbs and rocks....can be worked in weeds...slowly and allowing much time for falling between movements. When one end wears out, rig in the other end...then when that end goes, wacky rig it and keep going. One of the fellows on this board posted about using a skipping cast, even in open waters near weeds. I now use the skipping cast most of the time....wakes up the bass. (Thanks Tom).

A lot of good advice on this thread.......good to read several times.

Good fishing, Mac

I use a spinning rig most often for this presentation, usually with 6 to 8 lb. test.

Last edited by Mac10; 09-03-07 at 08:36 AM. Reason: omissions
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 11:32 AM   #6
keithdog

These are all great words of advise. Just wanted to add one more thing. Try fishing after sunset, when most anglers go home. You will have less activity on the water, and less competition, allowing you to fish a greater choice of locations throughout the lake. And the bass, who are accustomed to being bombarded with fisherman durring the daylight hours will be more tempted to strike under night time conditions.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 12:16 PM   #7
JB

I had a punkin colored zoom speedworm on for awhile, thought that would be the ticket, got a few gills pecking on it, but will try macs deal next time, thanks for the info!
Old 09-03-07, 03:54 PM   #8
Charlie Brown
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys. You all have really been a great help.
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 10:27 PM   #9
brushhog

I like Macs advice, I may try it myself. Also,Ii've always had luck fishing something outside the box of what everyone else is fishing. Dig into your tackle and try something you don't usually use. By the way, welcome aboard the crazy train!
Old 09-04-07, 09:36 AM   #10
DRBASSMAN
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

Hey there, Charlie -

Everyone has their own ideas of what to use each particular season and develop their own techniques. A lot of it has to do with which techniques/lures you have the most confidence in. Where yo ulive also plays a big part in lure selection. Here in Virginia the bass haven't yet schooled up in a major way; they're still soewhat in a Summer pattern, since it's still 90 degrees and we havn't had enough cool nights (50's) to really get the water temperature down.

This time of year here in Virgnia I primarily fish as follows:
medium to deep water: I use big (Berkely 10") worms, medium and deep-diving crankbaits (usually Rapalas) and 5" weightless Senkos and Mann's Hard-heads (rigged regular or "wacky") and let them float down - giving a twitch every-so-often. If pressure has been extremely high on a body of water I'm fishing, I'll sometimes go to finesse-fishing a drop-shot - using the Zoom Centipede or Trick Worm.

shallower water: I concentrate on green weeds in the shallower water and toss Zoom Centipedes (weightless or 1/8 oz) to the edges, Mann's Baby Minus One over the tops of the weeds (or a Chatterbait), if they're partially submerged, and aToad/Rat of some type on the tops of the lily pads. I'll also throw Super Flukes up into shallow coves.

This time of year I'm still looking for the larger bass in deeper water, over bottom structure and cover, and right off the drop-offs. I usually fish these this time of year with either Rapala Shad Raps (medium or deep-diving) or I'll pull a Carolina rig either up or down the point...from both sides and on the top.

Like I said, Charlie, - I think that most experienced fishermen, over time, develop their own techniques based on what's worked for them in the past and what they have confidence in. These are the things that have worked for me with the mst consistency over the past 40+ years. They are certainly not "THE BEST." Water color, weather and time of the day are all important factors in determining which lures to toss. The main thing is to get out there, try different techniques and develop confidence.

I hope this helps. Good luck

DrB
Old 09-05-07, 07:49 PM   #11
wfd192
BassFishin.Com Member

Default fishing the pressure

We have a local pond roughly 55 acres that has been extremely over fished. I have at times thrown everything in my box at every limb, dock and rock with no sucess. One afternoon we were trolling around, I put a 1/8th ounce white rooster tail twenty feet behind the boat. At first I thought i had a snag, after jocking the boat around to retrieve the "snag", it end up being a 4lb large mouth. I was mystified to say the least. Never under estimate the lure never used.
wfd192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-07, 07:57 PM   #12
JB

Talking 02 knows how to handle the pressure

see, if fla. high pressure 'tain't no biggie, the locals make the most of the situation rofl

Old 09-05-07, 08:07 PM   #13
bassfisher02

Hahaha JB, I'll take that catch anyday.
Old 09-05-07, 08:10 PM   #14
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Lol

You always have a way to make us laff....Thanks. JB you have to try HARP Lager,It's from the makers of Guiness beer...yum..yum.I had two and I'm comfortably numb...crank the Pink Floyd...hehehe. Denny
Kids don't do this when your parents are home.
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-07, 08:30 PM   #15
JB

a mini keg on the back of the new bike would look nice with some more crome huh ?LOL where the heck you hear about these brews D/man?
Old 09-07-07, 10:25 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Always good for a laugh, eh JB? Pretty Darn good with the photoshop huh. The guy wadin in jeans is a good touch. thanks for the laughs

bb144
Old 09-07-07, 10:26 PM   #17
bassfisher02

Yeah, I thought it would be appropriate to wade in jeans... Also, my nose mysteriously dissapeared... ???
Old 09-08-07, 07:03 PM   #18
JB

too many beers + majic eraser =nose job 02
Old 09-09-07, 02:29 PM   #19
bassfisher02

Hahah, nice!
Old 09-09-07, 04:20 PM   #20
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Haha, I see JB 'shopped the bottom piece on her aswell? lmao!
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-07, 04:43 PM   #21
bassfisher02

He shoulda chopped her hands off
Old 09-09-07, 06:24 PM   #22
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
I've always had luck fishing something outside the box of what everyone else is fishing. Dig into your tackle and try something you don't usually use. By the way,
this is the best advice you'll ever hear.. brushawg is 100% correct.. and when ya need to look outside the box.. try something odd like this

take note a plain bush hog rigged backwards..the line tie is UP in this picture..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.