Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-08, 12:48 AM   #1
Bmuskin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Hooks for floating worms

The other evening I was using a floating Roboworm and got a few decent hits on it. The problem I have is I need to use a hook with enough back bone to not bend and get a good hookset, Still allow the worm to float or at the least not sink much. Any ideas which style, size and type I would use. I need to go to Dicks or Cabelas tomorrow and will pick something up for the floating worms.
Bmuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 02:47 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

When throwing floating worms, I always throw a mustard, straight shaft 1. IMO, they have the least impact on the action while generating a very decent hook up ratio. I also prefer to texpose the hook on a floating worm. My experience says that the strikes are more subtle and I want to make sure the bass gets some metal and gives me a fighting chance.
Old 08-01-08, 06:52 AM   #3
Mac2

Also, you can rig the hook back from the front end of the worm, even an inch or inch and a half can make a difference in keeping the nose floating. It may alter your action too much, on the other hand, to keep it doing what you want it to do. A piece of foam, shaped like a lizard head and strung on your line just in front of the worm will also keep it afloat and still allow the action to occur behind it. All in all it makes the worm appear as a snake. Just a couple of thoughts. Hope they help, Mac
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 08:31 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Mustad MegaLite Wire EWG hooks.

BB
Old 08-01-08, 09:37 AM   #5
3dkicker

Gammy 2/0 off set wide gap works for me.
Old 08-01-08, 09:45 AM   #6
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Gammy 2/0 off set wide gap works for me.
Same here.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-08, 09:56 AM   #7
Bmuskin

I was using the wide gap and they were sinking super slow with them. I then switched to a light wire long shank crappie style hook. I straightened one of these and lost 2. I knew there had to be a happy medium. I am sure I would find something but wanted some advise. I also will play with the foam Idea I like that. I have some small packing peanuts I am sure I could use some of my wife's craft paint and color this. You could even put a couple of small worm rattles in and the styrofoam should hold it up. I have some interesting ideas to play with now. THANKS
Old 08-01-08, 04:24 PM   #8
Bmuskin

Found some Mustad Lites during lunch. Also found some Texpose square Z hooks. I picked up some of these to try. I saw Cassidy mention Texposing. Anyone else have any luck with these.

Last edited by Bmuskin; 08-01-08 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-01-08, 10:36 PM   #9
3dkicker

Sorry, should have paid a little more attention to your post. You want a true "floating" worm. Well a light wire hook is a good start. Depending on the size of the worm, thickness, you should be able to go down to a 1/0. If you have to go smaller then try a circle hook. Don't forget not to set the hook with them. They already make the styrofoam bullet heads in white and black. I turn them around so when I twitch the worm it pops like a Pop'R but not as loud.
Old 08-02-08, 06:34 AM   #10
Bmuskin

Thanks Smitty I will look for these style hooks later. In the meantime it is 530 AM and I am going fishin!
Old 08-02-08, 11:59 AM   #11
Coachkwj
BassFishin.Com Member

Mustad 1/0 or 2/0 Mega-Lite. Eagle Claw Laser Sharp are thin wire also.
Coachkwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 08:49 PM   #12
3dkicker

Was out on the water fishing myself and my friend was throwing a floating worm. We got into a conversation about the hooks I was using. Got me thinking about the tiny 1/0 Owner wide gap (or ewg) hooks some friends use on their floating worms. They're light wire, rounded and much smaller than the Gammy EWG 1/0. Could be a solution.
Old 08-03-08, 07:24 AM   #13
Mac2

If the paint doesn't work on the foam, try Sharpie Permanent Markers.....they may eat the foam, I'm not sure, but if they do work, they're easy to use.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-08, 05:57 PM   #14
Bmuskin

i will post some pics later when I download them but I spent 6 hours fishing from 6am till noon yesterday. 3 different locations and the only bite I got was on the crazy wacky rigged senko again. Found a pond in a conservation owned state public area covered in duckweed. draged a senko through it as well as a buzzbait, floating worm, and a scumfrog. Managed 2 15 inch or so 2 pound bass. Missed several and lost a couple not hooked real well as I drug them through the salad. Floating did nothing on this day.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.