Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-12, 04:43 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Okuma and Powell rods?

Got a job coming this summer, and Lord know's where I'm spending the money! lol Working on one of the bus driver's farm. Bailing hay, fixin fences, milking cows, cleaning the barn... fun stuff like that! 7 bucks an hour if I'm good, 10 if I'm great.

I really like the looks of the Okuma Concept C3-40x, I think it would work very well as a worm and jig rod, and have always wanted to try a carbon handle. Anyone have anything to report about this rod? Don't care if you've just swung it on a self, or used it for a season.

And then their's the old reliable powell Max rods, they've got em selves a real good reputation that can't be ignored! Any info you wanna throw at me about those are appropriated!

Anything on them is good, reviews are great!!

Thanks yall!
Old 03-24-12, 05:04 PM   #2
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That is a sweet loocking rod!

Have you gone to the Okuma website to find a dealer in your area? I see Gander Mountain is an authorized dealer in both Green Bay and Appleton. Critter Wolf River Sports in Winneconne is also a dealer.

If you could make it one of those stores, it might be worth a phone call to see if they carry the specific rod you're interested in. It's always nice to hold a rod before you buy it to feel the balance and flex. I also like to make sure the handle fits comfortably in my hand.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 06:40 PM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't have any experience with Okuma rods but I know they are stepping up their bass tackle game. From everything I've heard, their newer reels are great and a lot of people like their swimbait rods. I'm sure their new bass rods would be worth a try.

Powell makes great rods. The Max series 7' and under are only $139 and TW puts different models on sale quite often. The new Diesel line might be worth checking out too. They come in at only $69 and are getting great reviews. The reason for the low price is that they don't come with a warranty. That sounds bad at first but when you think about a lot companies having a warranty fee of that much, it really isn't such a bad deal. If I were in the market for a budget stick, I would definitely try one out.
Old 03-24-12, 08:24 PM   #4
bassboogieman

I believe the Okuma Concepts are the rods Scott Martin is using this year.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 10:06 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I believe the Okuma Concepts are the rods Scott Martin is using this year.
You're right, I've seen him with the Concepts and the Helios rods. He left Abu and Kistler for Okuma after winning the FWC last year.
Old 03-24-12, 10:49 PM   #6
MIbasser

I can't speak for the Okuma, but I currently have 4 Powell rods and adding 2-3 more in the next week. I'm a fan of them, however I cam awful close to switching to Shimano Crucials (do have one on order now) for everything. But I found a great deal on Powell so that is why I'm sticking with them. I currently have a 683, 703, 704 and 704CB. I'm picking up another 683, 704 and 765.

But as said above, look at the Diesel line. No warranty, but by the time you pay shipping and such you could have a new rod.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-12, 07:27 PM   #7
Bassboss

Thanks for the info guys! I'm thinking the 703, or 733 for the powell. I'll give the guys a call IB, see if they carry them. I'd really like to swing em around a bit!

btw, I saw Scott Martin using them today.
Old 03-26-12, 07:02 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't have any personal experience with Powell, but as far as power and action goes, they're quite similar to Dobyns. I have to say the 733 is an awesome rod.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.