Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-05, 12:50 PM   #1
Chad Young

Default Fishing Rods

What is the best Casting Rod 75-120 dollars? And what does the Medium, Medium Heavy mean and is fast action good or x-fast action and is there any more actions and what do they do?
Old 08-14-05, 01:58 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There are a number of good rods in that price range-AllStar, Falcon, American Rodsmith and Fenwick just to name a few. The action refers to how stiff the rod is-the heavier the action, the stiffer the rod-medium action is a good action for crankbaits since the rod has a lot of give to it to help keep the hooks from pulling out where medium heavy and heavy are better for worms and jigs since you can get a better hookset. The fast/extra-fast refers to the way the rod bends. A fast tip bends in the upper 1/3 of the rod where the extra-fast bends in the upper 1/4.

There are many specialized rods, but for all around bass fishing a 6-6 medium heavy rod with a fast tip is the best all-around for multiple applications IMO.
Old 08-14-05, 02:17 PM   #3
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For 120 the GLoomis GL2 is hard to beat. Medium rods are softer than Medium Heavy it refers to the strength or lifting power of the rod, medium fast,fast, extra fast refers to the action of the taper the "faster" the taper the stiffer it is.

To understand divide the rod in three sections, the upper third is the tip, now divide that third into 4 sections; medium action rods begin bending at the first fourth, medium fast begin bending at the second fourth, fast begin bending at the third fourth, extra fast begin bending at the last fourth, so, to put an example a medium heavy extra fast rod is as stiff as a pool cue, not only the rod has plenty of backbone but also it´s tip bends very little and "punishes" more, where do you want such application ? flipping, the idea is to get your bait into heavy cover, since you are in heavy cover you need a lightning fast hookset when a fish strikes ( extra fast tip ) and lots of muscle to horse him out ( medium heavy power ).

The lower the power and action the more "forgiving" is the rod. Another example are crankbait rods, they can have different power ratings but one thing they all have in common is the taper, all of them are medium fast, the tip bends more, why ? beacuse crankbaits have treble hooks, when the fish pulls the pull is transfered from the hook, through the line to the rod once it gets to the rod the taper transfers it through the rod to the butt section, the energy is dissipated in your arm. In a stiffer rod part of the pull is transfered to the rod but another part is not, that part that´s not transferer has to go somewhere, in this case the enrgy is transfered to the tissues that hold the hook in the fish´s mouth giving the animal a pivot point, the tissue breaks or the hooks are loosened, the result is a barely hooked or lost fish.

Do you need to purchase a technique specific rod ? eg: a crankbait rod for cranks, a flipping rod for flipping, a worms and jig rod for worms and jigs, etc. To a certain point NO, you don´t need a technique specific rod, but you do need a couple of rods, a Medium and a Medium Heavy; the medium for fishing treble hook baits and the Medium Heavy for fishing single hook baits. If given the case that you can only purchase one rod then get a medium heavy, it´s a little bit stiff for treble hook baits ( be more careful, don´t horse the fish too much ) but it can get the job of a multipurpose rod. The longer the better.
When a manufacturer doesn´t claim the type of taper consider it to be FAST
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 02:21 PM   #4
Raul

Hey Reb, what are you doing in the forums on Sunday ? you´re supposed to be pulling hawgs in Choke Canyon now !
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-05, 02:29 PM   #5
Curado
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Looks like everyone else already nailed it, but I would recommend All-Star.
Old 08-14-05, 02:34 PM   #6
Rebbasser

I know, Raul-unfortunately I have a few other things I need to do, but I'm wishin' I was fishin' !
Old 08-14-05, 04:00 PM   #7
Dyas

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I have always heard the St.Croix rods were real good................
Old 08-14-05, 05:34 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyas
I have always heard the St.Croix rods were real good................
IMO they are without a doubt ONE of the "BEST" out there.

Lizards
Old 08-14-05, 11:23 PM   #9
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to haynesn12

i like my st.croix rob. i broke my all-star spinning rod on the first day of fishing so i dunno if i trust them. but i have heard from others there good
Old 08-14-05, 11:24 PM   #10
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to haynesn12

i meant rod not rob
Old 08-15-05, 12:33 AM   #11
jonnyp22
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp22

how about spinning reels? im definitly going to get a new one soon and im lookin to spend around 50-80 bucks on it. definitly looking for quility.. any ideas?
Old 08-15-05, 06:25 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

As far as the rod ? reb answered it very well but I have to throw in that the 3 year old rod company Airrus that made the scene in 2002 is coming on like a storm. I have started to fish these almost EXCLUSIVELY and find them second to none not even G-Loomis and they have the best warranty bar none. You break it take it back to where you bought it and they give you another one, done deal. AS far as there actions they are without a doubt the BEST in my book. Now I fish in VERY heavy cover and have yet to break one. As far as the reel question I have fished with just about everything out there and my vote is for the quantum spinning reels.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-05, 10:57 PM   #13
jonnyp22
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp22

no i mean as far as the actual reel...
Old 08-15-05, 11:12 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Jonny, if you stick with a name brand like Quantum, Diawa, or even Shakespeare in that price range you will be getting a good reel. I highly recommend going someplace were you can pick them up and reel them-that way you get one that feels right to you.
Old 10-09-05, 11:20 AM   #15
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

I like my St.Croix Rods avids(little more expensive) but I get them for a deal from sponsor. Try Fluger reels(check spelling). They are nice reels but don't compare to my quantum energy!
Old 10-10-05, 12:30 AM   #16
islandbass

The rod I recommend might not be well heard of but they are excellent rods. You can get a wide variety of rods from Lamiglas.

Look like Raul covered your other questions. I think Lami's site might have some visuals to illustrate Raul's excellent description. Anyway, their competitor rods have an MSRP of $104.00 but most places will sell them for about $70.00. I have one love it the 664 model. It has a medium action and a heck of a lot of power. I handled a 7 lb hawg amid wooden pylons and dock pilings as if it were a dink.

www.lamiglas.com

BTW, I don't work for Lamiglas and another tidbit is their headquarters is in the same town as G Loomis, Woodland, WA (Washington State)

Good luck on your final decision.

-ib
Old 10-10-05, 01:39 AM   #17
KalimanMX
BassFishin.Com Member

What about Kistler Plus Rods? I have one and really love it!!
KalimanMX is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.