Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-09, 03:18 AM   #1
hawghunternm
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 200 HP outboard help needed

Well guys I've never owned anything but a mercury! But.......I'm about to order my new boat and I'd like to know about the Yamaha HPDI, Evinrude Etec motors compared to the Mercury Optimax. I was reading a thread on the BASSCAT website and a guy that was selling his boat with the HPDI said it had three more years of warranty than Mercury. My question is what are the pros and cons to each. My biggest concerns are:

Price
Warranty
Durablilty
Performance
Fuel Mileage

I realize not everyone is going to be able to compare the different motors but I'm hoping someone here has had the three or is educated enough to give me some good feedback. Thanks in advance for the help!

Robert
hawghunternm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 06:18 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well it is a ford chevy debate.. the e-tech will likely last longer every thing the same.. as they turn less rpm at wot.. performance wise the e-tech is the slowest of the three. as for milage all three get roughly the same around 4 mpg at wot..warranty's change on a yearly bases.. imo you definatly need an extended warranty on the moter..

yamaha are the most exspensive to buy parts for..but have the lowest over all price of the three..

zooker
Old 02-13-09, 09:08 PM   #3
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like the idea that the Etec will not need mschedueled mantenence till a woman says 21 million words ,Corse at my house that is not all that long. I am a mercury man because I think it is easier to find someone to work on it no matter where I go. Just my
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 08:55 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Anymore they are all about the same as stated as far as longevity as long as the owner takes care of his ride. Price wise I ALWAYS go for the most bang for the buck. The Merc will outrun all of them then the hammer then the etec being they are on the same boat. Warranty's concerned best I can tell ya is any warranty be it a outboard a car or a tool is a pain in the but but they have gotten better. Merc Hammer and the Tec motor's have come along way and usually dont need warranty work.If you do need warranty work you had better make sure that the work that has to be done is due to a fault of the companies. What I am saying is while under warranty no over revving or hammering before temp is up things such as that.............computers dont lie.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.