Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-09, 02:37 AM   #1
Tennessee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Swim bait thoughts

Ok maybe I'm missing something but..I'm just not into spending 19.99 for 1 (ONE) swim bait. I start thinking about all the other stuff I could buy with that kinda money. hey don't get me wrong if I had someone just give me one heck yeah I would try it..I think they look great and the videos I have seen they truly make some serious swimming action. I want to know ??

Do you use them

Have you had luck on them

How many do you own

Did you cry the firstg time you lost one in a hang up

What do you do for a living to afford those baits

Seriously whats your thoughts

Thanks Will

Last edited by Tennessee; 03-02-09 at 02:38 AM. Reason: typos
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 03:04 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use them a lot. I own several 20+ of them from BBZ to Tru Tunsten. They have their place like any bait.
Trout are a major Bass food source out this way so I mostly stick with the rainbow colors but also have some blue gill.
The swim action is great on most, but they are the most deadly when you can dead stick them and get a little twitch out of them.
I haven't lost one to a hang up, but I have lost two. While I didn't cry, I did curse.
As far as a living. I married a Sugar Momma.
The biggest issue I see for people is using them on rods that are not rated for the weight.
If you get into the big hard bodied swim baits (9 inch and up) Realize that it can be very non productive fishing. They are not a quantity bait, but when they get hit it is usually a very large bass on the other end. I say usually because you will have the occasional "What was he thinking" strike.
Old 03-02-09, 05:05 AM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I havent used them and understand and agree with your frugal tendencies. $20 for me buys enough gas to go fishing. Perhaps the question should be what is the cheapest swimbait to get in on the swimbait "revolution"? Surely they don't cost so much to manufacture that it would justify a $20 price across the board.

What I have used that is similar are the old creek chub pikie broken back minnows. They still work. I actually heard George Washington Perry's bass came on one, dont know if its true. Swimbaits arent really new at all, in fact the concept is as old as it gets.
Old 03-02-09, 09:49 AM   #4
aikenyounggun

im actually going to buy one of those 20$ 4 inch swimbaits .... i cant wait to show my lcoal lakes what swimbaits are ..... aslo my friend who moved from Idaho has a lot of them and is going to throw them a lot when the water starts getting a little warmer
Old 03-02-09, 10:47 AM   #5
Lilmoosecountry

Here is a website you should check out. http://swimbaitnation.com/nationtalk/viewforum.php?f=6 Swimbaiting is the way of the future. I believe it is the bait that will shatter the next world record. 20.00 i thaught that was exspensive at first now i own bait that i pay upwards to 100.00 for. You start using the swimbait. You will catch more fish & bigger fish than you have with any other metod.
Old 03-02-09, 10:49 AM   #6
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I havent used them and understand and agree with your frugal tendencies. $20 for me buys enough gas to go fishing. Perhaps the question should be what is the cheapest swimbait to get in on the swimbait "revolution"? Surely they don't cost so much to manufacture that it would justify a $20 price across the board.

What I have used that is similar are the old creek chub pikie broken back minnows. They still work. I actually heard George Washington Perry's bass came on one, dont know if its true. Swimbaits arent really new at all, in fact the concept is as old as it gets.
That creek chub was also a pike size bait. Not a liitle bait at all. Big Bait Big fish!!!
Old 03-02-09, 02:53 PM   #7
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
Here is a website you should check out. http://swimbaitnation.com/nationtalk/viewforum.php?f=6 Swimbaiting is the way of the future. I believe it is the bait that will shatter the next world record. 20.00 i thaught that was exspensive at first now i own bait that i pay upwards to 100.00 for. You start using the swimbait. You will catch more fish & bigger fish than you have with any other metod.
I hear you moose. I have three of the rago raptors. Hard to believe the cost, but they are amazing
Old 03-02-09, 03:02 PM   #8
Bassboss

The answers to all your question is no, other than if I've ever had any, I have 1 strike king wake bait.

But than again, I've only used it once!
Old 03-03-09, 03:30 PM   #9
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I hear you moose. I have three of the rago raptors. Hard to believe the cost, but they are amazing
Well then take a look at what me got today.
http://www.outdoorproshop.com/Rago-T...in-notlive.htm OHHH the striped bass are going love this bait
Old 03-03-09, 03:37 PM   #10
doc

Quote:
Well then take a look at what me got today.
http://www.outdoorproshop.com/Rago-T...in-notlive.htm OHHH the striped bass are going love this bait

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1217029991611 So you can picture the baits your company is selling. It's cheaper than that swimbait, and could help your buisness. I never buy anything I cant look at first.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 03:39 PM   #11
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

if you do buy a camera take a pic of yourslf holding that swimbait...i wanna see somebody that would pay that much for a piece of plastic.

moose...the new buzzie.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 04:09 PM   #12
Lilmoosecountry

Nope i'm not buzzwing at all. I can afford the things i buy. I'm not some high school kid that should be preparirng for college. I'm a grown man enjoying my life. thanx DOC i'm already looking at a camera. I'm going to check it out this weekend. So thank you for your insults. Jerry Rago is the man when it comes basement lure makers. Oh by the way Doc i already have a 10 inch tool. I know what i'm getting. He is a very well respected lure maker. Yes a Rago cost more it is made in america by an american making lures in his basement. There are also fewer than 100 of these baits even around. I thank you for yanking my chain!!! I have no harsh words for you at all Doc.

Last edited by Lilmoosecountry; 03-03-09 at 04:21 PM.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 04:14 PM   #13
lowrider

ok buzzie, cool your jets. it's just that in 1 post you said no money for a camera, then you went i bought a $300 bait. so which is it?
Old 03-03-09, 04:22 PM   #14
Raul

If I have to choose between a $300 camera and a $300 swimbait let me tell you ..... the camera is going to loose.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 04:31 PM   #15
Lilmoosecountry

Thanks Raul!!! I think the democrat liberals have infiltrated the site. How dedicated are you to the Sport you love. Maybe you have heard the bait monkey always wins.
Old 03-03-09, 04:35 PM   #16
lowrider

who mentioned politics? next you'll be questioning someone's religious or sexual beliefs.
Old 03-03-09, 04:43 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I haven't used many swimbaits before, but I would like to try a few of the smaller ones this year. I have a one of the Spro bbz-1 shads, and I am going to get a Tru Tungsten 4"er before summer. I don't know if I'd spend 300 bucks on a swimbait, I'd rather spend that kind of money on a rod/reel combo.

The thing that gets me is people, like me, that won't spend 18 bucks on a LC crankbait, but will spend 20 on a swimbait. I don't think I'd spend much more than that though. I guess maybe it's cause those are the cheap solutions to swimbaits, while LC cranks are the high end and I can buy 3 bandits or bombers for the same price.

I don't know how we got talking about camera's either, but I shoot with a PowerShot A630, I really like it.

BB
Old 03-03-09, 04:44 PM   #18
cassidyta

Wow, this went from swim baits to something else quickly...lol
I won't judge anyone for how they choose to spend their money. I have the same bait, but was very fortunate to get mine during a charity event here in San Diego. I won the bait and a fishing day with Jerry Rago (the guy that makes those baits). It was pricey, but I had no regrets. I also have the 9 and 10 inch models.
Old 03-03-09, 04:49 PM   #19
lowrider

i'm not judging on how money is spent...judging is better reserved for self-proclaimed religious-politico zealots.
Old 03-03-09, 04:55 PM   #20
Lilmoosecountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Wow, this went from swim baits to something else quickly...lol
I won't judge anyone for how they choose to spend their money. I have the same bait, but was very fortunate to get mine during a charity event here in San Diego. I won the bait and a fishing day with Jerry Rago (the guy that makes those baits). It was pricey, but I had no regrets. I also have the 9 and 10 inch models.
Thanks allot Jerry Rago is the coolest lure makes out there. It is a pricey bait. But there made in his basemant. He hand carves his own forms. Makes his own molds. Pours every bait he makes & air brushes all his baits. This man puts over 100 hrs in each bait. Then you complain Lowrider & Doc about price. It is obivious you have no respect for the basement lure maker & what they do.
Old 03-03-09, 04:59 PM   #21
Lilmoosecountry

HERE YEAHH GO!!! http://www.tackletour.com/reviewragotoolroundup.html
Old 03-03-09, 05:02 PM   #22
lowrider

it's not about respect, i'll pay for good work and a quality product, heck, if i get good service at a restaraunt i tip the waiter/ess %20. you don't know me or my ideals so don't go there. i DO however, have a personal problem with spending $300 of MY dollars on something i'm going to tie to a very thin piece of line and wing as hard as i can towards the horizon. i'd rather spen $10 30 times and have a full box of crap. maybe i'm stupid, maybe it's you, who is to decide?
Old 03-03-09, 05:04 PM   #23
doc

Quote:
Thanks allot Jerry Rago is the coolest lure makes out there. It is a pricey bait. But there made in his basemant. He hand carves his own forms. Makes his own molds. Pours every bait he makes & air brushes all his baits. This man puts over 100 hrs in each bait. Then you complain Lowrider & Doc about price. It is obivious you have no respect for the basement lure maker & what they do.
Nope, the guy carving the lures in his basement and selling the "best looking lures in the water" Posting pics to back it up I have respect for.

I have no respect for the guy peddeling lures who will buy a cam to pic them as soon as he makes some money, but 5 minutes later posts he bought a $300 swimbait.

Hell the bait looks awesome but thats not the point. I think your full of crap
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 05:10 PM   #24
MississippiBoy

Not that either Doc or Lowrider need my help, but heck, I'm giving it for free.

Here's the issue:
#1: "I don't have a camera because it's too expensive, so I can't take pictures of the product I'm trying to sell." I understand that, no problem there. Might have a hard time selling anything, though.
#2. "I just bought a $300 lure." But the camera's too expensive?
#3. Some insane comment about "liberal democrats." That's just amazing.

Nobody's doubting the effectiveness or quality of the lure. Where the problem comes in is you reading the comments as a personal attack and lashing out. Where did Doc insult you? Who said they're not patriotic, and won't buy any of those lures because they think they're no good? Who said they have no respect for the maker of this lure, or any basement lure makers?
I could go on, but I see several people looking at this thread, and I want to see what they have to say.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 05:22 PM   #25
cassidyta

The only thing I will say on this is that the Rago baits are historically on back order for 4-6 months at a time. Because of the process, you often have to pre-order them to include spending the money.
From a logical stand point, I could see having allocated the money for the bait many months ago, before he said that he was going to start making baits.
It could also be an investment to study to get some better design ideas. (No, I am not saying copy). BTW, I would claim that purpose for taxes alone.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.