Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-10, 01:46 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question Prefishing for tourney

As I have mentioned in other posts, my prefishing and tourney days are seldom the same. I usually leave a lake with a good plan, but come game day, it has not been working as I want.
Currently, I take a day of vacation the wednesday or thursday before my tournament to prefish. I usually spend the night before going through topographical maps so that I have an idea of general locations when I arrive. Due to the fact that I don't have the biggest of motors, I look for places colser to the launch and where I do not expect to find other folks.
When I get to my spots, I will try several techiques. I want to land a couple of fish, but not too many. After I have 1 or 2 keepers in the boat, I will usually bury a hook in the bait or remove hooks. I try not to catch any other fish from that spot. I try to have 2-3 baits that work in that location before moving on.
The plan looks good on paper, but it has not worked as designed come the tourney.
What am I overlooking?
Old 05-26-10, 02:13 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Cass, I'm not a tourney fisherman, or even a good fisherman, but I think if I were to ever do tournaments seriously, I would keep this in mind. The quality of fishing today is not only related to conditions today, but to the conditions the past few days.

I think each of these good pre-fish/bad tourney events is a learning opportunity for you. I would systematically eliminate certain types of presentations based on your experiences.

You need to go farther in your plan of attack. Don't class crankbaits as a good presentation on sunny days. Figure out if one color or style is better on a sunny day following a cloudy day as compared to a cloudy day following another cloudy day.

It just takes a very detailed set of records and notes, as well as the will to organize it in a fashion that it is usable later. Find out and record what the weather at the lake is like on days you aren't necessarily going fishing, but right before you do.

Of course, I say all this as a very unsuccessful angler, but maybe it's because I haven't done this.
Old 05-26-10, 02:50 PM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I never pre fish. Never have, probably never will.

My problems with prefishing:

Even if you stick ONE, that's one less you'll catch on Tourney day.

Fish today, not yesterday. One day can make a world of difference, and I don't like getting caught up with patterns.

The only thing I do before a tourney is scout. I'll find seasonal areas that look productive, and set up a possible run if I find a pattern. I'll also graff areas to look for things that I can't find on a topo map.

Now I should say this. I've never fished any tournament that was more than two days. I suppose if there was a chance to fish 3-4 days, I'd want to get to some more areas and possibly stick one or two so I know what the area has a chance to produce.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 05:45 PM   #4
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Due to the fact that I don't have the biggest of motors, I look for places colser to the launch and where I do not expect to find other folks.

What am I overlooking?
Re-read the above quote. From the information you've given, I'd say that's part of your problem if that's what you're doing consistently. Seems like you may be limiting yourself. My motto is "leave no stone unturned" when pre-fishing-----up to a point, that is. You can outsmart yourself by trying to get away from "other folks". Other folks, many times are like Blue Herons--ie, they tend to be present because fish are present. You can outsmart yourself by avoiding community holes. If you can find fish others aren't on, that's great but not always possible.

Also, if you're fishing only close to the ramp, you're again really limiting yourself. I've got the slowest boat in our club but I have a lot of success. It's rare that I get beat because of a boat race. It's what you do with the fish once you get there. A big fast boat is nice but not necessary at the club level in my opinion.

So, from what you've posted, I'd say:

1.Don't avoid the community holes. They are community holes for a reason.

2.Branch out. Don't always stick close to the ramp. You may need more than one day on the lake. Try fishing the Sat. and Sun. before the tourney.

Good luck!
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 06:19 PM   #5
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thanks Jigger. When I say close to the ramp, I mean that rather than try and win the 5 mile race to the far end, I am pulling into other coves 1-2 miles away. Not directly beside the ramp.
Due to the fact that many of our spots are resevoirs and not that large, the honey holes clog up quickly.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.