Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-11, 09:18 PM   #26
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry2rs View Post
If you like any of these rods and it is rated for the weight of your bait, buy it. They will all do the job.

For most of my Bass fishing I like to use G.Loomis MBR rods just like our college BigBassin144. They will throw most bass baits including both soft and solid frogs, very well.

These rods are rated as Fast. The MBR783, 784 are six foot six inch rods in MH and H weight, while the 843 and 844 are the same rods in a 7 foot length.

Common wisdom says that longer rods cast farther, but in the slop, extra distance might not count for much.

Pro Reel could tell you the details about the differences between your two reels, but I'm certain that either body casting is more than strong enough.
I agree that either of these rods will do the job. I also think that the longer rod comes into play not only because of the added casting distance, but because it will give you a little more leverage on a fish if it decides to burry itself in the slop.

I think that the perfect frog rod would still have a fairly soft tip to help with casting, not only for distance but for accuracy as well. If it were me I would go with a fast action rather than an extra fast but that is just my personal preference and one guys rod preference doesn't always equate to the perfect rod for you so take that for what it's worth. I don't throw a frog enough anymore to worry about having a specific frog rod, not really sure why I don't throw them as often anymore either because they are fun to fish but I guess that's a topic for another thread. When I throw a frog I usually end up throwing it on one of my jig rods because they have a lot of the characteristics of a good frog rod. They are 7' long or more, heavy powered, fast action, and still have a bit of a soft tip. Good luck in your search of the perfect frog rod and I look foward to seeing what you end up with.
Old 01-09-11, 09:31 PM   #27
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I hate making those 40-50 yard chunks across the pad field. But a lot of the over pressured lakes around here require it because I guess I am weak on my ninja skills. Especially in the 2-4' water. They streak everywhere, and once that happens, you can just about hang it up for that area. That is why I am building such a long rod where I can start in on them way before they know I am there, hopefully.
Old 01-09-11, 09:37 PM   #28
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I hate making those 40-50 yard chunks across the pad field. But a lot of the over pressured lakes around here require it because I guess I am weak on my ninja skills. Especially in the 2-4' water. They streak everywhere, and once that happens, you can just about hang it up for that area. That is why I am building such a long rod where I can start in on them way before they know I am there, hopefully.
12 foot heavy powered with 19 guides?
Old 01-09-11, 09:47 PM   #29
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

7'10" precisely with probably 10-11 guides nut-sack-rig-02.
Old 01-09-11, 10:19 PM   #30
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I agree that either of these rods will do the job. I also think that the longer rod comes into play not only because of the added casting distance, but because it will give you a little more leverage on a fish if it decides to burry itself in the slop.

I think that the perfect frog rod would still have a fairly soft tip to help with casting, not only for distance but for accuracy as well. If it were me I would go with a fast action rather than an extra fast but that is just my personal preference and one guys rod preference doesn't always equate to the perfect rod for you so take that for what it's worth. I don't throw a frog enough anymore to worry about having a specific frog rod, not really sure why I don't throw them as often anymore either because they are fun to fish but I guess that's a topic for another thread. When I throw a frog I usually end up throwing it on one of my jig rods because they have a lot of the characteristics of a good frog rod. They are 7' long or more, heavy powered, fast action, and still have a bit of a soft tip. Good luck in your search of the perfect frog rod and I look foward to seeing what you end up with.
I think your right in what you have to say here. I think I'll stay with my original rod idea and buy the Garcia Vendetta 7'3" H-XF
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 11:08 PM   #31
bassinbob

He said "nut sack rig." I'm laughing mine off right now.
Old 01-09-11, 11:22 PM   #32
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
He said "nut sack rig." I'm laughing mine off right now.
Don't encourage him, it only makes him worse
Old 01-13-11, 05:36 PM   #33
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I use a Loomis MBR844C (7' H F) for frog fishing (usually my pitching rod) since I don't frog fish much and don't need a dedicated rod.
That's the rod I use for froggin as well. I did have it extended by a couple inches, and it's spiral wrapped. I fish frogs alot and it's my dedicated rod . It's a great jig rod too.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 08:45 PM   #34
lilmule

I toss more frogs than jigs myself,each frog or frog types require a different hookset and or rod.Like horney toad versus floating frog,twin hooks versus single hook (deps).
With the floaters a faster tip is in order,yet you are correct for the most part a jig rod will do providing it hits in that classic style,all over it down and slack line,the person reeling up then setting the hook taking about a 123 count,and side sweeping the hookset.
Where the rod comes really into play is when its not a clissic hit and the rod loads immeadiately then the rod makes the difference between nothing and a 5 pder some days.
Have three frog rods Kistler heavy action ,med heavy carrot stix and a custom.
The kister will bring a 6 pd out covered in grass,the carrot stix is best regulated to 4 1/4 and under but does better with a horney toad versus a floater.
Your jig rod if it has a fast or extra fast tip then its in good order,that first 4-6 in needs to give and quickly,then have backbone enough to flip a ten pd anchor in.
Most fish back in the thick stuff generally bring some of it with them,doubling their weight.
I prefer thick pads over grass any day.
This is one of my ky lake secret holes.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 07:57 AM   #35
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
I toss more frogs than jigs myself,each frog or frog types require a different hookset and or rod.Like horney toad versus floating frog,twin hooks versus single hook (deps).
With the floaters a faster tip is in order,yet you are correct for the most part a jig rod will do providing it hits in that classic style,all over it down and slack line,the person reeling up then setting the hook taking about a 123 count,and side sweeping the hookset.
Where the rod comes really into play is when its not a clissic hit and the rod loads immeadiately then the rod makes the difference between nothing and a 5 pder some days.
Have three frog rods Kistler heavy action ,med heavy carrot stix and a custom.
The kister will bring a 6 pd out covered in grass,the carrot stix is best regulated to 4 1/4 and under but does better with a horney toad versus a floater.
Your jig rod if it has a fast or extra fast tip then its in good order,that first 4-6 in needs to give and quickly,then have backbone enough to flip a ten pd anchor in.
Most fish back in the thick stuff generally bring some of it with them,doubling their weight.
I prefer thick pads over grass any day.
This is one of my ky lake secret holes.
Boyyyy, this pictire has my casting hand twitchin!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.