Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-07, 02:49 PM   #1
Springcrik
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs down Tidecraft trailer spindle size???

I have a 1990 Tidecraft TDo-16 with the "factory" trailer. Trailer has no markings other than a serial number stamped on the tongue. So the trailer could be some shop-built setup that the original dealer matched with the boat when it was new; although the hull supports and drive-on rails do fit the boat hull almost exactly.
The previous owner allowed some wheel bearing and spindle damage to occur, so I would like to replace the spindles. The trailer uses the standard 1.75" spindle, so wheel hub, bearings and seals are no problem. The rub is the spindle size where it fits into the axles. Going inboard from the 1.72" wheel seal area, the spindle size (O.D.) then steps up to 2"; then increases to a 2-3/8" collar where it is welded into the round axle tube; then back down to 2" which part actually slides into the axle bore. I'm not having any luck finding a 2" spindle machined down to 1-3/4". I'm not worried about the 2-3/8" stop collar; just a spindle with a 2" O.D. mounting bore will work.
Does anybody else have one of these tidecraft trailer setups? Or know where you can find spindles this size?
Springcrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-07, 08:01 PM   #2
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

SPRINGCRIK,
It might be simpler and cheaper in the long run to measure the total length of other brand of trailers and replace the whole assembly than it would to try to match up the spindles on your present axle.
Another suggestion is to go to a trailer manufacturing company in your area and find out if they may have a complete axle that will fit. You may have to weld on new spring perches to the new axle to get the right spacing, but that is a simple task.
JackL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.