Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-08, 02:34 PM   #1
fishinrookie
BassFishin.Com Member

Default outboard motor's

I Just Got My Boat To My New House And Out Of The Apartment Were I Was Staying Were I Could Not Work On It.but Now I Want To Fire Up The Outboard. Its Bin Setting For About 2 Years And I Want To Make Sure It Still Performs Good Its A 24 Hp Evinrude Sporster Electric Its Pretty Old But My Dad Rebuild It Sorry To Say He Past Away Before He Could Take It Out. I Know I Need To Put It In A Barrel Of Water But How Deep Should It Be And Is To Deep Bad For It. Should It Go Just Over The Prop Or Deeper And Wear Does The Water Come Out Once I Do Fire It Up Sorry So Long Hope You Guys Can Help Me Its Ready To Take Out On The Lake But I Want To Be Sure Before I Go

Thanks Again
fishinrookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 03:01 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

FR, run over to WalMart or someplace that sells boating gear and get you what most call earmuffs. It is 2 suction cups on a heavy wire that has an attachment for a garden hose. Attach the hose then position the suction cups over the water intake on the lower unit. Turn on the water and crank it up. The hose supplies the water so no need for a barrell.

Sorry to hear about your dad, but he'll be with you when you are on the water.
Old 03-13-08, 03:08 PM   #3
fishinrookie
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Rebbasser Yes He Will Be Probly Laughing I Will Give It A Try Were Should The Water Come Out Just Under The Motor Cover As You Can Tell I'm A Real Rookie
Old 03-13-08, 03:45 PM   #4
rodman rat
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The water will flow from the pee hole at the base of the cover on the side.

Just a word of advise the first time you take it out go to a lake you know and keep another boater in site or where you know one will come by on the way in!
I live just north of you were are you planning to take it out?
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 04:35 PM   #5
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If it has ben sitting for 2 years I would pull the plugs out and shoot alittle WD 40 it the cylinder before starting it . and it would be a gooood investment to replace the water pump impeller it could be dry and cracked the part is MUCH cheaper than the motor if it is bad .Even if it pee;s when started I would get a new one.
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 05:32 PM   #6
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
FR, run over to WalMart or someplace that sells boating gear and get you what most call earmuffs. It is 2 suction cups on a heavy wire that has an attachment for a garden hose. Attach the hose then position the suction cups over the water intake on the lower unit. Turn on the water and crank it up. The hose supplies the water so no need for a barrell.
please note ear muffs were designed for newer moters. it may NOT fit on the older ones..

i have a 71 johnny that i started after 10 years of storage -had to replace every hose on it- plus a shot of wd40 in the spark plug holes afore cranking..i did a total rebuild on it but it REALLY was not needed..

zooker
Old 03-13-08, 06:04 PM   #7
WTL

Yeah, I've never even heard of a 24 horse so it may no have the intakes on the side where earmuffs help. My 64 'rude had one underneath the cavitation plate which just about meant you had to have a barrel.

The water should come out pretty good around the back of the motor, what I would call the spine but thats not a technical term, you wont miss it if its working though. Good luck, and don't listen to me but listen to the other guys here....
Old 03-13-08, 09:06 PM   #8
bamabassman

if the muffs don't fit, find an old 55 gallon barrel. fill it with water AFTER you put the motor in it. i made that mistake too, lmao.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 11:27 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Gets a bit heavy, don't it, Bama?
Old 03-14-08, 02:55 AM   #10
fishinrookie
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodman rat View Post
The water will flow from the pee hole at the base of the cover on the side.

Just a word of advise the first time you take it out go to a lake you know and keep another boater in site or where you know one will come by on the way in!
I live just north of you were are you planning to take it out?
hey rodman rat i plan on taking to lake weir by bellview
Old 03-14-08, 02:59 AM   #11
fishinrookie
BassFishin.Com Member

sorry its a 25 hp motor and i dont think ear muffs will work it looks like the intake holes are right next to the prop. the year of the motor is 69 to 74 not sure though i do know its old
Old 03-14-08, 05:28 AM   #12
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

LMAO!!!!!!!!@ bamabassman. Anywats muffs wnt fit that motor. DEFINATELY squirt the cylinders down with some wd40. Double check all your lines. 2 years of non use pretty well gonna have some hoses that have dry rotted. Change out the lower unit fluid before use. The water will be blowing fairly heavy from the exhaust ports. 2 square ports just below engine hood. I love those older motors specially the ole 18 Seahorse.
Old 03-14-08, 03:14 PM   #13
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
I love those older motors specially the ole 18 Seahorse.
one of the all time best moter omc ever made.. had a couple..

ok the water intake ports on the older omc moters are just below the cavation plate it looks like a grill slots.

the cav plate is the bigger of the two ribs note the grill like slot. this HAS to be under water to cool the moter..

if you can remove the grill -some omc moters have a screen inside the ports grill- do so and clean it.. if not check it VERY carefully mud doobers love them water intake ports..

another thing when using the barrel with a moter this old. that has sat in storage a couple years put the moter in the water filled barrel and leave it a couple days after playing with it.. this allows the lower gaskets to gain some moisture. as you probly know gaskets dry out pretty bad not being in the water. allowing the lower to leak..

zooker
Old 03-14-08, 03:29 PM   #14
fishinrookie
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks a bunch zooker and all you guys you bin a great help to me
I was planning on cutting the barral down so I can do it with the motor still on the boat as long as I got the lower unit under water it should work right?

thanks guys i would hate to screw up a good rebuilt motor well rebuilt 2 years go
Old 03-16-08, 01:58 AM   #15
bamabassman

hey laugh if you want guys, used a barrel for quite a few years. but do put it under the motor first, haha. yes i thought the 150 merc was light enough for me to pick it up by myself. but that was only once. i learnt fellers. haha. i was young at the time too. but it worked for me. just have to keep an eye on the water, it does go down after you use it for very long. yes guys i learnt dat too, lmao. youth and stupidity. hahahahahahaha
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.