Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-08, 01:17 PM   #1
ugly schtick
BassFishin.Com Member

Default powering a trolling motor with a jump-start system

Trolling Motor Gurus-

Anything wrong with powering a 12 volt trolling motor with a portable jump-start system? I have one made by Husky that has a cigarette plug receptacle in it. I have used it to power a fish-finder for years. Could I re-wire the trolling motor with a male cig. plug and use it?

"Instant vehicle startup complete with air compressor and 400 watt power inverter. Unit includes digital readout, built-in 110 volt charger, LED area light and a DC to DC charger. * 450 amp jumpstarter. * 400 watt inverter. * 260 PSI air compressor w/ attachments. * 12 volt power outlet. * 3 LED area worklight. * MFG Brand Name : HUSKY * MFG Model # : HSK037HD * MFG Part # : HSK037HD "
ugly schtick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 04:31 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

All I can tell you is that a TM uses waaay more juice than a depth finder, and for an extended period of time, I would really doubt that would work. A TM with a cig plug? No, cig plugs have little tiny fuses in them anyway that would be torched.
Old 03-25-08, 07:38 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

jump starter blocks regularly produce 16 volts. which is why you can jump even a dead battery in a car which is a fast high voltage surge. on something that draws a slow mid load like a troller it will do either kill your jump starter or cook your troller or both.. a deep cycle battery is designed for this slow mid load..

zooker
Old 03-25-08, 08:43 PM   #4
ugly schtick
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool

Thanks for saving me from a fried tm/jumpstarter- it sounded a little to good to be viable.
ugly schtick is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.