Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-09, 11:44 PM   #1
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rod and Reel Rebranding Info

I believe that a lot of the gear Bass Pro Shops sells under their own name is actually made by well known rod and reel companies. Many companies rebrand their gear. I am interested in who is actually making the cheaper big retail store brand products that I am interested in, and think a thread could go a long ways to helping others here. I suspect store name brand gear is as good as the higher priced original branded goods. The same thing, just different colors and name.

For instance, I have recently purchased the Bass Pro Shops Extreme Baitcast Reel. I read somewhere that it is made by Pflueger - probably here. I went out onto the internets for more info, and I can't find anything. Do I have a Pflueger reel? I would also like to know who makes their rods specifically the Baitcaster Tourney Special Rod and also the BPS Bionic Blade Trigger Rod. Anyone that knows, please do share. I can guess Pflueger.

I just think it would be nice to know who is manufacturing the lower priced store branded rods and reels. It seems many people are happy with the cheap store branded rods and reels, but do you know who actually made it? I bet there are others like me that want to know who really made the BPS or Cabela Rod we are using.

It just seems like the collective wisdom of people here could help out us newer guys trying to get some quality gear at the cheapest possible price. Thanks.

Last edited by RandyHolt; 08-31-09 at 11:51 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 12:17 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think that's a great idea, Randy.

However, keep in mind, while rebranded items might physically be the same as their name-brand counterparts, they may not include intangible things like a better warranty or resale value due to name recognition. A freshly refurbished 20-year old Abu-Garcia baitcaster will still fetch a decent price. I'm not sure if a BPS branded reel could make the same claim. Still a good idea though.
Old 09-01-09, 02:16 PM   #3
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have heard my a few folks on Yahoo! Answers that Pflueger makes ALL BPS brand reels.
Old 09-01-09, 02:35 PM   #4
fishen green
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a extreme reel and a extreme rod I love them what is beyond that ??
when your happy your happy
fishen green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 03:28 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Pflueger does make BPS's reels. I don't know who makes the rods, but personally I don't like them so it doesn't matter to me.

Daiwa makes most of cabela's reels. I don't know who make Cabela's rods either, but they are much better than BPS rods IMO.

When it comes to reels, you can tell a lot of physical and mechanical features. Just look at the centrifugal brakes on a BPS and a pflueger reels and you can easily tell they are the same.

If you notice, the new pflueger patriarch and patriarch XT and you'll see numerous similarities between them and the BPS Johnny Morris Signature and Elite reels. One is the same finished, chrome blue for the higher end model, and a chrome finish on the lower of the two. They have the same grips, the patriarch had the same handle (the XT has a carbon fiber handle I believer), and the spool tension knob is VERY similar.

BB
Old 09-01-09, 04:03 PM   #6
Bassassinator

Send a message via AIM to Bassassinator

Hmm...good to know....now at least i know i will go with Cabela's before BPS rods...thanks!
Old 09-01-09, 04:19 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Hey man, I didn't mean to say BPS's rod aren't good, I just don't care for them.

I personally don't like the powerhump grip (or the rounded foregrip), and I find them a bit tip heavy, but they do make a weight balancing kit for them. They are plenty sensitive for the price and have quality components.

Personally, I like Shimano and Falcon rods or ones I build for myself. I also like the new St Croix mojo bass rods, although I haven't used the casting rods, YET!

BB
Old 09-01-09, 04:27 PM   #8
Bassassinator

oh ok, well i can see if it works for me....personally the Ugly Stik i'm using now, is a bit too de-sensitized for my taste...i can't really feel much with it. so any wallyworld suggestions for someone on a TIGHT budget?
Old 09-01-09, 04:31 PM   #9
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Berkley Cherrywood rods are $20 or so, they're ok... their Lightening rods are a bit better, for $35 or a little more...
Old 09-01-09, 05:05 PM   #10
Bassassinator

i saw some of the lightning rods in the shop near me, they were 34 bucks...think i'll pick one up....
Old 09-01-09, 05:28 PM   #11
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassassinator View Post
i saw some of the lightning rods in the shop near me, they were 34 bucks...think i'll pick one up....

you cant beat a lighting rod for the price......ive enjoyed mine for awhile now.....

all star rods is another company that hasnt let me down either.....they offer a nice low cost rod as well...the classic series...i got mine for around 40ish
Old 09-01-09, 05:55 PM   #12
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Heh. I was thinking about getting the BPS Bionic Blade. Now BB144 has me wondering. I will test out that hump and see how it is balanced. I hate to believe it would be that poorly balanced but trust folks here as much as any salesperson or the rest of the nets. So the mystery continues as to who makes the rods. Maybe I will call the store and pry one of the guys that works there for more info.

As usual, I am struggling to find a rod because I need a 2 piece. Of course, I would be more comfortable getting the Bionic or a Cabelas knowing they had a great name behind it, that was just painted over.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Last edited by RandyHolt; 09-01-09 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 08:19 PM   #13
Bassassinator

you might be able to research it online and see if you can find out more....i'll try to do the same and let you know of any new info i have come across
Old 09-01-09, 08:49 PM   #14
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

bass pro makes there own rods in china.it says so in the catalog.this is true at least for the higher end rods.nobody else has a reel seat like their's because it's exclusive to their factory.
Old 09-01-09, 09:17 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Heh. I was thinking about getting the BPS Bionic Blade. Now BB144 has me wondering. I will test out that hump and see how it is balanced. I hate to believe it would be that poorly balanced but trust folks here as much as any salesperson or the rest of the nets. So the mystery continues as to who makes the rods. Maybe I will call the store and pry one of the guys that works there for more info.

Again, don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything bad about BPS rods. I personally don't like the feel of the power hump grip or the rounded foregrip.

As for not being balanced too well. While the majority of casting rods aren't perfectly balanced due to length and beefier physical attrubutes, I find the BPS are still a bit more tip heavy than other rods I've fished with. but if you think about it 6' of rod in front of the reel vs 12" behind it on a 7' rod, it only makes sense that is it going ot be tip heavy, especially with a rod that has a heavier power because the blank it self is bigger, which equals more mass.

I hope that made sense, it did to me, lol.

BB
Old 09-01-09, 09:17 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
bass pro makes there own rods in china.it says so in the catalog.this is true at least for the higher end rods.nobody else has a reel seat like their's because it's exclusive to their factory.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have guessed they had made their own rods...

BB
Old 09-01-09, 10:18 PM   #17
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Dodge so heh look at that, made in china. I am shocked. Ok maybe not shocked but at least it is mystery solved. So I will say its BPS branded. But maybe some of our counterparts over in China could tell us otherwise. . A quick search finds lots of chinese rod makers. Probably everything in my box is made in China. I dont want to look.

BB144 no worries and I fully appreciate your sharing your opinion. I will try it out in the store and see how they feel and go from there. It seems it just comes down to personal preference. I have so few of options that I may just order it up online and save the gas and time, and return it if it doesnt work out.
Old 09-02-09, 07:45 AM   #18
BigBassin144

If they've got the reel you'll be using on the rod at the store, they'll probably let you put it on the rod. If not, bring your own reel and put it on so you see how the rod feels with the reel you'll be using.

BB
Old 09-02-09, 08:20 AM   #19
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassassinator View Post
oh ok, well i can see if it works for me....personally the Ugly Stik i'm using now, is a bit too de-sensitized for my taste...i can't really feel much with it. so any wallyworld suggestions for someone on a TIGHT budget?
Yup! I've gotta agree with MB, check out the Berkly rods, I personally didn't like the one I got, but I think it mat have been a different make of the lighting rod.... it was only 20 bucks and not 35 (and it says lighting rod on it, so it's not a cherry wood).

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.