Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-09, 05:10 PM   #1
Bassassinator
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Bassassinator
Default Mom is buying me a combo for my birthday....

My mother wants to purchase a baitcasting combo for my birthday. Thing of it is, she can only spend $50. please i have read the reviews and i am ready to have her buy this one....please tell me what you guys think...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ems#itemDetail
Old 09-02-09, 05:13 PM   #2
Bassassinator

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_100-3-1

or what about this one?
Old 09-02-09, 06:13 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've never used this reel or rod, but for $50.00 it seems like a decent combo. Be sure to check both BPS and Cabelas websites for their clearance specials. Both are having them.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 06:25 PM   #4
Bassassinator

Cabela's i checked and the only have a couple....but with poor reviews...except for one which i don't know about because the rod is Shakespear and the Reel is cabela's but if shakespear rods are like all their Ugly Sticks, i want something a little more sensitive...I stopped into Dicks and they have a really nice Abu Garcia rod/reel casting combo for $70 with a mail in rebate, but i know my mom won't go the extra mile...lol
Old 09-02-09, 08:22 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Hahaha....and yet another guy stumbles onto the Silver Max / Lightning Rod Combo!!

Bassassinator, I own two of those combos, and have nothing but good things to say about them. If you do manage to get Mom to pony up the extra...it's a good rod and reel. Take a look around and see if you can find a $10 off $50 purchase coupon. Dicks has them all over the place. That would help.
Old 09-02-09, 08:55 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassassinator View Post
Cabela's i checked and the only have a couple....but with poor reviews...except for one which i don't know about because the rod is Shakespear and the Reel is cabela's but if shakespear rods are like all their Ugly Sticks, i want something a little more sensitive...I stopped into Dicks and they have a really nice Abu Garcia rod/reel casting combo for $70 with a mail in rebate, but i know my mom won't go the extra mile...lol
I think it is definately worth it. I'd offer to throw in the extra 20 bucks if I were you.

BB
Old 09-02-09, 09:40 PM   #7
Bassassinator

they also have a quantum rod/reel caster combo for 50, but i would like that Abu Garcia deal first....I will try to convince her to go for it...
Old 09-02-09, 10:34 PM   #8
Bassassinator

well, ok so I will try to get the one from dicks...the Abu Garcia....however, if I can't which of the two posted from Bass Pro Shops would you suggest? I'd prefer to buy it online since I don't know when i would be able to get to a store, and I know that i have tried to find the same deal from dick's that i saw in the store, but it can't be found...
Old 09-03-09, 11:55 AM   #9
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Hahaha....and yet another guy stumbles onto the Silver Max / Lightning Rod Combo!!

Bassassinator, I own two of those combos, and have nothing but good things to say about them. If you do manage to get Mom to pony up the extra...it's a good rod and reel. Take a look around and see if you can find a $10 off $50 purchase coupon. Dicks has them all over the place. That would help.

+1 on the silver max combo.......its been my main rod and reel for awhile now,and ive got no complaints about it.....i would buy it agian (when that sale comes around)
Old 09-03-09, 03:46 PM   #10
wargoth

Berkley's non-Ugly Stick rods are significantly more sensitive than the Ugly Sticks, and there is a reason for that. The Ugly Stick is meant to be a utilitarian rod that will stand up to more abuse than other rods. The Lightning Rods, and Cherrywoods are both nice sensitive rods. I think due to so many here posting about their fancy-dancy high-end gear, that we tend to fall into the trap of believing that anything that isn't St. Croix, Loomis, or custom, is just garbage. This just isn't the case. I have a lighting rod that I have gotten many years of service out of and has landed everything from bluegill to a 38# Channel Cat. I have no complaints about them. Gotta remember rods are like cars. Sure, it is nice to have a Ferrari, but a Chevette will get you there just as well...
Old 09-03-09, 05:33 PM   #11
Bassassinator

umm ok i agree, but only one thing struck me as OFF in that previous quote....Shakespear makes Ugly Stiks....not Berkley. but i have held others, but in my honest opinion...i would like to try a different brand rod/reel combo since i have been using this one for 3 1/2 yrs. I WOULD go for the silvermax combo except for one problem...i haven't been able to find them online and the one's in the store are all left handed combo's...as I am right handed...this doesn't work.
Old 09-04-09, 01:03 AM   #12
wargoth

Oops Yer right bout that... got confused there... I always tend to confuse the 2 brands.
Old 09-04-09, 09:17 AM   #13
Bassassinator

lol it's good....hehe, If I didn't have one myself i might have made the same mistake, lol. but i think i will go with the BPS combo, and when i can afford a better and left handed reel i will go with that.
Old 09-05-09, 01:22 AM   #14
wargoth

Well, I have several of both, and still make that mistake... LOL
Old 09-05-09, 08:06 AM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

haha, yeah that's a great combo for the money I hear! here's a 10$ off coupon if you've got a printer. http://clhousingpictures.com/viewer....70busyfi30.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I think it is definately worth it. I'd offer to throw in the extra 20 bucks if I were you.

BB
I'd try that out too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassassinator View Post
No, not this one, get the low profile one if you do get it.
Old 09-06-09, 02:24 PM   #16
Bassassinator

actually i bypassed the Bass Pro Shops special they had, and instead went with the Daiwa Exceler combo from Cabela's and i hope it'll be exactly what I want for 70 bucks....It has gotten a 5 star review so far and everyone seems to like it, soi'll go with that. some of the guys reviewing use it for freshwater AND saltwater fishing and that made an impact on my decision as well. so thanks guys for all your input, and i'll be back soon and let you know how it's going with the new rod...
Old 09-06-09, 05:41 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Bassassinator,

You probably made a good purchase. However, try to remember one thing about saltwater fishing. Make sure to always flush your reel with fresh water when you get home! Even reels that are made specifically for salt water need to have this done...every time! That salt will eat up bearings and gears, even if the housing is made from non-corrodable materials like graphite or carbon fiber. I even flush my reels once in a while after fresh water fishing, just because of the grime that builds up on them.
Old 09-06-09, 10:05 PM   #18
Bassassinator

hey thanks...I just do freshwater for the moment but i was basing it off the fact that it can put up with the abuse from saltwater fishing and the toll it takes on the equipment.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.