Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-09, 03:29 AM   #26
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The whole blade thing is which do you need? Flash or thump... The willow blade provides far more flash while the colorado makes a ruckus. It really depends on what kind of water you are fishing...
Old 09-20-09, 09:51 AM   #27
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I've been using spinnerbaits for over 30 years now, having purchased my first Fleck spnnerbait when I was 15. The old timers surely remember Fleck. I've been making my own for a couple years now. One awsome spinnerbait that I have had fantastic success with this year is the line of KVD spinnerbaits from Strike King. The magic tails have pretty much eliminated the need for trailers. With normal skirts, I almost always use a 3"-4" twister grub or a 4" split tail trailer. As far as skirt color goes, I have basically two colors I use. White and the bluegill skirt from Strike King. I'm going to start making my own skirts soon. I do have some chartruese and white/chartruese blend skirts, but rarely use them. The white by itself seems to work just fine. The bluegill skirt has been my top producer this year! Chartruese will get the nod on cloudy days when white fails to produce. I almost exclusively fish spinnerbaits with two blades. I will either be using a colorado/willow tandem or a double colorado set up. I only use two blade finishes. Gold or silver, and prefer the blades to be one of each color. Mostly I prefer the smaller blade to be silver with gold making the main larger blade. But I have several with the silver blade being the larger blade of the two. I let the bass tell me which they prefer that day. As far as which blades to use, I prefer a double colorado for most of my shallow water fishing. Shallow being 1-5 feet in my area. The double colorado will ride higher in the water and can be worked slower around and over cover than a willow blade. If you wish to burn the spinnerbait just below the surface, I will work either a double colorado, or a willow/colorado combo depending on how fast I want the lure to travel. The willow/colorado combo will require a faster retrieve to stay near the surface. For mid depth range, 5-10 feet of water, I almost always use the willow/colorado tandem. This allows for a medium speed retrieve and still keep the spinnerbait down. At times, I will use a double colorado or single colorado in mid depth ranges when I want a slower retrieve. As for weights of spinnerbaits, I prefer the 3/8oz size most of the time. I have several 1/4oz baits for fishing shallow water slowly or when the bass simply want a smaller quieter offering, such as in calm water or smaller ponds. Otherwise, 3/8oz will cover most needs. I also have a few 1/2oz and 3/4oz for getting down deeper. One trick I've tried with success when making my own is to use a 3/4oz spinnerbait head with a tandem combo of no.2 colorado and no. 3 willow blades. The smaller blades on the heavier body allow much easier use for deeper water. I simply can't find anything like this on the market. In depths below 10 foot I rarely use a spinnerbait. I have, but I really prefer to change over to a deeper diving crankbait, weighted soft plastic or jig for that situation. Another blade which works well is the Indiana style blade. This is like a an elongated colorado blade, and it also performs very well. It will ride a bit deeper than a colorado, but higher than a willow. That makes it ideal for when you want a faster retrieve in shallow water but don't want to buzz the surface. As for trailer hooks, I usually don't use them unless the bass are short striking. That extra hook dangling out there causes more snag up problems and I rarely have short strikers with a spinnerbait.

Last edited by keithdog; 09-20-09 at 11:20 AM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 12:37 PM   #28
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

you dont need trailers. i only use trailers on jigs
Old 09-20-09, 06:57 PM   #29
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
you dont need trailers. i only use trailers on jigs
But they don't hurt!
If a spinnerbait is gonna have a trailerhook, the hook might as well attract fish as well.
I put 4" curly tail grubs on mine
Old 09-21-09, 08:43 PM   #30
Bassboss

Sure ya can! Peca craws, rage chunks, what ever has a lot of action! I wouldn't use a prok frog on there though. However, I like to use trailers like grubs, or tailer specifically made for spinnerbaits, they seem to work lots better!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.