Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-09, 07:43 PM   #1
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo
Default G Loomis Rods

What is the main difference in the GLX series rods? I am looking at the shaky head models heres the code: SHR822S
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...MIS-GLSHS.html#

Also how do you feel about these Kistlers?
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...LER-KLTXS.html

My use for which ever rod I buy would be shaky / weightless senkos

Thanks in advance, MOJO
Old 09-24-09, 09:03 PM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

I really can't speak to the GLX series since I don't own any, but I do own the Kistler Helium II LTX. As to the LTX, I would definitely recommend holding one in your hand before making a purchase. As you can see, the grip is wrapped in some sort of graphite thread. It's pretty rough to the touch, but I don't have any complaints with it. A few close friends who've used my Helium II LTX for the first time have said how they don't like the thread-wrapped grip, and I was a bit uncertain at first touch too, but I don't even notice the roughness anymore. You do get a marginally better grip of the rod with wet hands too.

My only complaint with my Helium is the Fuji reel seat they went with (the one with multiple finger contours). I'm not a fan of the "highly ergonomic" reel seats because they are generally designed for people who hold the rod with 2-fingers in front of the trigger. I generally have 3-fingers in front of the trigger so the contours don't add up with my finger placements quite perfectly. But I'm talking about the casting rod version I have, not spinning, so you won't have any issues with that.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 07:25 AM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've not used a Loomis GLX, I just cannot justify the expense for a single rod. Next, I wouldn't use the same rod for shaky head as for weightless senko's. As to Kistler's - it's the only rod I use. Mostly the Helium LTA's and a few of the new Argon rods. Shaky head, I use a 6'9" M LTA spinnng, weightless senko a 6'9" casting MH LTA.
I'm sure the GLX is a fantastic rod, but I can get two Kistler LTA's for the price of the GLX.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-09, 12:42 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Believe it or not I actually own a Loomis Bronzeback rod ML 6'10''.... I do know that the different Loomis ratings are weight related..as for the rod in question, I found that it has a bit stiffer tip than the Bronzeback rod. Hence the reason I bought it..

It is up to you on the Kistler.

Just let me state that shaky head fishing requires a lot of wrist movement you'll want as much support on your arm as possible. This wont be achieved by a split grip.

zooker
Old 09-29-09, 07:33 PM   #5
Vegasspider

Default I agree 100%

Bronzebacks are hard to beat. I have both IMX and Bronzebacks. I bait cast the IMX and for the very reason mentioned, the wrist support. To me I don’t care for the split grip with the exception of some jerk baits. On Lake Mead it’s a lot of shaky head and drop shot but you can also give the rotator a big work out with spooks all day. (Thank God for 800mg Advil’s)

The IMX has the stiffer tip but so do the some of the GL's. It’s just a lower cost rod but has similar results. Is it as stiff/firm as a IMX tip no but does it really need to be that stiff? It's a matter of preference. I am just a big G Loomis fan and they all catch fish.

If I had to pick just one G Loomis rod spinning or cast, no question it would be the Bronzebacks for value, feel, action, and grip. PERIOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
belive it or not i actually own a loomis bronzeback rod ml 6'10''.... i do know that the differant loomis ratings are weight related..as for the rod in question i found that it has a bit stiffer tip than the bronzeback rod. hence the reason i bought it..

it is up to you on the kristlar.

just let me state that shakey head fishing requires allot of wrist movement you'll want as much suport on your arm as possable.. this wont be achieved by a split grip...

zooker
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 10:26 PM   #6
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have used GLX rods, not the Kistlers, and they are SUPERB rods. I havent used the spinning, just the casting, and mind these are jig, t-rig, or c-rig rods that all 7 feet or above. All I can say is that G-Loomis are great rods, but the decision is up to you.
Old 10-06-09, 09:30 PM   #7
Cincinnati Kid
BassFishin.Com Member

Vegasspider,
Do you like the Bronzeback rods because you fish for smallies, or do you use those rods for other species too?

CiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasspider View Post
Bronzebacks are hard to beat. I have both IMX and Bronzebacks. I bait cast the IMX and for the very reason mentioned, the wrist support. To me I don’t care for the split grip with the exception of some jerk baits. On Lake Mead it’s a lot of shaky head and drop shot but you can also give the rotator a big work out with spooks all day. (Thank God for 800mg Advil’s)

The IMX has the stiffer tip but so do the some of the GL's. It’s just a lower cost rod but has similar results. Is it as stiff/firm as a IMX tip no but does it really need to be that stiff? It's a matter of preference. I am just a big G Loomis fan and they all catch fish.

If I had to pick just one G Loomis rod spinning or cast, no question it would be the Bronzebacks for value, feel, action, and grip. PERIOD
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 11:21 PM   #8
Vegasspider

Default Both

I really like the feel both in action and how it feels in my hand. I have noticed I am fishing a 7' 7" spinning with a stradic 2500 and I am not losing any fish. This has become my favorite combo. The 7'7" is kind of hard to find in stock but its worth the wait to order. I would think this would be a good shore combo. I keep 4 ready to go and pretty fish everything with it. It cast a shaky head a mile... I can skip a tube right on the number everytime with it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Vegasspider,
Do you like the Bronzeback rods because you fish for smallies, or do you use those rods for other species too?

CiK
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.