Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-09, 05:08 AM   #1
oh-you-no
BassFishin.Com Member

Post Using scent

Reading on another post and they state that they use scent on aftificial lure ,does this stuff really work where can I buy this product and how should apply on lures thanks for reading my post
oh-you-no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 10:52 AM   #2
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use smelly jelly and absolutely love it. I only use it on my jigs tho. Powerworms and senkos have scent built in. I dont believe hard baits need scent as most of the time thats a reaction strike, but some people scent their hard baits.

I cannot say enough good stuff about smelly jelly tho I really believe in that stuff. Just keep it outta the sun or you have smelly liquid untill it cools off.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 11:33 AM   #3
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I use smelly jelly and absolutely love it. I only use it on my jigs tho. Powerworms and senkos have scent built in. I dont believe hard baits need scent as most of the time thats a reaction strike, but some people scent their hard baits.

I cannot say enough good stuff about smelly jelly tho I really believe in that stuff. Just keep it outta the sun or you have smelly liquid untill it cools off.
i might have to try the smelly jelly....i use the berkley gulp alive....its extremely thin,doesnt seem to stay on very long(even when soaked)
and i cant tell a difference in my bites.
probably wont buy it again....just use it up till its gone.
Old 09-01-09, 11:49 AM   #4
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
i might have to try the smelly jelly....i use the berkley gulp alive....its extremely thin,doesnt seem to stay on very long(even when soaked)
and i cant tell a difference in my bites.
probably wont buy it again....just use it up till its gone.

smelly jelly has the consistancy of vaseline unless it's hot then its liquid. Once you put it in the water no matter the temp outside it stays on the baits real well. So well that well unless i change baits 1 application is all i need for a whole day with the bait.

*bring something to wash your hands with, if your like me and pack a few snacks in the boat they will leave an awful taste in your mouth if you dont wash your hands.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 11:58 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use carolina lunker sauce in crawdad.early then fish formula garlic the rest of the time..

there is like at least 20 scent company's out there..

zooker
Old 09-01-09, 12:48 PM   #6
Bassassinator
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Bassassinator

You guys use Salmon Eggs? my girl bought a jar the other day and was trying them out. What fish are they used for catching normally?
Old 09-01-09, 01:36 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

Quote:
smelly jelly has the consistancy of vaseline unless it's hot then its liquid. Once you put it in the water no matter the temp outside it stays on the baits real well. So well that well unless i change baits 1 application is all i need for a whole day with the bait.

*bring something to wash your hands with, if your like me and pack a few snacks in the boat they will leave an awful taste in your mouth if you dont wash your hands.
thanks for the tip.....and yea,i always bring snackin's on the boat.
Old 09-03-09, 08:54 PM   #8
abu4600

smelly jelly and megastrike are the best i've used.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 09:02 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassassinator View Post
You guys use Salmon Eggs? my girl bought a jar the other day and was trying them out. What fish are they used for catching normally?
Those are for trout and salmon , mostly spawning ones. But the stuff in the jars in junk. if you fish for trout, fresh eggs are the best. But I doubt bass would eat them.

BB
Old 09-03-09, 09:08 PM   #10
Bassassinator

Send a message via AIM to Bassassinator

anyone have any input on the YUM spray scents?
Old 09-04-09, 01:32 AM   #11
wargoth

IMHO any scent works. They really won't attract fish like they advertise as bass are primarily sight and vibration hunters, but the scent will give you a few extra moments to set the hook before Mr. Fishy spits the bait out. Really the major consideration is staying power, the longer the scent stays on the bait the less you need to re-apply it.
Old 09-04-09, 07:02 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassassinator View Post
anyone have any input on the YUM spray scents?
I use them on occasion, but I really don't think the make much of a difference. It could be just me, but I don't scents make much of a difference at all.

But here's the thing about fishing. Who cares if it really works or not, if you have confidence that it will catch you more fish, it most likely will.

BB
Old 09-20-09, 11:39 AM   #13
BASSINPHOENIX
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargoth View Post
IMHO any scent works. They really won't attract fish like they advertise as bass are primarily sight and vibration hunters, but the scent will give you a few extra moments to set the hook before Mr. Fishy spits the bait out. Really the major consideration is staying power, the longer the scent stays on the bait the less you need to re-apply it.
+1 i agree 100% it will give you extra moments to set the hook
BASSINPHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 01:03 PM   #14
66KingFisher

I think that using any brand of scent is better then using none at all......I started out using the original Fish Formula years ago, and never found a reason to stop or to switch....I spray it on my hardbaits, and squirt some in the bags of plastic baits for them to soak in.....Gooooood stuff.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 08:49 PM   #15
Bassboss

Quote:

Yup! Doc hit it on the head right there! I sometimes use them on soft baits, like zoom, only because they don't have a lot of sent built in. Other wise, powerbait, YUM and the like I don't think you need to put any on, but it may help, or it may not, if you have confidence in it, use it! I say it's just a wast of sent to put it on any crankbaits, spinnerbaits, top waters, or any fast moving reaction baits.
Old 09-21-09, 09:06 PM   #16
bamabassman

just recieved some lunker sauce form a dear, good friend. always wanted to try it, now i gots some. thanks lash. i WILL use it buddy.
Old 09-21-09, 09:51 PM   #17
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Chompers formla G Gralic there baits seemed to catch me fish in hard times so why not use it on all my plastics!? That stuff is nasty though. Ill open a bag or bottle up on the boat and my partner up or down wind well go nuts he hates the smell, so every once in awhile ill throw and old plastic under his seat for a surprise in the am
Old 09-22-09, 08:34 PM   #18
BERKLEY83

Always had good luck with the megastrike gary yamamoto formula it is a craw fish scent.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 09:40 PM   #19
BeaverIslander

I'd like to try some new stuff. I bought a bottle of Gulp Garlic and I can't tell a difference although I do like Gulp baits otherwise. It's basically like water, but they say to put it on every 15 casts. haha
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 09:55 PM   #20
muddy

I have no idea if these actually work, I have used them faithfully for years and continue to do so;
1. My Own : one ounce bottle of Pure Anise Oil ( local pharmacy @ 8.49 a bottle). I mix it with 4 ounces of mineral oil in a spray bottle.
2. Crawfish/Anise Smelly Jelly

I use it on most of my soft plastics and really do not have a clue how it effects my fishing.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.