Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-09, 04:00 PM   #1
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default The Gear Trap...

Another post got me thinking on this topic, and I thought I would sound off on it. I call it the Gear Trap...

Many of you might guess I am talking about the Bait Monkey, but actually, this trap is set mostly by the guys on these boards with the money and resources to be running ultra high-end gear. I have been seeing alot of guys falling into this trap of believing that anything except for G. Loomis, St. Croix, and other rods and reels of this calibur are utter garbage. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Tackle is like cars: While it is certainly nice to drive a Ferarrie or Rolls Royce, a Chevette, or Ford Taurus will get you to the same place just perhaps a little bit less comfortably and a little slower. There are plenty of GREAT rod and reel combos to be had for under $100. Hell, one of my most reliable reels cost a whopping $29.99 and has been far less trouble and even outlived some of my more expensive ones.

So remember, there is nothing wrong with ultra high end gear, but when you are on a budget, you are on a budget. You'll be better served by getting that inexpensive setup now and getting fishing rather than sitting out for 2 seasons believing you have to have the uber-leet gear to catch fish.
Old 09-03-09, 04:11 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

one of my favorite qoutes:

'' its not the tools,its the carpenter''

i dont own a reel or rod that cost me over $60.
not one of them has given me any problems....

although,i would be lying if i didnt say my next few will be a little higher end...just a little,lol

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 09-03-09 at 04:19 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 04:27 PM   #3
wargoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
although,i would be lying if i didnt say my next few will be a little higher end...just a little,lol
Well, yeah... we all want to be driving that Ferrari when we have the chance. I just meant this for all those that are hung up on the high-end gear, and forgetting it is more important to get out there and do it, rather than not doing it because they don't have "the right gear".

To rehash a previous quote here: The best rod & reel combo is the one in your hand you are fishing with.
Old 09-03-09, 05:29 PM   #4
Bassassinator

Send a message via AIM to Bassassinator

I agree. I know i don't have much knowledge about some gear and fishing in General, but i know I have a budget and i for one want to get what i can with what i am alotted. I wouldn't mind if it was the best quality for the price, and service is a plus as well, but i know i'd rather be fishing than wishing.
Old 09-03-09, 05:36 PM   #5
islandbass

You make a good point and I agree with you that high end items are not necessary but at the same time, they are nice to have. On the other side however, I'll take myself for an example. Once you are "at" a certain level of expectation, it is somewhat difficult when given the choice to go "backward."

For example, my first good spinning reel was a Shimano Symetre. I love this reel to death and because I am at this "level" for lack of a better word, I find it hard to go in reverse and use something like a Sonora or a Slade. Maybe it's just my hands, but, I prefer to have the feel that the symetre gives me and the lesser reels, in Shimano's line, while I reckon they're sufficient for bass fishing, they're just not going to feel as right in my hands and therefore, I'm not buying.

It's just hard to go backward. In essence, I think that is where those folks at GLX or IMX or whatever high end level gear are coming from. Once you've tasted the forbidden fruit...

As for the quote, "The best rod & reel combo is the one in your hand you are fishing with," that is my philosphy.
Old 09-03-09, 06:03 PM   #6
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Man, the urge to get some of that so-called "high end" stuff is mostly just human behavior. When a guy works hard his whole life, lives on beans and rice, and skrimps and saves, and finally reaches a point where he's financially set, he likes to have some nice toys. Most of the $300 rods and $300 reels are bought by professional fishermen (captains, I mean...not bass pros), and middle aged guys who want to "fly first class" so to speak.

You shouldn't feel any pressure whatsoever to keep up with them in terms of gear "fashion". They (we lol) are spending 200% as much money on gear for a 10-50% improvement in performance. You can still catch fish with a Zebco 33 combo, man. So try to spend within your budget and take no crap from anyone with a shinier rod and reel than you.
Old 09-03-09, 06:08 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I definately agree with IB that it IS hard to go backwards.

I personally like to use the bext gear I can afford, even it means I have to save up for a year to buy a combo.

I also don't think lower end rods are junk, I think they're great if that's all you can afford, but I do think they aren't as good as a loomis.

You have to remember, while a lightning rod will do the same job as a Loomis GLX, it does lack a lot of things. For one, sensitivity, which makes it more efficient as its job. The lightning rod also has cheaper components. A lower end rod's ceramic guides can't compete with the Fuji SiC guides on most high end rods.

Reels are the same way. A REvo PRemier and a Silver Max will both casts your lure, but the Premier will outcast the silvermax. it will also be smoother, and most likely last longer due to better parts.

So if you handed me 300 bucks to spend, I'd spend it all on one combo, instead of 3 $100 combos.

BB
Old 09-03-09, 06:13 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
So if you handed me 300 bucks to spend, I'd spend it all on one combo, instead of 3 $100 combos.
You bring up a good point, BB144,

The more experienced fisherman has also been at it a lot longer, so he has had time to gradually replace his gear with more expensive stuff. If a guy is just starting out with $300, I would recommend the three $100 combos, or heck, even six $50 combos. Next year, when he has the same $300, he can replace one of his combos, next year, the same, and so on and so on. I think it's important to have more than one or two rigs. You don't need twenty, but I think having a few helps to streamline the process.
Old 09-03-09, 06:38 PM   #9
Bassassinator

Send a message via AIM to Bassassinator

I agree nofear, whereas i am only just starting out it seems there are different options and "Tools" for certain circumstances and lures that I will have to bear in mind when fishing, so the option to have a few different setups to accomodate will definitely make it easier than trying to reline a single setups reel with heavier/lighter line in the middle of a fishing trip. It would definitely make the trip more enjoyable and allow you to spend your time fishing rather than wrestling a rod...lol
Old 09-03-09, 06:40 PM   #10
Jim80

just buy whatever ya see and worry about it later , As towards the topic I have yet to spend over a hundred dollars on a rod or a reel , but most likely will soon . To date my most expensive reel is a daiwa megaforce and a pinnacle inertia and both preform extremely well .

jim
Old 09-03-09, 06:42 PM   #11
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post

'' its not the tools,its the carpenter''
a very apt quote- i like it..

just because some pro angler/pro salesman wins a tourny with a given combo that is $700 each.-which he don't pay for btw- don't mean you have to run out and buy it. you will catch just as many fish on a $200 combo..

yes i'll amit to ownin several high rods and reels.i have had gloomis rods and a steez reels i liked none of them. hence the reason i sold them..

of all my setups some 50, i have $90 average in a rod. i almost always buy my rods new..i have $100 average in reels,some of which were bought in yard sales for $15 each and repaired.

to use wiffle jaws quote in a way. carpenters with good quality but beatin tools are often the best to build you a house. where as a carpenter with all new tools i would not let him build me a dog house..

zooker
Old 09-03-09, 06:52 PM   #12
keithdog

Wargoth, I love this post. And nofear, you make an excellent point. The more experienced anglers are usually the ones who over the years have worked their way up so to speak to better equipment. But like WaffleJaw eluded to, a fisherman is going to have more sucess from knowing what he knows than what he has. Sure, after 40 years of bass fishing I have some very nice equipment. It's not top of the line but it's definately very good stuff. Above middle of the road I'd say. But what good would it do me if I had no idea what I was doing out there? Better gear makes the job easier, and functions and lasts longer. But is it necessary? Not really. I remember a fishing guide on Cass Lake MN who caught tons of walleye, pike, and a few musky on some Johnson Century outfits. I couldn't believe it! But I saw it with my own eyes. So buy what you can afford and have fun! After all, unless bass fishing is how you make a living, the fun factor is what it's all about.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 01:19 AM   #13
wargoth

Like I said guys, this was really aimed at the "newbs" as "a use what you can get" reassurance. That way, you can be out there on the water fishing, and worrying about feeding the monkey when you got the spare monkey chow ($$$). I absolutely agree with grabbing high end rigs if and when the opportunity presents itself, and have slowly but surely upgraded my gear over the years.

I was just trying to make the point that when we are giving our opinions of rod/reel setups, that we compare that gear to other gear in it's price range. I have noticed a tendency in alot of posts over the years to kinda compare low or mid grade gear to the top end toys. If someone is asking about an opinion on a $50 Pinnacle reel, it is kinda silly to compare it to a $250 Curado. Know what I mean?
Old 09-04-09, 07:53 AM   #14
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargoth View Post
Like I said guys, this was really aimed at the "newbs" as "a use what you can get" reassurance. That way, you can be out there on the water fishing, and worrying about feeding the monkey when you got the spare monkey chow ($$$). I absolutely agree with grabbing high end rigs if and when the opportunity presents itself, and have slowly but surely upgraded my gear over the years.

I was just trying to make the point that when we are giving our opinions of rod/reel setups, that we compare that gear to other gear in it's price range. I have noticed a tendency in alot of posts over the years to kinda compare low or mid grade gear to the top end toys. If someone is asking about an opinion on a $50 Pinnacle reel, it is kinda silly to compare it to a $250 Curado. Know what I mean?
Another good point wargoth. I've seen many posts where suggestions for tackle under a certain budget cost were simply ignored. When a person posts a question about the best rig to buy for under $100.00, there is no doubt that is the most a person has, or is willing to spend. Why suggest a rig that will cost tripple that amount? I know the intentions of those responding with suggestions for more expensive tackle have very good intentions and want to lead the poster a better purchase. But in all honesty, simply answering the question as posted will offer much more help than a suggestion the poster simply cannot afford, or does not want to spend. Not everyone wants to be or can be a part time weekend pro.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 08:28 AM   #15
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

When the $49.99 walmart combo breaks, you laugh. When the new Abu STX breaks, you cry. And then hunt down the free wiley x's and smash em. If you can get your lure where it needs to go, spend that extra money on the right line and lures instead.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 01:00 PM   #16
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

BB
What about 5 $60 combos?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.