Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-09, 09:23 PM   #1
keysd13
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Flipping rod

Gonna purchase a new flipping rod. What would you guys buy?
Old 09-21-09, 10:08 PM   #2
danielbasspro

I have a Falcon Lowrider Heavy Action 7' it is perfect.
Old 09-22-09, 07:57 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I like 7'6" for flipping, and 7' for pitching, but for doing a combination of both, use the 7'6". I use a H rod for pitching and used to use a MH for flipping (had to take my reel off it when I got my pitching/jig rod)

It all depends on what you want to spend.

Shimano Crucial flipping stick, Falcon Cara, G. Loomis, etc.

My jig/pitching rod is a Loomis IMX MBR844C. (7' H). for flipping, before I had to take my reel off it for my new jig rod, was a 7'6" MH stick that my dad built for me. but it was built on a cheap blank and isn't real sensitive.

For a lower priced rod, I've heard the St. Croix Mojo bass lfippin stick is nice.

BB
Old 09-22-09, 08:46 AM   #4
Culln5

Definately 7' or 7'6" graphite rod. I prefer a butt end that is at least the length of my forearm from the reel seat. Price can vary by the hundred, so make a budget and stick with it.
Old 09-22-09, 09:17 AM   #5
nofearengineer

I have a St. Croix Mojo Bass 7'6" flipping rod. I like it so much, I use it for jigs and spinnerbaits too.
Old 09-22-09, 10:24 AM   #6
keysd13

I would like to keep it under or near $325. I was looking at a loomis, but don't have any experience with their stuff. I have two options with the reel. 1. is a abu revo sx HS or 2. Shimano chronarch.
Old 09-22-09, 01:39 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Of the two reels you said, Definately the Revo.

Around 325, you can't go wrong with a loomis, light, sensitive, great warranty. If there's one complaint I have about loomis rods is they don't use high end SiC guides on their high end rods.

The crucial flipping stick would be a good choice as well since there is no Cumara flipping sticks, and I don't think there will be any time soon, since they just introduced the Cumara Reaction series.

You might also want to look into a Daiwa Zillion rod. I have never used one, but have heard good things. I would go great with a Zillion reel, which is available in a 7.1:1 since you want a high speed.

Daiwa Zillion Flipping Stick
Daiwa Zillion

The Zillion is one of the nicest, smoothest, best casting reels I've ever used. I'd definately recommend one.

or you could check the Daiwa Aggrest (7.3:1) to keep costs down a bit. I'm sure it'd fit the Daiwa rod nicely.

BB
Old 09-22-09, 06:35 PM   #8
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Couple questions.....what weight bait do you flip? 1/4oz, 1/2oz, 3/4oz?? What type of cover you fishing? And what length rod works best for you?
Couple years ago I spoke with a guy who was 6'7" tall and he loved a 7'10" flipping stick I was selling. Why? Because he had rarely seen a rod that long. It made a huge difference to him compared to a 6'6" or 7' rod.
Old 09-22-09, 06:44 PM   #9
keysd13

3/8-1/4 and 7ft plus. I was thinking a 7'6
Old 09-22-09, 10:23 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Couple years ago I spoke with a guy who was 6'7" tall and he loved a 7'10" flipping stick I was selling. Why? Because he had rarely seen a rod that long. It made a huge difference to him compared to a 6'6" or 7' rod.
You make a good point, 3d. That is probably why I like to use my 7'6" for some general use as well. I'm 6'5". I figure if 5'10" guys can use a 7' rod for spinnerbaits, I can use a 7'6", right?
Old 09-23-09, 06:13 PM   #11
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have a tough time with my 7'5" and I'm 5'10". 6'6" is good for flipping close in on docks docks but my St. Croix 7' is perfect for flipping everything else. I love the Loomis Mossyback 7'5" for punching grass with a 1oz tungsten but it's a little long for me and is tough in tight situations.

Try to match the conditions with the rod and your preferences. See if you can test a 7' and a 7'6" one day (borrow a friends) and see what feels best for you. Then buy one. It's tough spending good money on a rod that doesn't perform as well as you expect.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.