Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-10, 08:44 PM   #1
bassking97
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Pond Fishing

I'm fishing in a neiborhood pond with a tree casting a shadow cover and some logs. how woul I be able to catch a largemouth bass. I fish from shore because I don't have a boat. It's a pond about 20 yards wide.

Thanks!
bassking97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 09:04 PM   #2
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My favorite way to catch bass from the shore fishing pond is with a shaky head. I use zoom trick worms and just cast it out by the cover, let it sit for a few seconds and just slowly twitch the bait in the water. I've caught as many as 40 bass a day in ponds doing that.
Old 01-17-10, 09:55 PM   #3
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

You might want to get a hold of your parks district to see if there are any bass in that pond. If there is bass in the pond soft plastics is the way to go. Any worm or lizard t-rigged is a safe bet.
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 10:28 PM   #4
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'd start off with a senko style or some other plastic also. Also have good luck with lipless cranks.
Old 01-17-10, 11:06 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

20 yrds wide? How long? Maybe if it's too small their to be bass in there?

But anyway. I sure fire to catch bass anywhere a wacky worm! They work really well for small bodies of water!

He's what they are!

So take a small wacky rig hook (I like owner wacky rig hooks), tie it your line (at the most 12lb), and take a zoom finesse worm and hook right through the middle of the worm or through the egg sack.

Cast it out and let it sink to the bottom (or pretty far down there) and jiggle the rod tip while lifting the rod up. Make sure you watch the line when it sinks or when you lift it up. If you see the line move anywhere but down, lower your rod tip, let it take it for 5 seconds or so, and set the hook!

Good luck!
Old 01-17-10, 11:21 PM   #6
TN_Bassin

Well in my farm ponds a finesse jig with a swimmin pork is candy for Bass and every now and then a Catfish. Also a Stanley Ribbit Frog is irresistable.
Old 01-18-10, 12:10 AM   #7
keithdog

Another good way to snag a pond bass would be to use a #7 floating original Rapala. Spinning gear with 10 pound mono works well. Toss it out near the cover you think should hold a bass and just let it float on the surface a few seconds. Then start twiching it with your rod to make it shiver and dance on the surface. Give it a short tug to make it dive briefly under the surface and let it float back up. This has worked for me for more years than I care to admit.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 10:08 AM   #8
BlueDaksi
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassking97 View Post
I'm fishing in a neiborhood pond with a tree casting a shadow cover and some logs. how woul I be able to catch a largemouth bass. I fish from shore because I don't have a boat. It's a pond about 20 yards wide.

Thanks!
Assuming there is bass in such a small pond (what is the maximum depth? - should be at least 8ft deep in temperate regions as a general rule of thumb), I would recommend the age-old Texas Rigged "purple worm" or soft plastic stickbait (Senko). Cast out to the deepest part (assuming it is still very cold where you are), take up the slack in the line, keep the bail open, and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Keep a finger on the line so you can detect a bite. If you feel a fish pick it up, don't immediately set the hook, but wait for the second bigger tug - sometimes they will just pick up the bait, swim of with it, and then eat it - go ahead and let them swim with it then set the hook when you feel the second bite. If you feel no bite, close the bail, and lift the rod to move the bait a few feet, and reel in the slack again - you can even shake your rod tip to impart some action while you move the bait. Then repeat this until you get a fish on.

I actually hit up many small ponds after ice-out up here in Western NY because they are usually the first water to open up. Something to consider is that a small recreation kayak is a great way to fish small ponds - I do this and it really let's you easily fish an entire pond thoroughly and have a lot of fun while doing it. Sometimes even fishing a small pond can be difficult to fish from shore because of surrounding brush or debris in the water. Smaller recreation kayaks are lightweight and easy to car top and carry to often unexploited smaller big bass water. Good luck!

Last edited by BlueDaksi; 01-18-10 at 04:10 PM.
BlueDaksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 02:47 PM   #9
Psycho_Wolf
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Psycho_Wolf

My go to for pond bass is a 3 inch tube rigged with the jig head on the outside. This bait set up is extremely versatile and can be fished a variety of ways. Of course a weightless Senko is always good.
Psycho_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 04:31 PM   #10
cassidyta

If you want to know if they are in there, throw on a live minnow or gold fish with a bobber!
Once you know, then you can refine your technique.
Old 01-19-10, 09:08 PM   #11
aikenyounggun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
20 yrds wide? How long? Maybe if it's too small their to be bass in there?

But anyway. I sure fire to catch bass anywhere a wacky worm! They work really well for small bodies of water!

He's what they are!

So take a small wacky rig hook (I like owner wacky rig hooks), tie it your line (at the most 12lb), and take a zoom finesse worm and hook right through the middle of the worm or through the egg sack.

Cast it out and let it sink to the bottom (or pretty far down there) and jiggle the rod tip while lifting the rod up. Make sure you watch the line when it sinks or when you lift it up. If you see the line move anywhere but down, lower your rod tip, let it take it for 5 seconds or so, and set the hook!

Good luck!

Thats how you do it, but you can basically not do anything with it, just let it sit there, the first sink is KEY! But i never doubt bass can be in any pond, you would be amazed where i have caught em before.
Old 01-22-10, 06:55 PM   #12
bamabassman

My favorite small pond bait is the MANN'S GRAPE 8" JELLY WORM. Texas rigged and creeping it along the banks.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.