Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-12, 02:46 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Why so Heavy

I was reading the article from Keithdog about new strategies for 2013 and it got me thinking about something. I think I am the only angler casting with 6 and 10lb braid. I even flip with 15 and 20lb braid. I just fell in love with braid….I know it has its drawbacks but I have gotten so in sync with it! I can throw 6lb a mile and flipping and pitchin is smooth with 15 and 20lb. now I get it if you’re in heavy vegetation than a heavier line is going to help you cut through the veggies.
I come to a couple of conclusions…..Fishing for reds has taught me some things. I used to worry about the bass seeing my braid even though it is almost as thin as thread. Catching reds has taught me to tie a leader without fear of the knot breaking. I have caught 10 and 15lb reds on 10 and 15lb braid with around 20lb seaguar red label leader material. Also I was told that 10 and 15lb braid is terrible with wind knots…..some truth to this. I was using reel magic with good results. But this year I went to Emerald isle, NC to fish reds. Change up with the gear I went with 10 and 15lb braid but switched to Pflueger arbor reels with the wide spool…..love em….not as smooth as some of the top end Pfluegers and Shimanos but the cast was a noticeable difference!
But I question having to use such heavy line just to use heavy line. I understand that cover and structure can play a part because of abrasion and nicks and different test line also sinks and reacts differently on some bait. Here’s something else to consider. If you’re throwing 20lb line but your reel only gives you 12lbs of drag. So if you grab a 30 red whether you have 15lb test or 25lb test you’re still only going to get the amount of drag your reel is rated for. Again the conditions play a factor but in water that has little cover ……why so heavy??
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.