Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-10, 01:30 AM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Why is the wimpier rod rated for stronger line?

http://www.quantumfishing.com/produc...Superlite.aspx

Why is the 7'0mh rated for higher lb test than the 7'4MH? It makes no sense to me. I'd rather flip with a 7'4 than a 7'0 but the line rating scares me.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 06:59 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
http://www.quantumfishing.com/produc...Superlite.aspx

Why is the 7'0mh rated for higher lb test than the 7'4MH? It makes no sense to me. I'd rather flip with a 7'4 than a 7'0 but the line rating scares me.
I would send their customer support an email and ask them. It could be a typo mistake on someones part. I've found that to be the case more than once.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 10:18 AM   #3
Tavery5

I may be off base, but I am going to guess this has to do with the laws of leverage. With all things being resonably the same between the rods, the extra 4 inches would increase the amount of pressure that is being applied to the weakest area of the shaft. The trade off for the longer rod would be a slight decrease in the in the amount of weight it can handle without failure.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 10:25 AM   #4
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would also check wheter both rods are fast, x-fast or medium fast . If the smaller rod is of a lesser action then it can take a higher Line pound rating without snapping the tip. It isnt only the power rating but also the action, as that determines where the tip will start to arch.

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 07-13-10 at 10:42 AM.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 10:29 AM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I may be off base, but I am going to guess this has to do with the laws of leverage. With all things being resonably the same between the rods, the extra 4 inches would increase the amount of pressure that is being applied to the weakest area of the shaft. The trade off for the longer rod would be a slight decrease in the in the amount of weight it can handle without failure.
On the flip side, it would seem that the longer length would distribute the load over a larger area which would enable the rod to handle more weight.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-10, 10:50 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd have to agree with Ebbets. Since they are the same power (MH), I'd check out the actiion. If the shorter rod has an XF action and the longer has a F action, it would effect the line rating.

Now, there is one other rod I've seen like this. The Abu Garcia 7'6" MH Vendetta has a line rating of 1/2-3oz, while the 7'6" H rod has a line rating of 3/8-1-1/2.

BB
Old 07-13-10, 11:17 AM   #7
jooleyen

I checked the taper/action. It's on the page in the link. I was thinking along the lines of Jrob. And Keith, I'll do that... good idea.
Old 07-13-10, 11:25 AM   #8
Jrob78

The 7' rod is probably a designated c-rig rod, or something along those lines. It is probably built on a blank with a magnum taper. The odd thing is all the MH rods are listed as 6 powers but they are clearly not all the same.
Old 07-13-10, 11:29 AM   #9
jooleyen

I had the 7' and it was no c-rig rod. What's a magnum taper?
Old 07-13-10, 11:32 AM   #10
Jrob78

A magnum taper basically means that the butt of the blank is of a larger diameter than its non-magnum counterpart. It makes for a stiffer rod with more backbone. Most casting rods do have a magnum taper, some more so than others though.
Old 07-13-10, 06:43 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
That would be my guess. Take a pool cue and then a dowel the same diameter 3 times as long and try to break it. I guarantee the longer one will break first, or at least much easier.
Old 07-13-10, 07:54 PM   #12
keithdog

The website shows they both have a fast taper. This sounds like a question for nofear! Where is a engineer when you need one???
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-10, 09:49 PM   #13
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Common sense..... I like it.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.