Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-07, 11:45 PM   #1
islandflyfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher
Default Help! People are eating local bass!

I called FWC (Florida Wild Life Commission), and they all got ticketed for not having a license. I am sick of seeing the fish populations getting destroyed because people clean them out in a few trips. They yelled at my friend for releasing a fish.
In a local canal, I had caught some the biggest bass of my life and many other nice ones. This canal connects to a chain of canals and a lake that form a sort of square. I have caught all of my four pound and up peacock, but one in this system.
These guys used to come frequently for a period of time, and we rarely saw any sizable fish in this time. They hadn't come for a while untill last week, and we were finally starting to get two to three pounders. My friend even lost a five pounder.
Any ideas on what to do? They say that they are coming back tommorrow (I guess they figured out who called).

Should I put up some kind of sign? What would you guys do?
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 11:59 PM   #2
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Can't do anything unless they are breaking a law! Ask to see their licenses tomorrow ( you can legally do this) if no license call FWC again!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 07:58 AM   #3
islandflyfisher

Send a message via AIM to islandflyfisher

I mean, should I buy no parking signs and put them up or something like that?
islandflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 09:36 AM   #4
bassbooger

Just like Chris said, you can't do anything about it unless it is your personal property. There is no law against eating fish that you catch. I'm not telling you to do anything, but fish won't bite while people are throwing rocks in the water. At the lake I fish most there is a guy who lives off of a cove and if you enter that cove trying to fish, he will come out with a sledge hammer and start hitting his dock supports. He even has a large metal post sticking out of the water that he hammered into the bottom. He hits that too just to make sure there aren't any fish down there while trying to fish in that area. It can be quite amusing.
Old 03-01-07, 09:52 AM   #5
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandflyfisher View Post
I mean, should I buy no parking signs and put them up or something like that?
Island Fly, YOU do not have the legal authority to dictate parking law (or any other law for that matter.) You'd be wasting money on signs that perhaps even the cops might remove. You could be charged as well.
At worst, some other fisherman may well perforate your hide with his lil' Saturday Night Special. Remember, if these folks are willing to break one law (fishing without a valid license) what makes you think they are beyond harming a kid whom they see as appointing himself Judge and Jury?
There are a lot of folks out there who are being scofflaws not necessarily 'cause they want to be. Some are poor folk who see that canal full of fish as a source of sustenance. True, they know they are violating law, but a hungry father or mom with hungry kids WILL take chances.
Now, if as in some areas, you're dealing with a wad of illegal immigrants, or certain oriental types who just don't believe in obeying game and conservation laws, sic the law on 'em at every opportunity, especially if they've brought along some brewskis to sip as they fish. If they can afford beer, they can afford a &^^$%@#! license!
Be sure that YOU know the laws pertaining to that body of water. Alert the appropriate authorities, then stand back and let THEM do their jobs.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 10:33 AM   #6
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I think that if they are not licensed, they shouldn't be fishing. However, I Also think that if they are, and they choose to keep and eat fish, they are more than welcome to, up to the allowable limit, every day if they choose, it's what the license is for. I practice catch and release 99% of my trips, but I like to eat fish a few times a year as well (go ahead, flame me!), they're pretty tasty.

That being said, if they are not licnsed, I think the appropriate folks should be called. I also think that if they are licensed, and you notice a decline in the fish populations, the correct way to go about this would be to contact the same authority, and ask for them to do a test, expressing your concerns on the population. The fish (you never said it wasn't a public area), are there for everyone, we can't be out there making our own rules, or doling out vigilante justice, it turns the tables, and makes the respectable fishermen the enemy at this point.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 11:40 AM   #7
HOG Ranger

Be very careful dealing with strangers, especially in a secluded area. If you think they are not legal call the DNR and report them but do not approcach them yourself.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 11:41 AM   #8
KeithsCatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Well first I want to thank you for caring about the sport and conservaion. I wish everyone had the same passion as you.

Second, as other mentioned I would call the game wardens in a heart beat if they are in fact breaking any laws. Even if they are keeping fish there are minimal size limits and state wide regulations for keeping fish over a specific size. So watch them if they keep more then 5 bass per person then call the warden. If they are keeping undersized fish or oversized fish then call the Warden. Since you are a kid I wouldn't suggest confronting them. But since you are a kid then skipping rocks in the area isn't a bad idea

It does suck that so many people keep large bass in this state. I wish to God it would be different but it is what it is. I personally think because of this Florida will never have a chance at a world record bass. Too many people remove 10lbers thus lessoning the chances at bass reaching teen status or even 20lb status.
Old 03-01-07, 12:16 PM   #9
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Easy ways to get them might be on size limits and/or creel limits if they're applicable to the body of water.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.