Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-10, 08:30 PM   #1
TheBassDoctor
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Newbie: Buying used boat at dealer

Forgive a newbie from the start. I am a first time buyer. I inherited a '93 Ranger 492VX. I have financing & want to get a newer used boat. Is buying a used boat at a dealer like buying a car (shop, haggle, trade the old one & drive the new one off the lot)?

The other part of the question: the Ranger has been stored for 3 yrs inside. Has about 30 gallons of 3 yr old gas. Not sure if winterized. Ran GREAT 3 yrs ago, is faded & dinged up like a well-used boat. Has '93 Merc 200hp;new MinnKota PowerDrive2 70# TM; new Lowrance 525; Stealth1 charger. The question is: will this trade & for about how much?

Sorry so long. I'll do better next time.
TheBassDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-10, 08:49 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

To answer the first question.........YES! It is just like buying a car, but it is a boat. lol. Haggle, test drive, trade or whatever you want to do.

Second question...........post some pics to get a better answer. But go to several dealers too. Might be better off selling it without trading in. You may get more money.
Drain the old gas, do a tune up, wash and put a little elbow greese into a polish. You will be surprised how much MORE you can get if you clean it up real nice. Also do a little testing of batterys, wires and so forth so you know what works and don't work. All this will educate you more on boats and also help you in selling or trading it in.

And i should have said this first.......WELCOME to the site pal. You can and will find alot of answers to your questions here. We are crazy here. But if oyu can take a joke as well as give it, oyu'll be fine.
Old 05-10-10, 09:21 PM   #3
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Stands to reason that boat dealers, like car dealers are looking to buy used boats wholesale so they can sell retail at a profit. So you may well be better off selling your inherited boat outright...and like bama says, you'll always get more if it's cleaned up, shiney and in good working order.
Old 05-10-10, 09:23 PM   #4
bamabassman

Post up some pics man. You never know, someone HERE may want it.
Old 05-10-10, 11:20 PM   #5
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Welcome to the site bud. Hope you enjoy as much as the rest of us.
Old 05-11-10, 08:23 AM   #6
TheBassDoctor
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the help... and the welcome. I'll spit & polish and I guess I have some engine cleaning to do. I appreciate the previous threads about clearing the motor of old gas. Just one question on that: I haven't found anyone who can dispose of 30+ gallons of old gas. Any suggestions? I've even called the local EMA & several marinas in my area. No go.

BTW... the pic is my son with his first ever (and smallest ever) pike, caught last year on Lake Charleston, Ontario.
Old 05-11-10, 08:26 AM   #7
TheBassDoctor
BassFishin.Com Member

He lassoed the pike with the wire leader going around his gills & the hook grappling the leader above his head! Never saw that before!
Old 05-11-10, 09:02 AM   #8
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Some Seafoam in the gas will fix the gas issue. The 93 Merc 200 has a clear line that runs from the oil injecter to the fuel pump I think. It most likely will need to be replaced with a new hose. The ethanol in the fuel from 3 years ago has most likely ate it away. If it is a clear line? They used the clear line to help see the oil movement. But it is not compatible with ethanol.

Also if you trade used for used you will not get full value. Best to sell outright and use the money to lower your finance charges. One more point is that new boats will cost less in long run. And you will enjoy it better.

Capt Mike
Old 05-11-10, 07:50 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Sounds like everyone has got you squared away with good advice so I will just say good luck in getting your new boat and welcome to the site.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.