Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-12, 12:26 AM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default What's the difference?

Between a 15 dollar crankbait and a 4-6 dollar one?

Is the action of the 15 dollar bait that much better than the 5 dollar bait? Is the paint that much better?

I've often wondered this and I'm looking to expand my crank bait selection if the 10 dollar difference is really worth it in the end.

This is obviously subjective and each persons opinion which I want to hear.
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 06:17 AM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Normally the expensive cranks do have better hooks, better internals, better paint and a better design/action. Can you buy a $15 crank that's a worthless dud? Sure Can you a buy a $4-8 Bomber or Shad Rap that's a fish catching machine? Absolutely
Old 07-12-12, 06:55 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The overall build and quality of components is usually going to be better on a 15$ crank compared to a cheeper 6$ crank. Often, you will be able to get a smaller crankbait that weighs more with the more expensive version which aids in casting distance as well. But you know what, I catch bass on all price range crankbaits. I love my Lucky Crafts but I wouldn't be caught dead without my Strike Kings and Bandits either! One thing about the Lucky Crafts is I never change anything on them and they always track straight out of the package. The ones I have still look like new despite being thrown to death. But I will admit, I've only bought my Lucky Craft cranks when they were on sale.
Old 07-12-12, 08:19 AM   #4
Dogmatic

Next to jigs, I lose cranks the most. So if I want to keep a supply, I usually buy the cheaper cranks, and next to plastics, they're the highest producers. I save my money for big swimbaits.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 11:27 AM   #5
bassboogieman

Biggest differences I see would be the hooks, but that can be remidied on any crank by a replacement with a quality treble, then you'll be closer in original price. Paint finish, that was a big difference just a few years ago, but some of the more economical baits are comming out with good finishes now. The one that hasn't changed is the way a lure runs out of the package, the higher price lures run correctly and consistanly first time they hit the water.

Do they catch more fish? Sommatime yes, sommatime, no. If fish are feeding aggressively putting any lure within striking distance will usually get bit, other times bass will be attracted by a particular action, which may be a Lucky Craft or a Bomber, you just never know.

One thing bad about the expensive cranks is losing one, a good lure retreiver is a must. Many times you need to put the crank in the junk, or it will not get hit, regardless whether it's a Lucky Craft or a BPS $3.00 bargin bin bait. If losing one concerns you, don't buy them and go with something more in line with your budget, you will still catch fish and I hate to admit it (as I have a lot of the high end cranks) - probably just as many.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 12:41 PM   #6
USMCbassman

I own a few Lucky Craft cranks and some in between. I bought them on sale at about 4 bucks less than retail. The expensives one look nice, but the price it a major turn off for me. High end cranks are in my budget, again though, the price is just a turn off.

I'm all about the bang for the buck and if I can get 3 for the price of 1 that just seems to be a better deal. However, from the sounds of it I may be losing money by buying 3 instead of just getting the one.

I dunno, guess I'll have to purchas a couple of LC's or something along those lines and give them a shot. The LC's I have are the bevy shad so I guess it's time to get a few of the others and run them.
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 02:56 PM   #7
joedog

Ok I in know way am a crankbait expert.
I wanted to state that before you put much stock in my input.

I would go buy the full line of like Bombers square bills down to the deepest they got. Cali. from what I heard has some deep water but you know where you fish so you can decide max depths but remember that for me, cranks work best banging into crap (rocks, limbs, dock pillings, the guys boat that is infringing on my area), and finally the bottom. So if you like to fish a 15 ft. deep area you want at least a 20 ft diving crank so it'll bang off the bottom..
Now if you find the crank bite is something you enjoy you will also find a favorite running depth. ( will probably vary based on season , weather ect) but you'll find a favorite summer depth.
If you find you really like to fish cranks THEN buy a LC or high buck that swims your favorite depth and compare the lower priced one and the high buck one and you decide if the LC is worth the money, TO YOU. To me lure selection is all about confidence as much as actualality (Ken is that a word? )
I stated I'm not a cranker but I feel that I can keep up with almost anyone fishing lipless cranks. Shallow, deep, rocky, clear bottom, grass, open water ect.
Why cause I ALWAYS have at least one setup rigged lipless. Why, CONFIDENCE!

Here's what I'm up to. I have literally about 40 lipless cranks. Varying brands and wieghts. I DEFINITLY have my favorite brands but it is based on MY success rate or better put CONFIDENCE in.
I'll use a Redeye for yo-yoing but rarely for any other technique (they have the best 'flutter fall'). I fish Rattlin Rapalas in shallow presentations, why, CONFIDENCE.
I recently got some custum paint job ones just the other day. Cost $15 a piece...still a great buy in my eyes, why, CONFIDENCE in lipless and all the different ways they can be fished. They are FLAT OUT BEAUTIFUL! Thanks Donnie! Now I picked Bomber cause of all the crankers I know, no matter how many high buck ones they have they will still throw a Bomber when they feel it's right and they cover top to bottom in swim depths and Strike King KVD series does too.
If you have a different brand for different depths you'll never be sure if your success is due to Brand or swimming depth.

Lastly you can probably cover top to bottom in the Bomber line up for a total out of pocket price of $30, one and a half lures in the LC line up. Especially if you sale watch. Probably do the same with Strike King but thier alittle more proud of thier name, so maybe not. I picked up bombers for as little as $2.99,
http://www.lurenet.com/lures/crankbaits

Hope some of this makes sense to you.
Oh and sometimes you can buy kits that run multiple depths.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.