Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-12, 08:32 PM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default I deem today Senko Saturday....

Spent from 5:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on the water today. 5:30 to 8 was fishing from the shore (waiting on the office to open to rent a boat). I started out by chugging a frog along lily pads and toolies. I had a bass roll my frog and swim off. Put the frog up and started throwing a SK KVD gizzard shad (no love) so I started pitching a watermelon senko in the same area and nothing. Walked some more of the shore and nothing....I thought, "crap I'm just wasting my time again might as well go home!" By this time it was pushing 8 so I told myself I'll hold out, get on a boat for a bit and give it shot on the back side of the lake that is not accessible from the shore.

Got my boat paid for, grabbed my gear and headed for the dock. Make it down the dock, step in the boat and feel a tug on my leg. Looked down and had a split/drop shot hook buried deep in my leg (deep as in past the barb), but not to deep under the skin. So I clipped the line and cut sinker off, grab the hook and try to push it through. No joy, so with the hospital literally less than 1/2 mile away I make the journey over there and they get it to pop through. The dock holds my boat and I make my return.

So I get to the back side of the lake throw my frog....nothing! Work him a little more and nothing. Go back to my crank bait, work it and nothing! So I start pitching a weightless, t-rigged 5 in. watermelon Senko...fish on! Make a few more pitches...boom got me another! Start working my way further along the toolies, got another! The t-rig bite dried up so I reset my drop shot rig and wacky rigged a 4 in green pumpkin senko. Drop into a "cut out" in the toolies, it hits bottom...bounce, bounce....boom fish on!

Overall a good day on what I consider a completely frustrating lake that I always feel like I'm wasting my time on though it seemed to pay off today. No pics of the fish, they were all nothing to brag about, but a blast to catch.

Here is a pic of the hook though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leg Hook.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	502.2 KB
ID:	8068  
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 08:56 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Glad you enjoyed your Senko day. In this day and age it's amazing that you could go to the hospital and still get back in time to fish. Glad that it wasn't worse. (I've been to the ER three times with hooks in me).

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 09:56 PM   #3
bassinbob

Glad it turned out to be a good day. I know in the military they give Purple Hearts for injuries. I think all us fishermen that have had a hook in us be given a "Purple Senko". No disrespect to our servicemen intended.
Old 07-14-12, 10:07 PM   #4
joedog

USM glad your day got better and once again my hats off to you, man perseverence.
I've made a trip or two to urgent care once with the whole Rattlin rapala still hanging out of my hand. Doc asks me how importantant the lure was to me, told him I wanted it back seeing it was the second trip with the same lure. It now rests safly in a plastic case on my TV. Oh the Doc removed it just like the pros do, wire around hook and wham pull and hook out. Unlike you though I couldn't watch him do it.
Again your stay with the plan attitude really impresses me.
Thanks for the share.

Last edited by joedog; 07-14-12 at 10:40 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 10:30 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd say you definatly earned those fish at the end of the day. You know what they say, "no pain, no gain". lol
Old 07-14-12, 11:25 PM   #6
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Glad it turned out to be a good day. I know in the military they give Purple Hearts for injuries. I think all us fishermen that have had a hook in us be given a "Purple Senko". No disrespect to our servicemen intended.
I have some purple senkos too

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
USM glad your day got better and once again my hats off to you, man perseverence.
I've made a trip or two to urgent care once with the whole Rattlin rapala still hanging out of my hand. Doc asks me how importantant the lure was to me, told him I wanted it back seeing it was the second trip with the same lure. It now rests safly in a plastic case on my TV. Oh the Doc removed it just like the pros do, wire around hook and wham pull and hook out. Unlike you though I couldn't watch him do it.
Again your stay with the plan attitude really impresses me.
Thanks for the share.
Yeah after two times with the same lure I would have retired it was well! LOL, the docs were searching for some wire cutters and I told them I had a pair in my tackle bag. He asked me if I could go out to my truck and get them. Once I got back I started to hand them to him and he said, "no that's ok I'll let you cut the barb off!" It took two of them to get it to pop through. One holding the skin down and the other with two pair of forceps as "handles" on the shank. One doctor did compliment me on my attempt to push it through on my own and said I did good work...LOL! I just wasn't done fishing and didn't want to go to the ER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'd say you definatly earned those fish at the end of the day. You know what they say, "no pain, no gain". lol
LOL...Thanks! Oddly enough it didn't hurt. The only reason I went in is because I wasn't sure if I was in muscle or if something vital was near by. After multiple attempts of trying to push it through and it not "sliding" out as easy as it slid in I figured I'd better leave it up to the pros.

Edit: Sorry Marty didn't to mean to leave you out....Thanks and I am as well. You can see in the picture my ankle is swollen from where I broke it back in March my left leg didn't need anymore trauma!
Old 07-15-12, 12:50 AM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ouch! I can't wait till I get hook, I really wanna try that hook removal technique. lol

Good to see ya caught some fish though, caught 17 smallmouth on a 4" senko on Firday, so it was my senko... Friday? lol
Old 07-16-12, 09:55 AM   #8
Deverez
BassFishin.Com Member

I was shore fishing this yesterday morning from about 5:30-11am. I caught 10 largemouth on senkos weightless t-rigged(first 5 on watermelon/pearl laminate, last 5 of watermelon/red flake). By my 10th fish, I decided to try to gain confidence in a Gander Mountain stick worm I bought from the clearance rack. It is a peculiar color... green pumpkin core. In essence, it is a green pumpkin worm with a clear coating. Very strange.

It was about 9:30 when I started throwing the Gander Mountain stick worm. Got a good bite, but the fish fell off right in front of me. Didn't get another bite after that. But it could be that the fishing slowed down at the time (as it usually does at 9:00 or so), or that I fished the spot too much (I'd been there for 4 hours).

Caught 2 more on wacky rigged watermelon/red senkos at another spot before calling it a day!
Deverez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-12, 02:08 PM   #9
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deverez View Post
I was shore fishing this yesterday morning from about 5:30-11am. I caught 10 largemouth on senkos weightless t-rigged(first 5 on watermelon/pearl laminate, last 5 of watermelon/red flake). By my 10th fish, I decided to try to gain confidence in a Gander Mountain stick worm I bought from the clearance rack. It is a peculiar color... green pumpkin core. In essence, it is a green pumpkin worm with a clear coating. Very strange.

It was about 9:30 when I started throwing the Gander Mountain stick worm. Got a good bite, but the fish fell off right in front of me. Didn't get another bite after that. But it could be that the fishing slowed down at the time (as it usually does at 9:00 or so), or that I fished the spot too much (I'd been there for 4 hours).

Caught 2 more on wacky rigged watermelon/red senkos at another spot before calling it a day!
Sounds like some good fishing. I love weightless T-rigged Senko fishing, well hell I love fishing period.

I miss Kansas bass fishing, I had a whole slew of ponds I had permission to fish on and some I didn't, none the less they were all great producers and just fun to fish. There are some big bass out here in SoCal, but the bite is frustrating and most of the fish just don't seem to bash on the lure like the ones back that way did. I think the bass are metro-sexuals out here...LOL! I've yet had one to give me a helluva fight. I'm hoping to get home next spring and get in on some pre-spawn action or down to my grandparents place on Grand Lake and get into some fish there. Unlikely to happen unless the wife will let me go by myself....she won't have any vacation time by then.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.