Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-09, 10:12 PM   #1
REDOER
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1982 Hydra Sport Project Advice

Well, first timer here, with a question or two...

I picked up an early 80's Hydra Sport x260 with a 115 Merc and trailer for a project. I found, once I cleaned the deck, bad fiberglass and deck wood in an area about a half foot square, with a 2 inch square hole in the deck about center of the boat, 1 or 2 feet behind the front pedestal deck. I can see the foam under the deck. What is the preferred, then easy, fix? I have heard of folks fiberglassing a new deck of plywood over the old. If I get 5 years out of the boat, I'm good...it has been sitting a while, was running when parked. The trim motor worked fine when I put power to it, the powerhead is not seized, and compression seems good. I know a carb cleaning is in the works, along with a new fuel take, and steering rack. Have not cranked it yet, sprayed PB Blaster in the spark plug holes and am waiting....What did I pay?, let's just say.... It's all about the deal...
REDOER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 10:46 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Personally, I would never cover up old, rotted wood with more wood. I would remove it and replace it properly. I know the tendency is to think of it as a beater, but you should consider the structural integrity of the thing. You don't want it falling apart on you halfway out on a lake.
Old 07-08-09, 06:00 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree 100% with engineer. You gotta take a beter look man. You can cut out the old and replace for about the same money as just "bandaiding it" Also while taking a look better take a REAL GOOD LOOK at the stringers.....usally a whole in the deck of a sitting boat means rotten stringers and/or transom. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but would rather you see the whole thing than not and end up getting hurt.
Old 07-08-09, 09:10 PM   #4
REDOER
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks, guys. I was able to look at the transom, and it seems solid, no cracks/stains that would indicate issues. The gelcoat is in great shape, not even any scrapes from beaching the hull. The hole was not a hole until I started scraping up nasty carpet. I had a friend that does wood floor renovations for a living look at it and pronounce the wood and deck, other than the hole, solid. I will probably cut an 18"x24" section out and see what I have this weekend. Now for terminology, stringers are the shaped/curved ribs across the beam of the boat, correct?
Old 07-09-09, 06:18 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Stringers run the length of the boat adding structural strength to the hull. After getting that square cut out of the floor you should be able to inspect them. If they are compromised they need to be repaired......bad stringers = cracked hull sooner or later.
Old 07-09-09, 06:30 AM   #6
REDOER
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks!

Will let you know...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.