Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-12, 01:34 AM   #1
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Toyota Tundra

Anyone drive one (2010 or newer)? What's your thoughts on it?

In 08 I bought a F-150 XLT brand new and I loved it; however, something inside told me it was time to get rid of it and no sooner did I sell it my wife lost her job.

Being down to a motorcycle only, I jumped the gun and bought a 72 Int. Scout II. I love my Scout, it is all original with the exception of the intake, carb, air filter and front seats. Paint and everything else is still from the factory. A great, great candidate for a restoration (small amounts of cancer in the body, suspension etc need taken care of).

Anyways, the wife got a new job (full time, benefits, etc, etc) and has been on me about getting a new truck. Personally I'd rather buy another Harley (bagger) and keep the Scout. With that said I can't lie and I do miss the creature comforts of my Ford (A/C, Sirius, comfortable ride, etc).

I've always owned Fords with the exception of the 2 Dodge mistakes I made (no offense to you Dodge fans just never had luck with them). So I've considered buying another [newly] used F-250 or possibly F-150; however, I really like the looks of the new Tundra Rock Warriors. I've never driven a Toyota Truck or know anything about them.

The obvious answer would be stick with what you know and trust. I don't mind jumping out on a limb, but when we're talking 35-40K dollars that could become a costly mistake. So I just wanted to know what if someone else has driven these trucks and what your thought or opinion was on them. One day it will be pulling a bass boat
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 04:38 AM   #2
Dogmatic

It's a Toyota!
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 08:06 AM   #3
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
It's a Toyota!
And?
Old 08-05-12, 08:30 AM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hahahaha!!! either dog means it's an import or it's a great truck.

now MY opion here ok?

oyu have the scout and oyu love it....right? it's paid for right? ok then, KEEP THE SCOUT. nomatter what oyu will have a 3rd auto if something happens to one of the others. nothing like being with only 1 vehicle (excluding the cycle) while the other is in the shop or oyu have to sell it.

now IF it were me i would buy another USED vehicle. pay it off if at all possible. with THIS economy...you never know what the world is gonna be like in 2 yrs...heck 6 months for that matter.

i am a chevy truck man myself. my truck is OLD by todays standards, 1997. BUT it runs good, looks decent and it is PAID FOR.

now saying all that. after oyu get the USED truck (fairly new or rebuilt), pay it off and all that. RESTORE THE SCOUT!! frame off the thing man. upgrade it too. according to oyur finances that is. don't go overboard on the restoration. think aobut what oyu ACTUALLY do in the thing. then upgrade it accordingly.

another one of my loves is OLD autos. cars,trucks and such. if i won the lottery...my house would look like an antique car showcase, hahaha!

so that is my opion. do what you want to do. but think aobut the future. as for how does the tundra do? i dunno. personally i think it is ugly, but to me all of todays trucks are ugly looking. no matter what brand plate is on the hood.
Old 08-05-12, 08:43 AM   #5
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Talk to Kory---C-Rig. He bought a Ford Ecoboost last year. I think he is really impressed with it.
Old 08-05-12, 10:10 AM   #6
bassboogieman

A truck is going to burn a lot of fuel and at CA prices? I'd just convert the Harley to a trike, add a towing packing and be happy.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 11:41 AM   #7
bassinbob

Keep the Scout and buy a bass boat.
Old 08-05-12, 03:42 PM   #8
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Buy a ford.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-12, 09:52 PM   #9
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hahahaha!!! either dog means it's an import or it's a great truck.
That's why I posted that reply; I wasn't sure what he was saying. I hope he doesn't think I was being a prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Talk to Kory---C-Rig. He bought a Ford Ecoboost last year. I think he is really impressed with it.
I've read mixed reviews on the Ecoboost, a buddy of mine has one, but doesn't have enough miles on it to really give me a honest opinion on it. Says he likes the power the V6 produces and gets decent gas mileage. I think if I bought another Ford I'd go for a diesel, properly tuned they can get really good gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
A truck is going to burn a lot of fuel and at CA prices? I'd just convert the Harley to a trike, add a towing packing and be happy.
LOL...not a chance in hell I would or could do that to my bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Keep the Scout and buy a bass boat.
I've considered that; however, the Scout needs some work IOT tow. I towed a 3-400lb towable grill for a unit function and going uphill the Scout just dogged out on me. It has the 345 in it with a 4bbl carb. I think it needs to be regeared (would rather just throw 1 ton axles under it) and the motor probably needs a good rebuild and this might be feasible, I like where you're going with that though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1804 View Post
Buy a ford.
A Ford is still in the running and above the Toyota, if I could be convinced though I might run with a Yota. All my brother has driven and will drive are Tacoma's. He swears by them...
Old 08-05-12, 10:00 PM   #10
bamabassman

marine....have oyu thought about getting another USED truck? like i was saying. if oyu do that, have it paid off. then oyu will have the money to OVERHAUL the scout. ANDDDDDD possibly get a USED boat. kill 3 birds? then oyu will have most toys a man always wants; off road toy, water toy, daily driver and cruiser.

DANG...WISH I WAS IN OYUR SHOES....HAHAHAHA!!!
Old 08-05-12, 11:38 PM   #11
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
marine....have oyu thought about getting another USED truck? like i was saying. if oyu do that, have it paid off. then oyu will have the money to OVERHAUL the scout. ANDDDDDD possibly get a USED boat. kill 3 birds? then oyu will have most toys a man always wants; off road toy, water toy, daily driver and cruiser.

DANG...WISH I WAS IN OYUR SHOES....HAHAHAHA!!!
I will most definitely buy used. Shortly after I bought my last F-150 I was scouring the internet getting some ideas (lift, exhaust, etc) and came across many that were for sale within a year or two of mine (with less miles than mine (I was driving from South MS to NW AR on a very regular basis)) for thousands cheaper than what I paid for mine. So I learned my lesson in buying new.

Don't wish that bama; I volunteered for a 12 month deployment to Iraq just to be able to save the money to buy my Harley. 4 months later I was sent away again (separated from my family again) for another year, which I capitalized on, and afforded me the opportunity to buy my Ford. Which I no longer own, granted I made some money off of it, but I definitely can't get that lost time back...you know what I mean? The Iraq tour I volunteered for, I got that, it was something I wanted to do as well. It was my turn. Regardless, it was hell. My son was 2 1/2 when I went to Iraq, by the time I actually lived with my family (full time, under the same roof and neither one of us actually had a different mailing address) he had just turned 7. As you know money can't buy happiness and toys are expensive. It will be a good while before I get a boat. If I buy another truck I will sell the Scout. I don't get attached to anything, I can't take it with me when my time expires. I hope you can see what I'm trying to get at
Old 08-06-12, 08:19 PM   #12
bamabassman

totatly understand what oyu are saying marine.
Old 08-06-12, 09:15 PM   #13
Vegasspider

Default Oceanside

Are you still located in Oceanside? If so I would like to open up some dialog and perhaps meet you in person. I have been known to be a giver and you my friend is why we can do what we do and that is one hell of a commitment you made to our country. Thank you!

PS - I live in Vegas and FL. Vegas full time and get to CA often for business. I just happen to be on my way to Florida today if they can a flight out. (I have been at the airport since 10:00 this morning and it has been one thing after another with these guys) But anyhow I truly would like to meet you, in the meantime we can have some open dialog between now and then. Just PM me if you like and I will give my personal contact information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCbassman View Post
I will most definitely buy used. Shortly after I bought my last F-150 I was scouring the internet getting some ideas (lift, exhaust, etc) and came across many that were for sale within a year or two of mine (with less miles than mine (I was driving from South MS to NW AR on a very regular basis)) for thousands cheaper than what I paid for mine. So I learned my lesson in buying new.

Don't wish that bama; I volunteered for a 12 month deployment to Iraq just to be able to save the money to buy my Harley. 4 months later I was sent away again (separated from my family again) for another year, which I capitalized on, and afforded me the opportunity to buy my Ford. Which I no longer own, granted I made some money off of it, but I definitely can't get that lost time back...you know what I mean? The Iraq tour I volunteered for, I got that, it was something I wanted to do as well. It was my turn. Regardless, it was hell. My son was 2 1/2 when I went to Iraq, by the time I actually lived with my family (full time, under the same roof and neither one of us actually had a different mailing address) he had just turned 7. As you know money can't buy happiness and toys are expensive. It will be a good while before I get a boat. If I buy another truck I will sell the Scout. I don't get attached to anything, I can't take it with me when my time expires. I hope you can see what I'm trying to get at
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-12, 10:11 PM   #14
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

USMC, I have been a mechanic for 20 plus years and in the last 10 years my experience has been that Ford and Toyota are the most trouble free truck on the market. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one. Now for my personal feelings, I know my Ford has a lot of foreign parts on it but I won't give my money to an overseas company if I have other quality choices. Good luck with your decision.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 04:19 PM   #15
Dogmatic

To clear up my response..."It's a Toyota!" refers to the fact that Toyotas are great products. I have owned three, and have never had any problems with them, all with over 145K miles on them at least(at least, as is my current Tacoma has 146K on it, the others had much more, with the '84 Tercel 4wd wagon topping out with 285K!). I don't think you can go wrong. But...they tend to be over-priced in the used market, especially compared with what would be my next choice, Ford, which I think is the best value, when it comes to used trucks. Hope that clears things up.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-12, 09:30 PM   #16
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
To clear up my response..."It's a Toyota!" refers to the fact that Toyotas are great products. I have owned three, and have never had any problems with them, all with over 145K miles on them at least(at least, as is my current Tacoma has 146K on it, the others had much more, with the '84 Tercel 4wd wagon topping out with 285K!). I don't think you can go wrong. But...they tend to be over-priced in the used market, especially compared with what would be my next choice, Ford, which I think is the best value, when it comes to used trucks. Hope that clears things up.
LOL, it does....I wasn't trying to be a prick with my initial response, I was confused!

@skeeter- That is why I've always purchased Fords, I definitely felt like I was getting more for my money. I owned (2) Dodges and had nothing but problems with them. I recently bought my wife a Mazda CX-9 and I am thoroughly impressed with it. I really like the Tundra Rock Warrior, but jump on a F-150/250 in a heart beat as well. I'm in no rush to take on another car payment so I will continually search for the 3 until I've found what I feel is right on whatever one I come across first.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.