Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-07, 11:51 PM   #1
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default pond problems

hey guys I have a small pond right near my house up here in oregon and it is a strange little place! Not a ton of big fish come out of it but usually it is consistent with dinks at least. Anyways, I can not get a bite! A war front just moved in and I pounded the lake; tried everything. Lipless crankbaits, shakey worms, spinnerbaits, senkos...the list goes on! These fish will not bite. I have been fishing about 1-4 ft. of water the whole time...mostly little protected channels that have tiny bits of current flowing through. Water is murky. How would you approach this lake during march?
thanks...

Jig n' pig is next
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 12:03 AM   #2
WIUbassin

Any idea about what the water temp might be?
WIUbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 12:04 AM   #3
hackattack

around the low 40's
Old 03-07-07, 12:43 AM   #4
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackattack View Post
I can not get a bite! A war front just moved in and I pounded the lake; tried everything. How would you approach this lake during march?
thanks...

Jig n' pig is next
A WAR front? WTH did you expect, what with all that shooting, rockets' red glare, bombs bursting in air, PLUS all that marching. Fish don't bite under those conditions. But, if I HAD to approach the lake during marching, I'd prob'ly goose-step..."Ein, Zwei, Drei..."
Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbJVlaynAJw

Watch the danged thing! After the goose-stepping there are BABES on the field. Hmmmmmmmm...Chilean Army Band...in Scotland...playing an Austrian march on entry...hula girls...good times! At least now you know where all of Hitler's Army Band Directors fled after the war. Well, some wound up in Argentina too.

F. Rod
Hauptmann, PanzerKorps
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 12:59 AM   #5
hackattack

now I know my plan of attack
Old 03-07-07, 01:05 AM   #6
FlyRod

Quote:
now I know my plan of attack
I thought you just might like it.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 01:14 AM   #7
hackattack

get the hula skirts...were goin fishing!!!
Old 03-07-07, 01:29 AM   #8
vagabond

Where at in Oregon? I'm in Southern Oregon and haven't been out yet this year. The water has to get quite a bit warmer before I plan to have a good day of catching.

If I was to go out, I'd fish plastic as slow as I could. I'm talking beyond boring slow. Then I'd be happy if I hooked up once or twice in a day.

Hopefully someone that knows a lot more than me (anyone) can give you some better advise.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 03:19 AM   #9
WIUbassin

I personally never really have luck in water temps under 55. But when I do have success and, from what I have read from alot of people on here and from experts in magazines. For temps like those you want to throw a suspending jerkbait like a rattling rogue or something like this...

Here is a really great article from bass pro about suspending jerkbaits should answer any other questions you have.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...ctType=article
Good Luck
WIUbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 01:16 PM   #10
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

I know that in my ponds if I know where the bass are I will throw a drop shot , which may not be great because of the murky water but if they're gonna bite it's gotta be right in front of their face and no better bait to do it than a drop shot. Fish some brighter baits on it and dont try to do too much with it. Its what I've got most of my cold fish on. Plus a jignpig dragged SLOW might help too.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 07:45 PM   #11
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Does it have any cover, and if so what type of cover? You said it had current from what? This is a pond, so is it like a bowl or is the some bottom structure around, and how deep is it max depth, and whats the average depth? What size is this pond, need a little more info to give any specifics, but for starters, SLOW WAY, WAY, WAY DOWN.

Lizards
Old 03-07-07, 07:54 PM   #12
rrw4258

one word... SHAKEYHEAD WORM, i fish a similar pond, and that has become my go to bait at most places now... i fish them with a 1/8 head, 6'6 M Action Rod with 6 lb. test...

Ryan
Old 03-07-07, 10:58 PM   #13
hackattack

ryan, are you my neighbor? I fished the heck out of this pond with the shakey worm. Max depth maaaaybe five or six feet but unreachable. Fishing 1-3 ft of water. Near portland oregon. Theres a sweet little creek coming in at the mouth that gets the current going. Last fall I slayed them where the banks push to within five feet of each other, creating a little channel. baitfish would chill there and we think there is a hump there. I try a lot of baits in the slack water where there is some good trees. We planted some SWEET flippin cover in there for later when it warms up, but other than that there is not much. CUTBANKS (where the water goes under the bank) are awesome in summer and fall, and they go back pretty far. Any questions?
Old 03-07-07, 10:59 PM   #14
hackattack

try going to google earth, zip code 97223. called summer lake park. You guys should be able to find it...
Old 03-11-07, 11:12 PM   #15
Super Fluke

I'm from oregon also, try drop shotting.
Old 03-12-07, 07:48 PM   #16
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
ryan, are you my neighbor? I fished the heck out of this pond with the shakey worm. Max depth maaaaybe five or six feet but unreachable. Fishing 1-3 ft of water. Near portland oregon. Theres a sweet little creek coming in at the mouth that gets the current going. Last fall I slayed them where the banks push to within five feet of each other, creating a little channel. baitfish would chill there and we think there is a hump there. I try a lot of baits in the slack water where there is some good trees. We planted some SWEET flippin cover in there for later when it warms up, but other than that there is not much. CUTBANKS (where the water goes under the bank) are awesome in summer and fall, and they go back pretty far. Any questions?
That is shallow. You obviously already found one of the best places in the funnel if you will where the current comes through. I would also try the mouth of the creek where the current is more prelavant. Try to throw up the creek, and bring your bait towards and into the lake. The bass many times will just be waiting on the eddy's as fish/food/worms/etc... are carried by the current into the lake. So try to fish your baits with the current. And lets just say a weightless lizard and or fluke would be my choice.

Lizards
Old 03-12-07, 08:41 PM   #17
hackattack

yeah there is a nice little hump at the mouth I think. at least i get snagged every once in a while. Illl try that.
btw, still havent caught anything
Old 03-16-07, 11:27 PM   #18
Super Fluke

What is the temp
Old 03-17-07, 01:10 AM   #19
hackattack

high 40s probably

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.