Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-09, 05:46 PM   #1
ky southern

Default favorite rain gear

gettin set to buy a set,bibs and a coat.i really like the bass pro hpr but man that stuff is high priced.im having a hard time lettin go 300 on rain gear.
Old 01-18-09, 06:05 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have about given up on good rainsuits, everytime i wear bibs and then rainsuit over it, I end up spliting out the crotch area from stepping up to the deck and back to the back over the course of the day. I got plenty of good rainjackets, I just end up buying the cheapie sets for the pants. Plus I dont wear them as much because now I pick and choose the day, whereas before If you have a scheduled tournament you have to show up rain or shine.
Dont forget rubber boots too if you have to stay out in it. I was at white oak in a big tourney where it rained for two days in a row, one fish got me 26th in a field of 190..joe thomas was there and got 3rd, coming off a win on the missippi federation classic..this was back in 1995
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 06:07 PM   #3
Kevin
Administrator

In regards to foul weather gear, I haven't found anything to be better than Cabela's Guidewear. I have the insulated Parka and Bibs... which are top notch. I recently wrote a blog all about my Cabela's Guidewear, so check it out.

Also, Guidewear is featured in Maximum Exposure here.

I have some friends that swear by the Guidwear jacket as well, for use in the summer. This is really the foul weather gear to have.
Old 01-18-09, 06:08 PM   #4
zooker

frogg toggs

zooker
Old 01-18-09, 06:16 PM   #5
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
In regards to foul weather gear, I haven't found anything to be better than Cabela's Guidewear. I have the insulated Parka and Bibs... which are top notch. I recently wrote a blog all about my Cabela's Guidewear, so check it out.

Also, Guidewear is featured in Maximum Exposure here.

I have some friends that swear by the Guidwear jacket as well, for use in the summer. This is really the foul weather gear to have.

must resist photoshoping into the mad md flasher....
must resist.............rofl
Old 01-18-09, 06:24 PM   #6
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have two sets. One is the BPS Pro Qualifer, had the pants all year and then just picked up the jacket this Christmas. The other set is made by Sun Mountain. It's a golfing rainsuit so it is easy to swing a club and cast. Works great on the the warmer days.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 06:25 PM   #7
zooker

lmao @ jb...

zooker
Old 01-18-09, 06:51 PM   #8
quenston
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Frog Togs it is for me they seem to hold up better then some of the higher priced ones I have had. It seems no matter what the pants never fit right and I will rip the crochout within the first 4-5 outings
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 07:00 PM   #9
bamabassman

i agree kevin, that is as good as it gets for winter time. but how about summer time buddy? got anything for that time of year?

oh....and jb...... PLEASE DO IT!!! kevin is just DIEING for it buddy, ROTLMFAO!!!!!!!!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 07:10 PM   #10
JB

umm i dont think so!

Old 01-18-09, 07:20 PM   #11
keithdog

I also use Cabelas Guidewear rain wear and love it.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 07:36 PM   #12
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

As keithdog and Kevin, I, too, wear the Cabela's Guidewear. Although expensive, this stuff is top notch when it comes to wetness protection and resisitance to mud, water, snow, etc.

I've worn this fishing in three straight hours of rain in late August to a four-wheeling trip in the Talkeetna Mountain range in Alaska, and this suit withstood all conditions.

This suit is totally adjustable and will keep you dry if you wear it. In the sleeves, between your wrist and elbow, there is a section of tight neoprene that "hugs" your forearm and allows water to go only so far, rather than dripping right up to your armpit when casting, or cheering from catching that fish of a lifetime.

On the four-wheeler trip, it sleeted, rained, and was foggy nearly the whole day. This was on top of going through the 18" deep mud puddles that sprayed you as you went through. By the end of the day, I thought how dumb it was of me to spend $199.99 + tax just to ruin the coat a month later. But, boy was I wrong! I threw that coat in my suitcase, took the eight hour trip back home, washed her up, and she looked as good as when I first got her.

If you're afraid to spend the $400 or $500 on a good rainsuit, have fun fishing wet, because in my opinion, that money is money well spent.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 07:37 PM   #13
pig_n_jig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
but how about summer time buddy? got anything for that time of year?
Bama Buddy ,here ya go.
They aren't waterproof but when theys all you got on, your not needing raingear.Roflmao

http://cgi.ebay.com/H&M-Men-Boxers-B...25113003r33322
Old 01-18-09, 07:41 PM   #14
JB

buzz as soon as I saw kevin in that rainsuit i thought ya had posted a picture of ya in the same one
Old 01-18-09, 07:45 PM   #15
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Guys,

Not sure if this is classified or not, but....

Is that Kevin in the Guidewear?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 07:50 PM   #16
JB

yes it is

if you click on the top banner that has bassfishin.com
it opens a new section kevin has with many videos of him instructing various fishing topics
Old 01-18-09, 08:03 PM   #17
bamabassman

piggie, mine has superman on em,lol. get it? stronger thatn steel,lmao. but i am serious about what raingear would be good for this area, not in aug mind ya. but like something a little lighter thatn the one he has posted. i use a poncho in summer. i am wanting a GOOD, QUALITY. semi cool weather rainsuit. any ideas?
Old 01-18-09, 08:55 PM   #18
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

For spring,summer, & fall I prefer non-lined rain gear. I've had the same 2pc Columbia rain gear for 5 years now. No problems, no tears, and no leaks. the Jacket offers plenty of room, and the pants are just that, not a bib. Large enough to accommodate wearing jeans or shorts. Easy to put on and take off over boots.
Old 01-18-09, 08:58 PM   #19
rrw4258

Sorry... not trying to highjack the thread, but was wondering your thoughts on these...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...T&cmid=PP_P0_2
Thanks

Ryan
Old 01-18-09, 09:42 PM   #20
Kevin
Administrator

I used to wear Frogg Toggsesque 3m rainsuit, but had way too many issues with hooks getting caught in the fabric. It is some porous and fibrous stuff! I seemed to always get trebles stuck in them and once you do, good luck getting them out!

I can remember one morning where I held up a caravan of tournament boats at the ramp after getting my sleeve caught in a mess of jerkbait rods. Unless you rip the rainwear, you have to spend 5-10 minutes getting the hooks out without damaging the suit.

I definitely recommend anglers to get the VERY refined Guidewear system.
Old 01-18-09, 10:13 PM   #21
bamabassman

so kevin you are saying get the same suit, but without the heavy weight? please explain more for me.
Old 01-18-09, 10:17 PM   #22
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've been wanting to get a set of frogg toggs, but heard that they tear quite easily. I have a set of camo bibs w/ coat for colder weather and ice fishing, but I've got nothing for warmer weather.I can remember a couple times this year where some rain gear could have come in handy. (I'm sure you remember, Buzzy)

BB
Old 01-18-09, 11:24 PM   #23
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
so kevin you are saying get the same suit, but without the heavy weight? please explain more for me.
Cabela's Guidewear is a foul-weather system. They have insulated and non-insulated items. As for the upper-body, you can get the Guidewear Parka (which is what you see me wearing above), or the Guidewear Jacket, which is a thinner and lighter-weight... best suited for warm weather.

Ideally, you'd want the insulated parka/bibs for cold weather, and the uninsulated jacket/bibs for warm weather.
Old 01-19-09, 12:01 AM   #24
flfireman

I have a set for the motorcycle and a set for the boat. Frogg Toggs were the best investment I made for Fl weather. I can wear them in spring and summer and not die from dehydration. My shoe of choice when fishing- sandals or flip flops.
Old 01-19-09, 12:03 AM   #25
bamabassman

thanks kevin.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.