Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-10, 02:22 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Surface bait season

Just curious as to what others think of as the start of the surface lure bite? Around here, I start throwing surface lures once the spawn has begun. Thats late May through mid June around here, give or take a week or so. But I do have a very good catch rate right after ice out by jerkin a floating Rattlin Rouge on the surface. I know most folks throw a suspending jerk bait in early spring, and I do as well. But the floating jerkbaits will catch bass then too!

Secondly, do you have different choices of surface baits you use depending on the season and weather conditions? Calm water compared to choppy weather? Before sun up, while it's still dark, I mainly use a Jitterbug. After the sun starts to brighten the water, I'll switch to a spook bait if there is wind and some wave action. If it's still fairly calm, I'll choose a surface bait that is more subtle, like Heddon Baby Torpedo, floating jerbaits, or a popper. And of course, frog baits around floating vegitation. Durring the heat of summer, I'll usually only use surface baits very early in the morning, or after sun down. I'll also work a surface bait in summer in dense shade. Fall fishing with surface baits is a funny time of year for me, as there are other presentations I prefer to use in the fall rather than surface baits. But they will still work, depending on how far into the fall you get before ice up. One thing I do in the fall when I use surface baits is to stick to the larger baits which I think more closely mimic the size of the prey the bass are chasing late in the year. When fall hits and water temps start dropping daily, the bass IMO will start looking for larger meals to fatten up. Also, the small fry have had months to grow and mature. Thus choosing a larger profile surface bait to "match the hatch".
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.