Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-10, 10:04 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default World's Laziest Engineer Finally Posts SI Shots

Okay, gang. They're not much, but you can see some really cool stuff in these.

Sunken Roadbed:

Humps and Bumps:

Baitball and Predators:

Old River Channel:

As I get better at this, I will post more interesting images. However, I think you can see the potential for locating "hidden" structure and cover at the very least.
Old 08-18-10, 10:09 PM   #2
bamabassman

ok, REAL novice here. do i have to look at em sideways?i can't tell aobut these new ones bryce.
Old 08-18-10, 11:22 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice, clear pictures!
bama, On the first one he has a split screen so the box on the left is down imagining looking under the boat. The box to the right is the side imaging. The line down center of that box is the center of the boat. The left section is the left side of the boat and the right is the right side. Depending on the chart speed vs. the 2.5MPH boat speed you can figure out how much distance is shown on the bottom of the lake. I would guess 100 feet of the lake bottom.?

In the last photo I highlighted the general area that is showing up on the Side Imaging screen:
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 06:41 AM   #4
bassboogieman

I HATE YOU BRYCE! I've been looking, but can't bring myself to spend THAT MUCH $$$ on a sonar, but that really is impressive. What is really holding me back is that I'm not much of a deep water, structure type fisherman. So the advantages of the side scan may not be that much for me. I'd like your impressions of shallow water applications, like looking "under" docks or other shore line structure. I also don't do tournaments any more, and again as a "recreational" fisherman do I NEED it (I know I want it)? Also, on your unit - can you view all 3 options at the same time? I like the split with the side scan and the 2D sonar - you can see the fish arches while viewing the bottom with the side scan, can you also window the GPS with the other two? I've got to stop asking questions or I'll be at BPS running my credit card again.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-10, 09:35 AM   #5
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Those are really good images, nofear! Looks like you have all the settings just about perfect and are going just the right speed. Have you pulled any fish off those spots?
Old 08-19-10, 09:59 AM   #6
nofearengineer

Bender, thanks for trying to explain the images to Bama. This type of image definitely takes some getting used to. I will add a little explanation.

Bama...try to imagine that your eyes got moved to where your ears are. Now as you swim through the water, your left eye sees straight out to the left, and the right eye sees straight out to the right. you have to sort of forget about seeing ahead. As the boat moves through the water, it "stacks up" horizontal slices of the water to form the side-imaging pictures. That is why you have to be going a constant, slow speed (2-4 mph seems to work best for me). To confuse matters, you can adjust the scroll speed of the screen. What this does it "stretch" or "compress" the image only; it doesn't change what the transducer sees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I HATE YOU BRYCE! I've been looking, but can't bring myself to spend THAT MUCH $$$ on a sonar, but that really is impressive. What is really holding me back is that I'm not much of a deep water, structure type fisherman. So the advantages of the side scan may not be that much for me. I'd like your impressions of shallow water applications, like looking "under" docks or other shore line structure. I also don't do tournaments any more, and again as a "recreational" fisherman do I NEED it (I know I want it)? Also, on your unit - can you view all 3 options at the same time? I like the split with the side scan and the 2D sonar - you can see the fish arches while viewing the bottom with the side scan, can you also window the GPS with the other two? I've got to stop asking questions or I'll be at BPS running my credit card again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnreel View Post
Those are really good images, nofear! Looks like you have all the settings just about perfect and are going just the right speed. Have you pulled any fish off those spots?
Thanks for the compliments, guys. But I must admit...I have tweaked the unit very little. It is almost as it was when it came out of the box. It is set up very well right from the factory.

As for it being "worth it" for a non-pro...that is a personal decision, just like all of your fishing tackle, your nice car, your PITA girlfriend/wife, etc. I will say it is worth it to me. I did not catch any fish of of these particular images. However, at my local pit, I have caught them on ledges I had no chance of finding with my old sonar. I couldn't save snapshots at the time I was fishing those, but I will try to submit pics of those next time. They are amazing, drastically steep ledges in a tame-looking pit. And they definitely hold fish.

As for shallow water...I have "studied" under the tutelage of Doug Vahrenberg. He is pretty much THE Humminbird guy. I believe he is sponsored by them, and he "lectures" on BBC. He has stated he uses his SI to find shallow, bedding bass all the time. It does take some practice and skill, but once you learn the trick (I haven't yet obviously), it will pay off big time. He also uses an SI transducer on his trolling motor to "sweep" an open water area, so he can follow schools of bait fish. I don't have the gear for that yet, but it wouldn't be too hard to rig up. It would just take an extra SI transducer mounted on my trolling motor, and I would have to switch my 1197 up to the bow now and then.

Again, thanks guys. More to come in the near future.
Old 08-19-10, 12:26 PM   #7
3dkicker

Boogie - Yes you can see 3 at one time.....even 4 too if you want. You can even set which of the many screens you want to see. Although on the 798 they are very small screens if you do 3 or more. Downscan black and white, downscan color, GPS, Sidescan, flasher, downscan flasher, and mapping software screens are your choices.... and I may have left one or two out.
The biggest unit would be the best if you wanted to show 3 or more. 2 works well on the 798.

Here's a pic of some baitfish we found on the river with the downscan color graph and the downscan flasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0469.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	5696  
Old 08-19-10, 05:31 PM   #8
bamabassman

OK BRYCE......."TRYING" to understand it. i sorta get it. it would take me a while to FULLY understand it though. thanks man. these new fangled contraptions are confusing, lol.
Old 08-19-10, 05:49 PM   #9
WTL

Bryce, just because I havent been around or spoken to you in 2 weeks, doesnt mean I havent forgotten to hate you. Bastard.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 01:39 PM   #10
66KingFisher

These pics are great....keep'm comin. The guy I fished our local tournament with had one of those SI sonars, and it was amazing to watch as we idled along.....Seeing rockpiles and underwater trees and creek channels I never knew were there....It was very cool....Although I'm with Bama thats its a bit difficult to figure out what your seein at first....I wish we could afford one but they'll have to come down in price before that'll happen...lol
Old 08-20-10, 07:08 PM   #11
rangerryan

Im glad to see that you are spending some time to learn how to use this i owned mine for a year before i decided to spend the time to learn how to use it. It is definately worth the money. I promise you will catch more fish now that you have the SI.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 07:16 PM   #12
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
OK BRYCE......."TRYING" to understand it. i sorta get it. it would take me a while to FULLY understand it though. thanks man. these new fangled contraptions are confusing, lol.
I'm with ya on this one John, hahaha, I'm still trying to learn all the buttons on my new digtial cable reciever for my tv. Those are definately great clear views Bryce. Not exactly sure what I'm looking at there, but I'm sure if I did, I'd be thrilled to have it on my boat.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-10, 09:54 PM   #13
BassBandit

John & Keith...I used to be one of you guys that had to turn my head sideways to figure them out lol...until I saw the video by Doug Vahrenberg it make lot more sense... http://www.youtube.com/user/imonbass#p/u/0/3xe6pLPdMKc
It like your on the road looking out the driver and passenger side windows that's it.
After I viewed the video I bought a SI. No regret.
Btw nice images nofear!
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-10, 11:19 PM   #14
DougV

HEy guys if you need any help...I'll be stopping in to help. Glad I found you...
DougV is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.