Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-07, 02:26 PM   #1
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Night Time Bass'n

Ok guys. Unless I just didn't type it in the search block right, I couldn't find a thread covering night time bass'n.

There is a local tourney here at one of the lakes every week that fishes only at night. I am looking at possibly joining in a couple of these tourneys as the cost is only 40 bucks per boat. Now, I have NEVER had any luck catching bass at night. I don't know if maybe I am doing something wrong, or just not being patient enough. I tried a few nights last summer with no luck whatsoever. I tried jigs, topwaters, plastics, spinnerbaits, crankbaits and even dropshotting with no luck at all.

The tourney times are from 6:00P to 11:00P, so I know they do get a couple good hours of daylight before the nightfall sets in. The lake usually has clear to stained water with level fluctuating from week to week.

What type of suggestions would anybody give to help improve a man's catch during late evening/night time hours?
Old 02-07-07, 02:50 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

think black!

try a black jitterbug for topwater action, or a blackskirted spinnerbait, or a blackworm or jig.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 03:16 PM   #3
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Caught most of my night fish last year on a c-rig, believe it or not! Not had much success with topwater at night, but worms and creatures heck yeah! buy a bunch of rattles to stick in them, it helps the fish find them. Caught a fair amount on a spinnerbait too, use a single blade colorado with a #5 or #6 blade at least in a dark color, and fish it slow. Fish everything slow
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 06:09 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

One word . . . "METHIOLATE"
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 07:51 PM   #5
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Jitterbugs!! Havent gnoe night fishing for a while, but the bass tore up the black jitterbugs.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 08:40 PM   #6
skeeter944

jitterbugs,big jigs,worms,and spinnerbaits all in black. fish sorta slow,and use rattles. try 10'' worms,and like 1ounce spinnerbaits and jigs with 3'' trailers.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 08:44 PM   #7
Fish2win

I fish at night from late may until mid October exclusivly. Bass will hit anything at night they will during the day. Lures that displace a lot of water are often key. Short armed spinnerbaits with big thumpen blades are great. I like red and purple,red and black or purple and black with a matching pork chunk to slow the fall. Red Shad or tequila sunrise power worms are a staple. Pig and jigs, sometimes buzzbaits or jitterbugs. water clarity is a factor and moon light is a factor. If its a real black night look for street lights or stationary spot lights that shine directly into the water, like off a dock or marina. Lots of different patterns at night. Fish2win
Old 02-07-07, 09:24 PM   #8
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
think black!

try a black jitterbug for topwater action, or a blackskirted spinnerbait, or a blackworm or jig.
JB reccomending a "JITTERBUG" .

I have no idea why nothing came up on night fishing we've had lot's of posts about it. A couple of things. First off get a good headband light. If you really want to get into night fishing get some black/flourescent lights and some flourescent line. Man is it cool how it looks like a rope at night, and easier to see light bite/line movement. Plus you can see some things and attracts the skeeters less. Now this next tip is super secret, so keep it to yourself, or I'm gonna have to hunt you down. By a can of FLAT BLACK spray paint, and paint a Black jitterbug completely (hooks and all) black(better make that 3 or 4 of them). This works for Poppers as well as other topwaters. I even painted spinnerbaits like this and have had success. Fish2win nailed it however. "WATER MOVEMENT/DISPLACEMNT". Ribbed worms, big worms, BLACK LIZARDS, anything that moves alot of water, and I prefer dark colors. Now when working that jitterbug back, and you hear the plop, plop, plop, plop, plop, plop, and it gets just about right at the boat, clench your cheeks, because you may get a awesome BOOM that always scares the ch!t outa of ya. I love night fishing if you couldn't tell, except here where we got gators LOL. The best piece of advice I can give you is make sure you know the water "BEFORE" you go night fishing. You should know it like the back of you hand before trying to fish it. It can be dangerous if you don't know where obstacles are. And lastly watch out for the bats buzzing you and your baits rotfl.

Lizards
Old 02-08-07, 09:19 AM   #9
bassbooger

All these are some great advice that I will take to heart.

Lizards, you crack me up man. I will remember to cliinch my cheeks as I get those jitterbugs close to the boat. ROFL
Old 02-09-07, 02:10 PM   #10
perkdog65
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via MSN to perkdog65 Send a message via Yahoo to perkdog65

Black spinner baits with big colorado blades and dark colored big worms with big curly tails. The head light as mentioned before is a very good investment. It's a whole different world out on the lake at night so be safe and watch out for those freaks that are not being safe.
Old 02-09-07, 02:57 PM   #11
Fish2win

Those head lights that yopu are referring to come in a black light LED. very good fro tyeing on and visiablity in the boat and invisible to the fish. I also change my black light bulbs to florence pink bug lights. Thay do the same thing as the black light bulbs with out the bug attractiing. Fish2win
Old 02-09-07, 06:02 PM   #12
revrat
BassFishin.Com Member

Also don't forget to fish the shadows. Even at night bass will hold in shadows. You can use a black light to illuminate flourescent line if you fih a bunch of worms and jigs. It makes it real easy to watch your line. Have a blast, and be safe. Lizards mentioned bats. You may have to learn to tell the difference between a bite on the worm or jig and a bat flying into your line. They feel a lot alike! Takes me several trips every summer to re-learn the difference.
revrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.