Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-10, 03:14 PM   #1
MO3N
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Topographic Maps

Hey I am going to fish a new lake for a tournament and I have read that it is a good idea to study some topographic maps to help find any drops and ledges. But I can not find any topographic maps online. does anyone know of a good place to find these maps? If I can not find a topographic map of the lake bottom is there a way to get a good guess from a standard map? Ill be fishing Twin Lakes in Washington.

Thanks
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 03:39 PM   #2
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Im with ya. I cant find any good topo maps either. The ones I do have are from the 60's and arent accurate. Nor are they good enough to even do any studying. They went on 10' increments instead of say 5' , they dont show any good defined creek channels , humps or anything...crap I tell you , pure crap!
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 04:49 PM   #3
MO3N

ya and it sucks cause I have no electronics because its a club tournament for my college club. normally it wouldn't bother me but how we place in this tournament directly relate to when we get to sign up for the FLW college series. So I want to do good so I can fish those tournament with a pro driver
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 05:16 PM   #4
coachpurdy

I'm not sure about maps, but you can get a good look at the lake from a satellite map. Google and MSN both have satallite images. They may help you find some main lake points but probably won't help with the creeks and ledges. The ones for the lakes around here was actually taken when the water was low so they are pretty useful.
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-10, 06:01 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Check your local Walmart for a mapps book for your state. Every Walmart I've been in carries a book in a rack in the fishing dept that contains lake topo maps for that state. Also, some tackle shops also sell them. I know our local BPS and Cabelas, along with a few bait shops also sell them.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 08:17 PM   #6
rangerryan

Hot Maps makes topo maps for almost every major impoundment with in a state. you can get them at wal mart or the closest BPS to your lake or you can by navionics program for your pc for about 15 bucks from bass pro and you will then have every lake in your region.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 07:00 PM   #7
BassEngineer
BassFishin.Com Member

Well you are at the right site.... Kevin has a GREAT video on how you can get FREE TOPO maps of your local lake...check out this video

http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-vi...atial-mapping/
BassEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.