Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-09, 07:36 PM   #1
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default porta boat, good idea?

so glad to back bass fishing.

there are couples small bass lakes around here... so, I do need a small and easy to carry boat for these lakes. I'm driving an avalanche LTZ truck...some body recommended me those "porta boat". So I'm wondering if it's a good idea...

Thanks.

H2O
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 07:41 PM   #2
TARHEELXRD
BassFishin.Com Member

You mean like this

TARHEELXRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 07:51 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Is that your TARHEELXRD? I have one just like it and am thinking about putting one of my spare lowrance units on it. Wondering where you mounted the transducer?If you have any pics I'd appreciate it.

On topic, I've only had this out once but it was very stable and fits in the back of the truck no problem. If you are looking at that fold up type boat, then I don't know how they are. But I know the dealer from Quebec and can ask him tomorrow if you have any questions.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 07:54 PM   #4
TARHEELXRD
BassFishin.Com Member

No that one is not mine however I did have one it was the first boat I ever had. I had one of the old Bottomline mounted on the side
TARHEELXRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 07:54 PM   #5
H2O

something like this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...13210555011452
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 08:11 PM   #6
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Is that your TARHEELXRD? I have one just like it and am thinking about putting one of my spare lowrance units on it. Wondering where you mounted the transducer?If you have any pics I'd appreciate it.

On topic, I've only had this out once but it was very stable and fits in the back of the truck no problem. If you are looking at that fold up type boat, then I don't know how they are. But I know the dealer from Quebec and can ask him tomorrow if you have any questions.

The Sun Dolphin Sportsman is about the same boat. I know that Jim mounted his transducer on the trolling motor. I was gonna do the same with mine but encountered a snag. Instead of the fin and propeller on the same side of the shaft, they're on opposite. Back to the drawing board. I'm probably gonna take it out this weekend and check the water line on the hull, since that's gonna be my next option.
Love where the finder is located on the pictured boat! I need to look into that!
Old 04-07-09, 08:15 PM   #7
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post

Cool concept
Old 04-07-09, 08:21 PM   #8
boater

Price starts at 2300 dollars I was about to buy one last week till I found this out http://www.porta-bote.com/
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 09:10 PM   #9
Mensa
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mensa

Sorta new to the forums post count wise but I have a 10 foot bass prowler, looks just like the pelican above. It weighs 100lb with no trolling motor and probably 120-130 with the trolling motor and battery.

I took it out today and the water was almost glass smooth and I got far faster than I would have been just rowing, the trolling motor is 30lb thrust. I weigh a good 250lb so that should give you an idea of what to expect if you get a 10' prowler sort of deal.

It was pretty fun, just zipped around wherever I needed to go.

edit: I am also interested in mounting the transducer on it, I have a fish finder but with my 15 1/2 foot fiberglass boat unregistered I have no where to use it. I would like to get it set up on the little prowler but am unsure of where to put the transducer. I heard the trolling motor but does it make a difference in what I see on screen when I turn the trolling motor with the transducer on it?

Thanks.
Mensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 10:08 PM   #10
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
so glad to back bass fishing.

there are couples small bass lakes around here... so, I do need a small and easy to carry boat for these lakes. I'm driving an avalanche LTZ truck...some body recommended me those "porta boat". So I'm wondering if it's a good idea...

Thanks.

H2O

Please dont tell me you cant fit a 14 foot jonboat into an AVALANCHE this is my TAHOE with my back doors OPEN!!! A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do...
i couldnt trust the "porta bote" anyway, get a canoe for all that matters... or a small plastic or jonboat with a trailer?
Attached Images

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.