Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-07, 01:41 PM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Tried out the present....

I finally got a chance to get out for a few mintues and use the Christmas present my wife got me. It was a Shimano Calias 200A reel. I put the reel on a Guide series titanium 7' rod. I loved it. I threw for about 20 minutes and quit because my hands were freezing. I know there are alot of folks on here that don't like shimano but I have several other models and I have never have had a problem. Gotta love a wife that gets you presents that supports fishing!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 02:33 PM   #2
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
... I know there are alot of folks on here that don't like shimano...
Yes, there are, but we've managed to have most of them committed to The Home for The Hopelessly Clueless.

I own and use a Daiwa Viento, A Daiwa 153HST, some Quantum spinning reels, and a BPS Extreme 7:1, and they serve me well. But would I give up my Chronarch 50MGs (3), my 'Rado 100Bs (2), my 'Rado 200BSFs (5), my Castaic, or my 'Rado 220B 5:1? Not only no, but HELL NO!

The ONLY thing that would keep me from replacing the 200 series 'Rados with the new ones, when the oldies wear out, is the fact that Shimano made the "D" series so $&^#!~! obese, adding an ounce of weight to them.
To me, lightness is everything, y'see, for the sake of endurance and sensitivity, but there are other Shimano reels that can meet that standard.
Still, so soon as I win the Lotto (any day now) I will likely place my Shimanos and Quantum spin reels in Ready Reserve and load up on the Daiwa STEEZ casting AND spinning models. The Chronarchs and Castaic, however, will remain on front-line duty.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 06:14 PM   #3
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Isn't that the top of the line for shimano? Somewhere around 600.00 bucks?
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 06:51 PM   #4
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by betursweetbass View Post
Isn't that the top of the line for shimano? Somewhere around 600.00 bucks?
That one is the Calais DC

The Calais 200 is more moderately priced, if you can call "moderately priced" a $350 reel.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 07:04 PM   #5
everettvet

Raul,

You have the pricing about right. This is a reel that I would have NEVER bought myself (because of the price). A friend of ours helped her pick it out. He really likes this reel. He has a bunch of them! I can see why he likes them. I still can't believe my wife got me this reel for Christmas. If I seem like I am bragging about the reel, I don't mean to be. I am trying to brag about my wonderful wife!!
Old 01-11-07, 07:14 PM   #6
Raul

Brag man, brag, you have the right to brag about both ( reel n´wife ). I used to own a Calais 100, great reel, sold it to a fishing partner of mine, he insisted so much that I let it go ......just to get me a TDZ, which is about the same. Buttery smooth & silky reels that cast like a dream, my only beef with them is the weight, a bad shoulder and age has made me quest for light reels and at 6.2 ounces the TDZ is the right choice for that bad shoulder.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 07:25 PM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Very nice reel, and what a woman to buy it for you. Congrats on both.

Lizards
Old 01-12-07, 01:51 PM   #8
everettvet

Thank you, Thank you! The only problem that I can predict is that it will be tough to buy anyother model reel. I have a citcia and several curados of which I really like, but they are not anything like that calias.
Old 01-12-07, 06:34 PM   #9
adamgambill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You are a very lucky man. Thats a sweeet reel and a good woman. Any sisters? ,LOL
Old 01-12-07, 06:53 PM   #10
everettvet

Sorry, no sisters. She is one of kind.
Old 01-13-07, 10:59 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
Sorry, no sisters. She is one of kind.
How about an aunt or some other type of FEMALE relative. LOL had to specify female cause I know some OF US would have jumped in here being I am from ARKANSAS. ZOOKER BITE YOUR TONGUE!

Anyway wish my wife would look at it that way. Her response is I aint buying you no more tackle.
Old 01-13-07, 11:11 AM   #12
TackleTester
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

Quote:
Chronarch 50MGs (3), my 'Rado 100Bs (2), my 'Rado 200BSFs (5), my Castaic, or my 'Rado 220B 5:1? Not only no, but HELL NO!
Amen Fly Rod....Shimano is king...lol
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 11:32 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleTester View Post
Amen Fly Rod....Shimano is king...lol
Folks have tried to alter my thinking as well. All the reels out there are GOOD reels. Its the chevy ford thing. If ya like it then its good for ya. So far KNOCK on wood the shimano's I own have been good reels. The only thing I dont like about them is the oil and grease the use from the factory...in cold weather...the reel doesnt cast as well. I tear them apart and use the Quantum Hot sauce oil and grease SPARINGLY and no problems. I fish the Cardiff round reels and own 1 Castaic due to LIZARDS recommend for a flipping pitching. I use to fish quantum exclusively and Ambassaduer has ALWAYS been a workhorse for me. Sounds like crap but keeps going.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.