Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-09, 10:18 AM   #1
nick1234
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Leaders

Do leaders give lures (plastics, jerkbaits, etc.) more action? And if so, what length would give it the most action?
nick1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 12:20 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For me, I only use a leader if my main line does not support the technique I want to throw. Most often, it is because I am using my braid rod and need to finesse. I have often used them to downsize line in very clear water. I usually don't go with a leader any longer than the length of the rod I am using. I prefer to keep the knot out of the rod when I am casting. Most often I will use a 3 foot leader. I go down to a 1 foot leader if I am attaching a c-rig.
Old 07-07-09, 07:30 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

no leaders don't give the lure more action..they just make the main line less vizable in most cases..

you want more action use a loop knot or a coast lock swivel..

zooker
Old 07-08-09, 08:09 PM   #4
bassboogieman

I kind of disagree with that Zook. For plastics, especially finesse applications (with an un-pegged sinker or weightless) a leader that it about half the test of the main line will allow the bait to move better. Some guys work finesse on lighter test lines and a leader isn't necessary, but if you're using a leader with heavier main line light baits will work a little better with a lighter leader. I think the same holds true for C-rigs, a lighter test leader allows the bait to float higher and not affect it's movement as much as a heavier leader. My impression of loop knots or a coast lock swivel is that they are more often used with hard baits rather than plastics - my own methods lean to using a leader more with soft baits than hard. That may not be true for everyone, but it's what works for me.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-08-09 at 08:18 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 03:08 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn

I use 15# CFX pure flouro leader tied with a J-knot to 20# suffix orange braid. I use this for my weightless plastic setup. I use about a 3' to 6' leader length until reties or abrasion cause the leader to be around 6". I have had a 6' leader last me this entire spring and summer and I still have about 4' left on it. CFX fouro leader is very expensive but worth it if you have a setup strictly for that application so retying is kept to a minimum.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 03:32 PM   #6
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use a leader under the following conditions:

1 - I want less visibility to the fish. Usually fluorocarbon.

2 - I want more durability. Some fish have nasty teeth. A walleye, musky, or pike will absolutely shred low-lb test mono.

3 - Sacrificial. With a C-Rig, I will usually use braid barrel swiveled to a fluorocarbon leader of lesser lb-test. If it gets hung up and I have to break it off, I get to keep my expensive Tungsten sinker (usually).

I haven't really thought about the type of line affecting the action of the lure before, but I think Zooker is right. Of more importance is the knot you are using. But just as a sanity check, I have a simple rule I use. If the lures eye is too small to easily get a doubled line through it (as in a Palomar knot), then you are using too heavy (thick) line. Even if you're not using the Palomar, try it as a check before you tie your favorite knot. If you follow that rule, I don't think you would ever have a problem with lure action.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.