Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-07, 11:32 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Your opinion on SureSet hooks

I've recently purchased a couple Rapala Lures that come equiped with their new SureSet hooks. These are the treble hooks with one of the three prongs being oversized and much longer than the other two prongs. Not sure if prong is an appropriate descript. Anyways, I was wondering from those of you who have used these, what your opinion of these hooks are. I havn't used them yet, however I will tomorrow and will see for myself if my suspicions are correct. To me, these hooks look as though all they will do is create more of a snagging problem than already exists on the normal treble hook design. Also, I would expect this style hook to create situations where hook removal from an engulfed bait is more difficilt, especially if the longer hook is burried deep in the fishes throat. I've never really had a problem with the normal style treble hooking anything that hits the bait. If this hook design is to help catch short strikers, then I can only see using the SureSet hook on the tail of the lure.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 03:28 PM   #2
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

I have them on my new Rat-L-Trap, and boy, they do "SureSet" on weeds and fishes' sides...

-ll
Old 11-03-07, 06:42 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

they are ok on the back but i removed the front one as to be less snagg prone....

zooker
Old 11-03-07, 10:34 PM   #4
Bender

I have them on the new DT-10s, but they haven't caught nothin!
I like Zooker's idea, since that is what I have done on some of my jerkbaits, but put a red normal treble hook on the front.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 03:19 AM   #5
islandbass

I have a couple and if they claim that they keep a fish better hooked, they forgot to mention how easily they catch grass. It is my only peeve about them, but I haven't caught anything with them yet. It appears my crank bait catches are with their regular VMC hooks.
Old 11-04-07, 06:53 AM   #6
pig n jig

It's probably a personal preference.I took them off and put VMC barbarian trebles on.I think they would have worked, but I have alot of confidence in the barbarian treble. p n j
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.