Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-07, 10:43 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default We Got Flooded today

So after a month of 10 degree days and a foot of snow, 3 inches of ice, it decides to rain and hits 60. The snow disappears and its rained for about 12 hours today...at lunch I check out the basement to unplug the heat tape on the plumbing and see about 6 inches of water all over the f/n floor!
We have two rooms in the basement that are 17x40, and another that is 15x15 ft, all water soaked, paper and crap floating about...

We have two drains but the main sewer drain had a clog(tree root), so I leave work with an industrial size pump and pump it out in about 1/2 hour, but the old house we live in has a few places the water comes through, and within a few hours its got another 4 inches, while I am waiting for the plumber..he got here at 6 and we went to his shop to get the biggest eel auger he has, and he goes out 75 ft, runs out of cable, and still clogged.
So he goes gets another 25 ft and after running 100 feet he hits the maple tree roots and the water receded...my big worry was that new furnace and water heater would get flooded out, but they only got about 2 inches of water around them at the peak of the flood.
We've lived here since 93 and haven't had the sewer eeled out in 10 years, plus I had no idea the foundation leaks, mostly due to the gutters being filled with leaves, and it pours over to the foundation
(its a 3 story brick, kinda high up there)
so my next step is to dig around the foundation and put some sealing in a few dime size holes, try something like drylock for the inside, then go out the 2nd story windows with a ladder and shimmy down the 6/12 pitch roof to the sides and fix the gutters...its almost easier that way than climbing 30 feet on a ladder...that makes my legs shake when i get down lol

ok, rant over, started at 1:30 and just got done, fixed a skillet of tilapia fish and having a budwiper brew.
btw whats the best way to fix that tilapia? it has kinda a fish after taste...I've baked it before with lemon, and today I fried it, its ok, but reminds me of crappie that sat out to long while you were filleting it, kinda a stronger fish taste.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 09:51 AM   #2
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

jb if there's one thing i've learned about you buddy.....you do nothing 1/2 arsed......hehehehehehe....sounds like you shoulda been fishin in texas to me.....
Old 03-02-07, 11:44 AM   #3
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In my previous home back in the early 90's we had the same problem. Big thaw and heavy rains and got water in the basement for the first time.

Good luck with it JB.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 12:19 PM   #4
JB

thanks you all! I appreciate the support!
Old 03-02-07, 01:56 PM   #5
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post

btw whats the best way to fix that tilapia? it has kinda a fish after taste...I've baked it before with lemon, and today I fried it, its ok, but reminds me of crappie that sat out to long while you were filleting it, kinda a stronger fish taste.
Solution: EAT MORE POSSUM!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 04:58 PM   #6
flbassman

You can oven bake tilapia with a cornmeal breading and it is delicious. I don't really have a recipe, but thats how my Grandma always makes it and it is gooooooood.....Good luck cleanin up....
Old 03-02-07, 05:45 PM   #7
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Solution: EAT MORE POSSUM!

FR
he is from OHIO fly squatter not west virginia...

zooker
Old 03-02-07, 06:36 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Sorry about the flood, but I wanna know if the rain made the water soft again, so you can "GO FISHING"?

Lizards
Old 03-02-07, 06:52 PM   #9
JB

I bet the lakes will open up soon, with this wind and warmer temps, the next couple of days its supposed to snow flurry but its just a matter of time and we should be able to "wet a line"
Old 03-03-07, 05:03 AM   #10
FlyRod

Exclamation

JayBee,

Just a thought...If you can, get some testing done for mold once you think the place is dried out. This event might well trigger or aggravate an existing problem with that, and the attendant health issues.
Sorry for your troubles.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 08:53 AM   #11
pig n jig

JB, What does f/n floor mean ? Is that some sort of shag carpet from the 60's-70's ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 01:10 PM   #12
JB

f/n floor in ohio hillbilly language means freakin floor p n j
yer probably not old nuff to remember the 70s eh
Old 03-03-07, 07:58 PM   #13
pig n jig

Yeah,how could I forget ? I remember the mid to late 70's very well, its just that my family was poorer than a pick-pocket in a nudist colony.We lived in an old Grainery building converted into a home by my father.There were a total of 12 children in my family, so there were no room for carpets in the budget. P N J
Old 03-03-07, 08:10 PM   #14
JB

you wuz po' too?
We were so poor.......

.......we ate the beans outa our bean bag seats

..................the only time we had salad was when our dad cut the grass.

.................our rats were on welfare!!

............we wore hand me down from our roaches!!

.......for our vacation, we went to the travel agency and just looked at the brochures!!

........the only time we showered was when it rained!!

............our family car was a Huffy bicycle.

.......for Xmas,we would fight each other to see who got the bigger pieces of coal !!

so poor, we ate our food stamps !!

.....we couldnt afford socks, so we painted our ankles blue.

...........so poor, the chinese family next door gave us their rice!!
Old 03-04-07, 11:24 AM   #15
pig n jig

JB, It was nothing like that.We grew a garden to produce our vegetables, always had chickens running around that provided eggs and meat.Goats that provided milk and meat and an ocassional rabbit , or 2 was raised for meat.My family would poach everything from ducks to deer to provide for the rather large family we had if it was necessary to do so.It was things like new school clothes, carpeted flooring, things like that weren't necessary in our household.I was the youngest, thank god I had more brothers than sisters so I didn't have to wear dresses to school.It was bad enough that I was still wearing bell bottom jeans in the early 80's. P N J

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.