Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-10, 07:56 PM   #1
JigNgrub1997
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Help a newbie out!

I've followed the site for a while, learning about Bass fishing more and more as the days come, and finally thought I'd come here to join. I'm not a TOTAL newbie, I've fished for 3-years or so, mainly just soaking bait for Catfish or Carp and/or tossing Tubes 'N Grubs for Crappie and Bluegill. Bass fishing has always fascinated me, all of the lures, rods, reels, lines, times when to fish what, etc. I've read up enough stuff to get a general idea on Bass fishing, I've learned to use a Baitcaster, I've learned most of the basic stuff (Baitcasters should be used with heavier line, Colorado Blade is best in muddy water, etc.) but I can NEVER catch any Bass.

As my name implies, I like to fish light Jig-Heads rigged with Grubs. I bought a used Tackle Box once and it had all of these soft plastic lizards, worms, worm hooks, bullet weights, grubs, jig-heads, etc in it. I used a 2" grub on a jig-head in a very clear creek and hooked two nice bass, probably 12" or so a piece. Maybe a little smaller. It fascinated me even more.

I started using Buzzbaits, Spinnerbaits, Plastic Worms, Plastic Lizards, Poppers, Rat-L-Traps and all of these different kinds of lures. And I NEVER get a fish.

Last year I hooked two creek Largemouth's on that Jig n Grub, lost both. I also got one small little 7" bass on a 6" Plastic Worm. Other'n that, I've never gotten any Largemouth Bass on actual "bass" lures.

I'm here to see if anyone can give me any pointers on where to FIND fish, as I think that's what my problem is. Help will be appreciated greatly!

Thanks.
JigNgrub1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 09:39 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the nut house. I don't fish creeks so I'm no help there.
Old 05-02-10, 10:16 PM   #3
Jrob78

Welcome to the forum. What part of the country are you in? Is the creek your only place to fish? Is it a creek with small deep pockets of water or is the whole creek relatively deep? Is it a natural creek or a dammed up controlled creek?

In general I like to down size my baits when fishing smaller narrow creeks. For small bass in small creeks a simple jighead with a grub can be very effective. Concentrate on the deeper pockets in the creek if that applies. Fish any cover that may be there and concentrate on any areas where water may be flowing into the creek. I've had a lot of success in places where rain run off flows into deeper water.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 12:20 AM   #4
JigNgrub1997
BassFishin.Com Member

I'm in Kentucky. And no creeks are not the only places I fish. That particular creek is just the place where I hooked those two bass. I fish primarily a lake and a few other lakes here and there.
Old 05-03-10, 12:27 AM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

For creek fishing you are definitely on the right track. Most creek fishing is done with the type of lures you are using-small, natural looking baits. I've never had much luck fishing creeks with anything other than grubs, small plastics and the occasional crankbait or topwater. Most of the other baits you describe work better in ponds, lakes, and bigger bodies of water-at least that has been my experience. If you are catching fish in your creek you are doing it right!

If you can expand and start fishing ponds you will find you can fish a wider variety of baits with success.

In the meantime, try to find an area of deeper, slow moving water and try to expand your lure selection. Just remember to cast upstream and retrieve with the current. That way it will look more natural, and in current fish face into it and let their prey come to them-I've never had a hit pulling the bait back against the current.

Let us know how you do!
Old 05-03-10, 01:52 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the boards, glad to have ya! There is a ton of information here that will help you for sure.
Old 05-03-10, 09:32 AM   #7
JigNgrub1997
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Welcome to the forum!

For creek fishing you are definitely on the right track. Most creek fishing is done with the type of lures you are using-small, natural looking baits. I've never had much luck fishing creeks with anything other than grubs, small plastics and the occasional crankbait or topwater. Most of the other baits you describe work better in ponds, lakes, and bigger bodies of water-at least that has been my experience. If you are catching fish in your creek you are doing it right!

If you can expand and start fishing ponds you will find you can fish a wider variety of baits with success.

In the meantime, try to find an area of deeper, slow moving water and try to expand your lure selection. Just remember to cast upstream and retrieve with the current. That way it will look more natural, and in current fish face into it and let their prey come to them-I've never had a hit pulling the bait back against the current.

Let us know how you do!
Thank you for the info! The creeks are not the only thing I fish, actually I fish lakes more often than creeks!

So if anyone has any lake fishing tips? Where to find bass and what cover to look for?
Old 05-03-10, 10:02 AM   #8
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Welcome to the site. Did you check out all of kevins videos on here?
Right now in nc the fish are very shallow on second points of spawning pockets. I've been catching them on t-rigged beaver baits and lizards mostly.
Don't know if that is any help or not. Its just a big question with thousands of answers.

Welcome again.
Old 05-03-10, 03:48 PM   #9
Jim80

Hey man welcome to the site , First if you are fishing from the bank I would suggest looking for larger pond and the such to fish for a bit as in a lake you have no way of knowing if you are in the right area ( just cause there is cover doesn't mean there will be fish there ) were as in a medium to larger pond half the battle is already over the fish are there you just need to figure out what bait they will hit . All the baits you mentioned catch fish maybe you just need to change your retrieve up a bit or maybe it could be your color selection but like I said if you are fishing a lake with tons of shoreline from the bank don't let not catching fish get ya down just find a body of water were you can fish most of it from the bank and it will be like night and day .

Jim
Old 05-06-10, 02:12 AM   #10
Strike_King 609
BassFishin.Com Active Member

throw on a yum dinger or a Senko rig it up jersey style < wacky-rig> hook it threw the middle so both ends fall at the same time. If there are bass in the area they will eat it. Fish early mornings or late evenings. Fishing from the shore in the daytime can be a real waste of time. Good luck
Old 05-06-10, 07:56 PM   #11
Cavs1123

I totally agree with SK! If you want some really good tips go to www.bassresource.com

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.