Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-10, 08:58 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Weighted Wacky Rig

How do you retrieve them ? I have a Gamakasu wacky jig head , the round red one , and a Senko. I hooked it threw the middle and hopped it , and also tried to slowely reel it in. Neither worked today. However , nothing else worked either...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 09:13 PM   #2
rrw4258

A flick shake or "wacky jighead" worm is a deadly clear water finesse technique! I have found it to work best by throwing out, and letting in sink on a semi slack line and watching the line for a tick... when that happens set the hook. I have found a finesse worm to work better than a senko in most cases, but both have their place. I use jigeads from this site:

http://www.economicalbassbaits.com/a...s/show/1347802

Ryan
Old 10-05-10, 10:34 PM   #3
Jrob78

I've got some of the red Gamakatsu Wacky Heads and I also like to use these weighted hooks.

I also prefer using Zoom Trick or Finesse worms with the weighted hooks. If I fish a Senko wacky style I go weightless since the Senko weighs enough on its own.

I have had success casting it out and letting it sink to the bottom. I then give it short, deliberate twitches to get it up off the bottom, pausing enough time between each twitch to make sure the bait has time to get the full pendulum of it's movement. I normally twitch from 2-10 times, let it sink back to the bottom and repeat.
Old 10-05-10, 10:47 PM   #4
Tavery5

Do a search on Jackall Flick Shake it should show and tell you all you need to know. Good technique for clear water and finicky bass.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 10:58 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ok, well I'm a bit old school I guess. I use a weedless hook such as a weedless widegap hook or wacky hook rigged on a 5 inch senko style worm hooked mid section. I'll then pinch a split shot to the bend in the hook, or just in front of the knot. I then toss it out close to the cover I think a bass will be hiding in and let it sink to the bottom and rest several seconds, that is if it even gets to the bottom. After resting a bit, I'll give it a few twitches and let it rest more and repeat. I'd like to say I try other retrieves and let the bass tell me what they want, but to be truthfull, this retrieve works all the time that I try it as long as the senko bite is on. If not, other retreives don't seem to make any change and I go on to something else entirely.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-10, 12:11 PM   #6
Raul

Are you shure you were fishing at the right depth/location ?

Reason why I ask is this: when someone comes and asks a qustion like yours imediately suggestions pop up, do this, do that, try this and try that, 4 out of 4 replies end up you continue to maintain the bait on the bottom, my man, the bottom is only a small part of the entire water column, weighted means only that, weighted, but there are a bunch of ways of weighting a bait, a jighead is one of them but how about a split shot ? place your split shot on above the hook, rig your bait and use the countdown method to fish the water column, the fish may not necessarily have to be on the bottom, they can be anywhere from the surface all the way down to the bottom.

A few months ago I and my compadre went fishing to our everyday lake, we tried different baits and techniques in different locations with no results for a good couple of hours, I wacky rigged a stickbait, added a number 7 split shot to the line, cast it and as it sank to the bottom a fish grabbed it, ended up being a nice 3 pounder; repeated the same and hooked another fish, 1 fish may not mean anything, 2 fish caught in the same manner say a lot, they are indicating a trend, they are telling you the rate of fall and they are telling you the depth at which the fish are holding in that that location ( which can also be the entire lake ). The point here is that the fish can be anywhere along the water column but to find out you have to try at different depths.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-10, 02:19 PM   #7
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy

Just tried the Iaconelli weighted wacky jig heads today for first time, on a very weedy lake that we don't fish to often. Just tried something for a change of pace. I love wacky style but they sink so slowly i cant fish them in over 6 foot, to impatient. I like these, they were sinking very fast, and even though we didn't catch alot, I did manage to get this.

Guessing close to 4 pounds, and a mouth I could fit my fist in. Makes me a lil more encouraged about a tourney up north I have tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1009100847a.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	5867  

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.