Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-12, 12:15 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Go with a plan....or your gut????

I’ve always wondered what makes a bass hit that loud rattling crankbait? When you think about it they don’t really mimic a shad sound…….at least I don’t believe so. When I first started using cranks it was hard to throw the plastic only because I used to (still do actually) believe in making a bait as realistic as possible. I started drilling out my plastic cranks and removing the bb’s and also adding different types of oils to alter the sound of the rattle. Got some interesting results. I really admire the pros and their determination to find out which crank will get the bass fired up. For me it’s always a question of when to switch. How many times have you thrown a crank 5….6…7 times at a stump or laydown only to get nailed on the 8th cast just as you were getting ready to change lures. So how do you guys decide when enough is enough…….when to make that change whether to a different color or a different lure altogether. Do you go in with a game plan like “I’m gonna throw this many times or I’m gonna throw 5 minutes before I change” or do you just go with your gut!?!
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 01:01 PM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tough question, each angler will have a different response I'm sure. I change colors often - and use Norman speed clips to allow me to do it quickly and not waste time tying knots. I also have two (identical) crankbait rods and put the same bait in a different color on each. I may make a couple casts at a stump with one, then pick up the other rod for a couple more, then if I really think it's work the trouble, repeat another series. I don't fish a lot of deep cranks, this technique I use for shallow to medium depth cranks. For example, if I'm fishing a crawfish pattern I will have a red one and a brown one: stained water, Chartreuse/black and Firetiger; or Sexy Shad and Chrome/blue. Combinations are numerous, but I try to keep the colors somewhat similiar in most instances. I do the same thing with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits, but with spinnerbaits I will throw similiar colors but in different sizes like a 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz and/or different blades.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 01:06 PM   #3
Tavery5

I just go with my gut feeling, if I start loosing confidence in a bait, I know that I am not going to fish it as well as one that I have confidence in. Once I loose that feeling I change, usually I will change color and action, may go to a wider,or tighter wobble, maybe a little deeper or more shallow, rattle or no rattle, I just keep mixing it up until.........
Old 03-21-12, 02:24 PM   #4
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bassboogie what the speed clips you speak of, i thought swivels would mess up action of the bait, and to Op, i change mine out often if there is a spot I feel holds fish, or go silent if i have to.
Old 03-21-12, 03:24 PM   #5
Mumpy

I often stick to the Color range I've selected because I feel I'm pretty good at picking the proper Color. I will however go through different types of lures to give a different presentation and let that determine what I do for future casts.
Old 03-21-12, 06:03 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I just go with my gut feeling, if I start loosing confidence in a bait, I know that I am not going to fish it as well as one that I have confidence in. Once I loose that feeling I change, usually I will change color and action, may go to a wider,or tighter wobble, maybe a little deeper or more shallow, rattle or no rattle, I just keep mixing it up until.........
This is pretty much my approach as well, so ^5 Taverey! One thing I will do is tie on a rattling and non rattling crankbait of similar color and size. Then work both and see if one or the other is getting more attention.
Old 03-21-12, 06:28 PM   #7
bassinbob

I usually start with 3 rods rigged up with baits that have produced where I start fishing each time out. I usually throw each lure 5 times or so. Working my way through all 3 baits. I'll rotate them about 5 times before I switch color, size or a different crank. Somewhere new or a spot I haven't fished before it might be hit or miss for the mix. So I guess in the first scenerio it is game plan. Second is gut.
Old 03-21-12, 07:05 PM   #8
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
How many times have you thrown a crank 5….6…7 times at a stump or laydown only to get nailed on the 8th cast just as you were getting ready to change lures.
You throw a crankbait at a stump or laydown 5….6…7 times or more? Maybe if it were a big laydown I might make a couple casts to each side and a couple around the end. With a crankbait, normally I don't make more than 3 or 4 good casts to a stump (or any small target.) I would be more likely to move than to change lures.

That said, crankbaits aren't a lure I fish regularly so I'm interested to hear how other people fish them. I've always felt that crankbaits were for active fish and if I didn't catch them on the first two or three casts at a small target, the fish weren't there or I wasn't going to catch them on that lure. Further I feel that the first couple crank-bait casts can spook fish. When I do fish a crankbait and I'm casting to a target (rather than covering water along a flat, weed-line, drop-off, etc.) I try to be as precise as possible: I determine the best angle for my presentation, get the boat in position, and take my time to make an accurate cast. After 3 or 4 casts I like to let the spot cool down for 5 or 10 minutes and hope the fish returns. Then I go after him with a more sublte technique like a T-rigged worm.

Now, when I'm cranking an area / or covering water (flats, weed lines, drop-offs, etc.) I give a specific brand or color pattern a set amount of time, maybe 10 or 15 minutes and then try a different brand, color, or a maybe a different size.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 07:40 PM   #9
kennethdaysale

Hey CB I usually stick with my game plan as far as colors go unless I'm getting lots of non-commital followers or short strikes. Most of the changes I make will be deeper or shallower....change in speed or cadence...skinny or fat...

@IB you're right about cranks being good for active fish...but of course an active fish is likely to hit just about anything you throw at him. I often find that I can turn a group of inactive fish into biters with a crank if I throw the right one at the right speed/depth. Much like a spinner or buzz bait, if you run one close enough to a fish he will eat it just out of spite.
Old 03-22-12, 10:24 PM   #10
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
Bassboogie what the speed clips you speak of, i thought swivels would mess up action of the bait, and to Op, i change mine out often if there is a spot I feel holds fish, or go silent if i have to.
I'll answer for him.
They are called Norman (the manufacturer) Speed Clips. Norman Lures
Cabelas has them for sure but if you google it, theres probably alot of places.
No swivel, originally came out for Icefishing , tying in the cold is a drag. So be carefull because there are at least two sizes, the smaller is made for like small panfish jigs and the clip won't work with larger cranks. Just pinch in pliers they open and you slip lure on similar to a split ring but not as much threading.
They're cheap, try them out.
In the old days many crankers used a loop knot, some still do. These clips have a similar effect. I use them all the time on liples cranks but in my eyes there good on any crank. Thier a shore fishermans dream do to not having all the poles you have when boating and changing baits usually involves tying.
Some places like Gander blow them out with thier Icefishing stuff this time of year. Once gone they wont restock till next winter. Now down south they may be harder to find, I don't know.
Old 03-22-12, 10:53 PM   #11
bassboogieman

Quote:
Just pinch in pliers they open and you slip lure on
Pinch in pliers? WIMP!
I sent him an PM with pictures and explanation, rather than post a response. Thanks for having my back, Joe.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 11:37 PM   #12
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

I need to give those speed clips a try... anyways...I don't really make that many color changes, unless they're like dark to light or sparkles to matte. The changes that I mainly make affect action, size, and presentation. For example, I'll switch from a 7.5" worm to a 10" worm, or a KVD 1.5 to a 2.5, or a 1/2 oz rattletrap to a 3/4. You get the idea. I don't put too much stock in color, as long as the general look matches the conditions that I am fishing. I rarely make changes in color in the case that I think that the new color will catch more fish. I also think that fish care most about presentation than color. Just my opinion... BFK
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 08:18 AM   #13
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Pinch in pliers? WIMP!
I sent him an PM with pictures and explanation, rather than post a response. Thanks for having my back, Joe.

lol wimp but may be smart, if they are anything like pinching split rings to make jikas and change trebles, JD is smart, lol after weeks of not feeling the end of my finger tips, i finally got some ring pliers, lol and yea the family is desciding to got to concord, ya know what that mean, the sworing off of bps till June is voided if i go with someone else Amber cant say nuthin lol ,,,so i hope to get some clips

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.