Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-07, 09:28 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Spoons in Pads

Anyone ever fish a Johnson spoon in lilly pads ? Does this produce at all. The weedless spoon is what Im lookin at for this application.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 09:35 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yes I have and do. However they really aren't totally weedless, especially hitting a stiff lilly pad.

Lizards
Old 12-10-07, 11:09 PM   #3
ROBZILLA

I have a secret way of making a spoon weedless. It works every time and you would think to your self why didn't I think of that! Just put it this way it's a modification. If you want more info PM me and we will talk, but you won't after I tell you right!
Old 12-11-07, 08:47 PM   #4
Marty

Years ago, I used weedless spoons a lot in pads. However, as soft plastics rose in prominence and variety, I now prefer those rigged weedless to the spoons which haven't gotten wet now in a few years.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 08:24 AM   #5
Mac10

Some use a Johnson weedless silver minnow and run a plastic worm onto the weedguard and then punch the worm on the hook to make it weedless, leaving the tail of the worm free to wiggle as the spoon wobbles.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 08:27 AM   #6
Mac10

You can also run the worm threaded on the guard, cut the worm at the hook and back it off the guard a little and thread it over the hook and barb, that also works to some degree.....working the spoon in reeds and pads still requires a certain degree of care.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 02:01 PM   #7
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey CMORG, I have used weedless spoons for catching bass in shallow cover, especially lilly pads that are laying either flat or very close to flat in the water for 30 years now. And believe me, it works. I used to use a Johnsons spoon with either a skirt or pork frog as a trailor. It works pretty good. However I do not like the hook design of the Johnson spoon, only because of the way the spoon is positioned on the hook. The hook begins it's bend upward as it is comming off the spoon, which leaves nearly no room to thread a trailor without making the trailor lay unnaturally bent and curved off the hook. However, there is a spoon which I long ago adopted as my go to spoon for these conditions which works considerably better than the Johnson spoon. It is made by Lakeland, and is called the Jawbreaker Spoon. The hook extends out from the spoon a little further than the Johnson spoon does and allows you to add a trailor more easily. It also come equiped with a skirt built into the spoon. There are two plastic weedguards instead of the one single wire guard found on the Johnson spoon. I have caught a ton of bass on the Jawbreaker spoons. Their shape is a little different than the Johnsons spoon, and runs a little shallower with a nicer swimming action. I often dont even use a trailor on the lawbreaker as the skirt which it comes with works nicely. And the swimming action is such that I have caught several bass on this spoon in open water as well.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.