Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-08, 11:08 PM   #1
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default 8 Golds for Phelps

Well we all thought it would happen but Micheal Phelps won all eight events with 7 of them setting new world records . Hats off to the greatest Olympian of all time and to the team members that supported him in the relays . Jayson Lezak swam a heck of a relay for the come behind win as well .
Old 08-16-08, 11:37 PM   #2
flfireman

Was just coming here to say the same thing. He is truly a incredibly talented young man. The rest of the US team is still truly superb by all standards. Watching these guys and girls has been a history making event and Im proud that they are from this beloved country.
Old 08-17-08, 12:22 AM   #3
brushhog

Greatest of all time... Probably, but I'd be willing to make a few arguments just for arguments sake. If anyone was interested!
Old 08-17-08, 01:42 AM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I heard that almost all of his joints are double jointed. He was born to swim.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 09:12 PM   #5
Sluggo Man
BassFishin.Com Active Member

He also has unusually long fingers and toes as well as an oddly shaped torso. Not to mention incredible determination and consistancy under pressure.

Congratulations to Michael Phelps, truly a great athlete. Congratulations also to the other American swimmers; after all, they wouldn't have won the relays if all four swimmers didn't do well.
Sluggo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 09:58 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

phelps is a great swimmer for sure. but would mark spits give him a run for the gold if he had the training phelps has? just think it would be a great matchup.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 12:03 AM   #7
Sluggo Man

Perhaps, but there were a lot of close races for Phelps already.

Did anyone else see Usain Bolt of Jamaica win the men's 100m? Considering how short of a dash that is, it's like he won by a mile.
Old 08-18-08, 09:50 AM   #8
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo Man View Post
Perhaps, but there were a lot of close races for Phelps already.

Did anyone else see Usain Bolt of Jamaica win the men's 100m? Considering how short of a dash that is, it's like he won by a mile.
And the fact that he slowed up the last 15 meteres. His time could have been faster. My wife and I watched it and just said wow.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 09:57 AM   #9
Jim80

Usain Bolt was stupidly fast and it's only his first year running pro .
Old 08-18-08, 10:38 AM   #10
Fishnngolfn

And he is 6' 5". Most tall people that I know (myself included 6' 7") are very lanky and slow. Long strides for distance but definitely not for speed. And with a name like Bolt, that was just begging for the nickname "Lightning".
Old 08-18-08, 11:17 AM   #11
MIbasser

Carl Lewis was pretty tall too if I remember correctly.... Bolt is just plain crazy fast. I'm sure he'll be tested, A LOT! Guys just don't get that fast, that quick.

Back to Phelps - GREAT JOB!
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 03:57 PM   #12
Jim80

I'm waiting to see how he does in the 200m which is said to be his best race .
Old 08-18-08, 04:00 PM   #13
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
I'm waiting to see how he does in the 200m which is said to be his best race .
I am willing to bet he wins the gold AND shatters the world record in that too. It was interesting to here his comments after the race. He said he doesn't care about world records, only gold medals.
Old 08-18-08, 04:04 PM   #14
Jim80

The kid is 21 and held the world record before the event , if he didn't care about the record he would not pose by the time board after the race .
Old 08-18-08, 04:18 PM   #15
Fishnngolfn

I think what he meant with his comments was that his first goal was to win gold. If he broke the world record in the preliminary race but failed to win the gold, he would not be happy. I think every athlete in track and field that has broken the world record would pose by the time board. I know I would. I just noticed that he kept saying the same thing to each question asked by the NBC guy. "I don't care about world records, just gold." No matter what the question was, that is all the guy said. It was strange and seemed a bit rude. But that was just my opinion of the interview after the race.
Old 08-18-08, 04:26 PM   #16
Fishnngolfn

According to this guy, Phelps ranks 6th in the all time great Olympians.

http://cw11.trb.com/wpix-phelps0813,0,3349629.story
Old 08-18-08, 05:06 PM   #17
Jim80

I am sure that the new technology helped him a bit but all the other swimmers had it available to them as well, and further more he was already dominate in his first Olympics at the age of 19 and then only major difference between then and now is his coach wasn't letting him lift weights at a younger age. He didn't start a weight lifting program until he was 21 and the result of that along with his natural talent is the results of this Olympics .
Old 08-18-08, 05:16 PM   #18
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have to disagree..sorry, but he's not the best olympian ever..atleast not in my mind..swimmers have so many chances to gain medals at the olympics, that's why you typically see a good swimmer have multiple golds...If he repeats this type of performance at the next summer olympics than we can talk..but not now...and on another note..the chinese built the pools so that people would beat world records to up the ratings (FACT!) The pools are deeper, colder and the dividers are larger...the depth absorbs more vibration and therefore less waves or splash, the temperature cools the body allowing the swimmers to burn less calories and therefore they don't get as tired as quickly, and the lane dividers are larger in this pool and obviously will cut down on waves & interference from lane to lane..making this one of the fastest pools in olympic history!
Old 08-18-08, 10:21 PM   #19
CMorg

Im really into the womens beach volleyball for some reason ....
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-08, 10:37 PM   #20
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
I have to disagree..sorry, but he's not the best olympian ever..atleast not in my mind..swimmers have so many chances to gain medals at the olympics, that's why you typically see a good swimmer have multiple golds...If he repeats this type of performance at the next summer olympics than we can talk..but not now...and on another note..the chinese built the pools so that people would beat world records to up the ratings (FACT!) The pools are deeper, colder and the dividers are larger...the depth absorbs more vibration and therefore less waves or splash, the temperature cools the body allowing the swimmers to burn less calories and therefore they don't get as tired as quickly, and the lane dividers are larger in this pool and obviously will cut down on waves & interference from lane to lane..making this one of the fastest pools in olympic history!
That you can compare to somebody in track and field competing in multiple events and in my mind the rest of the swimmers all had those factors to their advantage as well, but in two trips to the Olympics the kid has been the best hands down .
Old 08-19-08, 08:12 PM   #21
Sluggo Man

One of the main advantages that contemporary swimmers have to previous competitors is the suits they wear. As you said, they help regulate body temperature quicker, and they also produce less resistance.

Let's face it, anybody who is good enough to even be competing in the Olympics is a great athlete (or in the case of something like table tennis, at least has good hand-eye coordination).
Old 08-24-08, 08:19 PM   #22
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Im really into the womens beach volleyball for some reason ....
Gymnastics, nastia and shawn

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 10:33 PM   #23
bamabassman

hahaha txbasser, yea gotta love the 13,14 yr olds huh? can we say....jailbait? hahahahaha. as a kid i had a huge crush on nadia. can't spell her last name. from romania.mmmmmmm....oh sorry.lmao.
Old 08-25-08, 09:00 PM   #24
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hahaha txbasser, yea gotta love the 13,14 yr olds huh? can we say....jailbait? hahahahaha. as a kid i had a huge crush on nadia. can't spell her last name. from romania.mmmmmmm....oh sorry.lmao.
Haha. I actually got her autograph at the SA airport a while ago... dissapointed in person

I got a girl though, haha.

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 09:54 PM   #25
bamabassman

hahahahahaha.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.