Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-10, 07:36 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Storm Hot n Tots

What technique is this lure useful for ? I went to the Storm website , but it says nothing about how deep it dives , or where its intended to be used. I bought some at Dicks today , they have the metal lip on them. They look good , but ??
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 08:04 PM   #2
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

The only time I have seen people fish a Hot-n-Tot is trolling. I may be wrong but that's the only way I've seen that lure used.
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 08:47 PM   #3
Marty

I used to use them casting on the Erie Canal and they readily caught bass, pike and walleye. However, once they started running to the side, I couldn't tune them, which doesn't mean that they can't be tuned.

I forgot how deep they run.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 09:43 PM   #4
bassinbob

I used them years ago for walleye. That was many years of use and never did hook a bass with them. Not saying that they wouldn't catch bass though.
Old 02-14-10, 12:59 AM   #5
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I also use them mainly for walleye. They have a REALLY wide wobble and steep dive angle. Usually I can get them down about 8 feet, maybe 10 if I go with a lighter floro line. Should be a good lure to churn the bottom up with. I wouldn't think they would be very good around cover such as laydowns.
Old 02-14-10, 01:08 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have used Hot N Tots for several years, as a matter of fact when Storm quit making them in the smaller size my grandpa order 6 of every color they made in both sizes. We have used them both for trolling and for casting and have caught a lot of walleye, bass, and crappie on them. We have also rigged them on a 3 way swivel before while trolling and had a Hot N Tot on one leader and a spoon on the other leader, you would be surprised at how many times you can catch 2 fish at once doing the when you find a school. Anyways I would agree with rodnreel, I think that 10 feet is about all you can ask out of them. They are a great bait for trolling and not bad for casting either if you are just looking for bites of any kind because there is no telling what you will catch on them.
Old 02-14-10, 10:35 AM   #7
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

My dad and uncle used them all the time trolling for walleye and whites back in the 80's. I believe that's what they were designed for. I think they'd work as a casting bait, but I think there are better choices out there.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 03:45 PM   #8
JB

I start out in spring with a tighter wobble crankbait like a trap or shad rap, then in summer go with a wider wobble like a bandit or wiggle wor or hot n tot
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 12:48 AM   #9
AbuMel
BassFishin.Com Member

For years I used the original, metal-billed, Hot N Tots, 3/8 size, for Black Bass in Elephant Butte Lake in New Mexico and at Lake Novillo in Mexico. Used them for both casting and trolling. Had great success with the chrome/blue at both lakes when the water was clear (which is most of the time) and a yellow colored one when the yellow butterflies were flying at Novillo. Also did good with fire tiger and chartreuse colors at various times. Never fished them much, if any, in muddy or murky waters.

I've never done any walleye fishing until very recently but have a good walleye lake within an hour of my house and can't wait to try them on walleye now.

I thought the metal billed ones were permanently out were out of production until I came across this thread. I see that Cabela's has a nice selection so I've just got to order me some.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to convince my wife that buying new plugs is more important than paying the electric bill?
AbuMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 10:10 AM   #10
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuMel View Post

Anyone have any suggestions on how to convince my wife that buying new plugs is more important than paying the electric bill?
Tell her what I tell my wife. If ya want fish for the table a man needs his tools!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-10, 10:36 AM   #11
zooker

wife what wife??

nuff said

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.