Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-10, 07:04 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Side-Imaging Screenshots

Well, I tried out a different memory card today, and the 1197 successfully saved a snapshot. Only problem is, it was in my garage, where the bottom is indeed very hard, and the only cover would be my wheelbarrow, lawnmower, and home gym.

So it's looking like the first screenshots I post will be from Dale Hollow, as it's supposed to be stormy here this weekend. Man....I wish I had a notebook PC so I could maybe give you a play-by-play from Dale, but I guess it will have to wait until I get back.
Old 04-20-10, 09:01 PM   #2
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
the only cover would be my wheelbarrow, lawnmower, and home gym.
umm bryce we have met. you did not strike me as the iron pumper..

zooker
Old 04-20-10, 09:35 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Zook...I actually used to work out 6 days a week before my L5/S1 rupture.

I would think you of all people would understand how your health can change overnight.
Old 04-21-10, 07:14 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nofear - Getting my unit installed this week. Can't wait to get out this weekend and play with it. Picked up an 8 gig SDHC card to store info on so I can take it home and watch it on the computer. Spoke with the techs and they said I could record more than just snapshots but "video" or record as I'm moving through an area. Also it will record all the other sonar modes at the same time unless I "hide" them. A lot to play with and I need to spend some throne time thumbing through the manual.....

Your post reminds me I need to email my friend and see about getting the hook up with some software for the unit.
Old 04-22-10, 11:05 AM   #5
Bender

Not to take away from this site, but if you want to get all kinds of software for viewing files and videos check out: http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?board=17.0
There's so much stuff out there that I quit messing around on the computer too much, it was cutting into fishing time. It is a lot of fun though and you can learn so much about what you are fishing.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 03:05 PM   #6
Cavs1123

sounds awesome bryce!!
Old 04-22-10, 04:06 PM   #7
3dkicker

Good stuff Bender. Thanks.
Old 04-22-10, 11:39 PM   #8
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have an 1157c and still getting used to it. And have a 1197. The 1157 I bought new with the boat the 1197 a local Craigslist find an angry wife sold me the 1197 brand new in the box never opened for $300 and apologized for selling it for so much. I got a few nice rods out of her too. Her X old man had great taste. HAD! (Sorry not looking to sell the 1197 just yet. Maybe later.)

I got lucky and the local regional rep was at Bass Pro and I got to spend a half day on the water with him a few other guys which helped me a ton. There are more features than I am using and I just don’t see how one could out grow it. My favorite that he helped me with was the play back feature. None is more important to me at the moment as I am trying to log almost every move in my journals.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 09:46 AM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Not to take away from this site, but if you want to get all kinds of software for viewing files and videos check out: http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?board=17.0
There's so much stuff out there that I quit messing around on the computer too much, it was cutting into fishing time. It is a lot of fun though and you can learn so much about what you are fishing.
Thanks for posting that link, Bender. I am a member, but like you say, there is just so much information out there, that I haven't really had enough time to really use the site much at all yet. Give it time.
Old 04-23-10, 04:12 PM   #10
3dkicker

Got another website about the Humminbird from my source http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging/

Haven't been on it yet but he said he gets info from it. That's all I need to hear because I've heard him present on the Humminbird a couple times. He's got a very good understanding of how the system works.
Old 04-23-10, 11:20 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Doug Vahrenberg is THE MAN when it comes to Humminbird Side Imaging. He's been very helpful with all of my pestering questions.
Old 04-26-10, 05:49 PM   #12
3dkicker

Got my transducer mounted last week. Picked it up Sat and went to the lake to see if it needed adjusting. Wasn't giving the best signal so I pulled the boat to adjust it. Found out that the mounting bracket had a crack in it . I couldn't adjust the transducer since the nut holding the bolt was spinning and I couldn't loosen it. Now I have to get another bracket from Humminbird and get it fixed.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! (think Charlie Brown....)
Old 04-26-10, 08:05 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Smitty....where did you mount yours? Now would be the time to learn from my mistake while you're back there. I put mine a bit right of center, and by just following their instructions, did not get it quite low enough. The mounting template they give you to drill the holes is more aimed at boats with a deep V, rather than a shallow one, so it will tend to put the transducer a bit high. (If you have gone the dual-transducer route and put it on your jackplate or something, kindly disregard my advice.)

As a result, I can see a faint bubble trail just "below" the left side of the graph, from the closest of my left side strakes creating just the tiniest bit of a bubble trail, even at idle. This is no biggie, and I could live with it.

However, mine does wig out on me at about 25mph, as it just gets out of the water stream, so I'm going to move it farther inboard, and down lower...this should fix both of my problems. So far, with almost no tweaking of the display at all, the picture is amazing. I just got my new card reader today, so expect lots of fun shots from Dale Hollow and Cumberland.
Old 04-26-10, 09:18 PM   #14
WTL

This is a general comment about the higher range hummingbird side imaging depth finders. :

**** on a shingle.

Theres an article in Infisherman talking about how search and rescue teams have used them to identify submerged cars and search for bodies. It included pictures, and I must say, as a certifiable cheap son of a something that those are worth the money and are a big time advantage.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 10:07 PM   #15
nofearengineer

WTL, and here I thought that whole "shingle" expression meant a bad thing.

But seriously...I have zero doubt you could spot a body underwater with them. If they will spot a 5lb bass, and even show the fork in its tail, they will definitely spot a drowning victim.
Old 04-27-10, 03:29 PM   #16
3dkicker

Nofear - mine is below and on the left. Opposite of the picture. I don't have a jack plate. My mechanic thinks it will work up to 40mph on my boat before it comes up out of the water. Book says top speed for the side scan is 6-10 mph. You only use the flasher screen or down scan while running. I also have a flasher on my dash that I will use when I'm doing 40-60+ mph.
Just make sure that if you move it lower it won't hit bottom if you run aground. That pivot arm is made to break away so you don't damage the transducer but I bet they end up costing a little to replace. I'm getting mine replaced for free. I spoke with Humminbird this morning about my issue and it's still under warrenty.
Probably stuff you've already thought about....
Old 05-01-10, 09:52 PM   #17
Rebbasser

Keep the reports coming, boys-I'm still deciding about getting one, and am leaning towards it.
Old 05-01-10, 10:12 PM   #18
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Keep the reports coming, boys-I'm still deciding about getting one, and am leaning towards it.

buy
buy
BUY!
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 01:40 AM   #19
66KingFisher

I know we just got a new boat and it seems we are already talking about all the money we want and/or need to spend on extra stuff we want for it......and these new side scan sonars are the cats meow....I sure want one,but the prices will have to come down before that'll happen...lol.

I look forward to hearing how yours does for you.....have fun with it and keep us posted.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.